Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There are additional cell towers approved in the NPS communication plan for YNP but the issue is in the courts,

Somebody sues us over ever issue. Sooner or later it will get resolved as, fundamentally, it is a safety issue.

In the meantime, if you break down in YNP and you have no cell signal: get out of the car, everyone stare into the woods and point. 100 cars will stop.

Bears have been quiet this summer but the 3rd bison/human incident just occurred - no worries, bison is fine...

mike

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Mike, we were just there and had a good time. We mostly stayed in an RV park near the west entrance but the best nite we had was at the Mammoth campground. No hookups, no cell but beautiful. You sound a little jaded with the tourists.

Most people are naturally curious and part of the experience is the wildlife. For many this will be a lifetime opportunity to see these animals at somewhat close range. We didn't see any bison or bear but did see mountain goats near the north entrance. I already have reservations at Fishing Bridge for next year.

Without those pesky tourists the park system would wither up and die.

Adios,
Dan

Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #157
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
Mike, we were just there and had a good time. We mostly stayed in an RV park near the west entrance but the best nite we had was at the Mammoth campground. No hookups, no cell but beautiful. You sound a little jaded with the tourists.

Most people are naturally curious and part of the experience is the wildlife. For many this will be a lifetime opportunity to see these animals at somewhat close range. We didn't see any bison or bear but did see mountain goats near the north entrance. I already have reservations at Fishing Bridge for next year.

Without those pesky tourists the park system would wither up and die.

Adios,
Dan
Those elk grazing in front of the visitors center a week and a half back were very cool. We saw a couple of herds of bison right next to our car twice and a black bear at a distance. The most interesting was watching a badger for awhile trying to dig out a critter from it's hole, this was on a hike in the Tetons. Love the wildlife!
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah
I had thought the same thing, but after thinking about it, I came to realize that I didn't want all the stuff that goes along with getting a cell tower up. As well as the distracted cell phone drivers.... The bison is bad enough. After spending some time there it is nice that Yellowstone is still "wild"....ish.
I agree completely.

If Yellowstone were filled with cell towers, campgrounds with electricity, etc., that would spoil the whole effect and defeat the purpose for which national parks were created.

I would rather wait to make phone calls and check email until at a visitor center than look at all the trappings of modern society everywhere you turn your head.

If you visit at high season, there are already hundreds of others to be seen who are doing the exact same thing, and with which you must share. That is enough, in my opinion.

Maggie
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I just think a big parking lot and stacking in trailers is a bit silly for Yellowstone. Zion has a far nicer camp ground and not nearly as much land. Not as many peoples other . But I think the main hook up camp ground at yellowstone should have been in the trees. just my opinion. I will camp else ware because I hate being stacked in and avoid most RV parks because of it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #160
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
I just think a big parking lot and stacking in trailers is a bit silly for Yellowstone. Zion has a far nicer camp ground and not nearly as much land. Not as many peoples other . But I think the main hook up camp ground at yellowstone should have been in the trees. just my opinion