Old 08-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Is this the guy?

From September 2009,

First picture at gros ventre campground.

second viewing Tetons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1191.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	494.4 KB
ID:	165964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1192.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	165965  

Old 08-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #198
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
That might be him. He hasnt shed his velvet yet this year

Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #199
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
stayed 4 nights in Grant , great campground, and easy to see the whole park from, shower were very nice , restaurant was also good.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Woohoo! We are in Livingston in a little RV park with hookups! We spent 6 days yellowstoning! We were done! But the road to Gardiner was a thrill ride! Warm brakes on the truck & traylah, despite using mostly gears. I'll post photos, but it was a relief to get on 89 across the Montana line. The whole trip out, from Grant CG, to Canyon Village, then across to Norris, and up to Mammoth is beAutiful, but requires a skilled AS driver and good nerves!

We saw lots of bighorn sheep above the river and stopped to watch them and cool our brakes at the river bridge.

I guess my favorite place was the canyon, Old Faithful Inn, not the Lodge.. Very different places. And I loved Grant Campground. We truly felt like we were camping there- unlike some places. We had a campfire, ran around during the day, hung around camp at night. The lake is right there down a short trail.

One thing- we had no AT&T service, a little Verizon. Truly unhooked. Kinda nice to be back in civilization.

On our way to Glacier National Park now, although we're taking two or three days to get there.

We saw a total of five Airstreams in the park ( including our friends who were at Grant with us) and met two on the way out.

I'll post photos when I get the computer up again!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Was that your rig with all the stickers on the rear window (including an AIR sticker)?
I was doing my campground rove and saw it but no one was home...

While I may be biased, I thing Grant is the best kept secret in the park.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Was that your rig with all the stickers on the rear window (including an AIR sticker)?
I was doing my campground rove and saw it but no one was home...

While I may be biased, I thing Grant is the best kept secret in the park.

Mike
We stayed at Grant on our last two trips to Yellowstone. It is our favorite campground at Yellowstone. Did not see a single AS at Yellowstone on our trip this year (except our own).

The Canyon area and Hayden Valley are our two favorite areas of the park.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #203
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We just left Yellowstone last Monday. We hadn't planned ahead to make reservations and when we arrived and wanted to stay at the Madison CG they were full. We turned around and just 3 miles west of the west entrance we found nice sites available in the Nat. Forest campground so we stayed there. Had a real nice site with electric. So if you can't find space in YS you don't have to go far to find a CG.

Enjoy

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
That was us!

Yes, Mike, that was us. And our friends were across the way in the same loop in the new, beautiful Airstream. Wish we'd been home. Would have loved to meet you and visit.

Boy, did we ever see a lot of people, like you said, who got no more sense than to run up to bull bison! We stayed in our truck, and that was scary enough, as I have photos to prove!

We really enjoyed the park. On to Glacier NP now. Thanks for helping keep it as magnificent as it is!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	166226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4474 - Copy.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	166227  

Name:	IMG_4599.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	166228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4600 - Copy.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	166229  

Reba McEntire

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
My Moose

Here's the moose who hung out in our campground at Gros Ventre, Grand Teton National Park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8130211.jpg
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	166230   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130212.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	166231  

Name:	P8130216.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	166232  

Reba McEntire

Old 08-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #206
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Woohoo! We are in Livingston in a little RV park with hookups! We spent 6 days yellowstoning! We were done! But the road to Gardiner was a thrill ride! Warm brakes on the truck & traylah, despite using mostly gears. I'll post photos, but it was a relief to get on 89 across the Montana line. The whole trip out, from Grant CG, to Canyon Village, then across to Norris, and up to Mammoth is beAutiful, but requires a skilled AS driver and good nerves!

We saw lots of bighorn sheep above the river and stopped to watch them and cool our brakes at the river bridge.

I guess my favorite place was the canyon, Old Faithful Inn, not the Lodge.. Very different places. And I loved Grant Campground. We truly felt like we were camping there- unlike some places. We had a campfire, ran around during the day, hung around camp at night. The lake is right there down a short trail.

One thing- we had no AT&T service, a little Verizon. Truly unhooked. Kinda nice to be back in civilization.

On our way to Glacier National Park now, although we're taking two or three days to get there.

We saw a total of five Airstreams in the park ( including our friends who were at Grant with us) and met two on the way out.

I'll post photos when I get the computer up again!
I was born and raised in Livingston, if you have not pulled out of town yet, you really need to go check out Matt's old fashioned butcher shop. They are closed Sunday and Monday.

Matt's Old Fashioned Butcher Shop
405 N 8th St Livingston, MT 59047(406) 222-5160

Matt has been the Montana state grand champion in smoked meats and other categories so many times over it is not even funny, he has a literal wall of trophies in his shop.

I strongly recommend the Buffalo and the Elk Jerky he sells. I will warn you however, it is more addictive than crack!

He also has an amazing selection of locally grown meats there at his shop. they also have a deli and their tater salad is amazing! There is plenty of parking there too, I have pulled in there several times in a Semi, you will have no problems with a travel trailer.

If you want a fine meal in Livingston the Montana Rib and Chop house is my pick in town, they make a wonderful buffalo ribeye!

Another place to check out is the Pickle Barrel, their cheese steak sandwich is oh my god good. Dave and Carla the owners I have known since I was 10 or 12 years old, they are great people. They run a heck of a business, you won't be disappointed with a lunch there.

As well if you feel like taking a short drive back south (you wont have to take your trailer) I strongly recommend you go to Chico hot springs, you can get a great meal there and their pool/hot tub is amazing any time of year.

There is something so relaxing about sitting by the pool looking up the mountain that literally is right next to the pool, and this time of year it will be so pretty.

Also as you all head north to Glacier Check out the Wheat Montana store in Three Forks, they have the most amazing muffins.

These are all the places I go when I am up in Montana, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

You know thinking about it, I think the moral of the story is Nick is hungry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	matts2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	166233  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #207
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I second the previous post. Love rib and chop, and the pickle barrel. Also Livingston is only 50 +/- miles from the north entrance. We needed one more day in the park, so we left the house about 5:30 am and spent the day in the Lamar valley and then ate in Gardiner.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #208
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Thumbs up Livingston

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, we're pulling out today! As I write Ray is attaching the bars. I would love to spend more time here because it's a beautiful, interesting place.

Sounds like someone may be a mite homesick as well as hungry!

BTW, there were several wonderful spots along the river on the way here, including two FULL campgrounds I would have loved to stop at. Can't remember the name of either one right now.

If we had come to the park this way, we would have stayed in one of those while visiting the north end of the park. The river & mountains are beautiful there.

We need to go on in to Bozeman today to restock from Wally World and see if we can get some things done which require a bigger town.

Reba McEntire

Old 08-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #209
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Don't forget about the target, home depot and Costco. All must stops when we are passing through, lol
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We are in Great Falls, MT tonight. I have a warning! Stay off 287 between Bozeman and Helena. It is torn out to the point there's nothing but washboard rock, dirt and gravel, and killer holes! I'm still picking up stuff off the floor that never fell before. Told my folks back home that Esmerelda and Red may be in pieces by the time we get home!

We got on I 15 at Helena and it was great. Lots of pulls and coasters down, but the scenery was magnificent.

Anyone have advice about the rest of the way to Glacier? I'm thinking 15 as far as we can, then cut across maybe on 2?

We saw a wonderful vintage going along I 15, but he got off just out of Helena. Met a newer Bambi on that awful stretch of torn out highway. We waved and blinked.

Ray turned around and back-tracked on I-90 when we realized we'd passed Montana Grizzly Encounter because he knew how badly I wanted to go! It was great. Admission is only $7. And it truly is a great experience. And Bill gives a great bear safety class, too. The bears have been rescued from various bad situations. One of the best values I've ever gotten for $7. If you come through Bozeman, don't miss it. This is the home of Brutus the bear, and Casey, who appear on National Geographic channel.

We love Montana! It's gorgeous in so many ways. And the people we've met are great.

We're at Dicks RV tonight. Place is between the interstate and the railroad tracks. Very noisy, but it's fine with the AC on, and it has some good features.

Reba McEntire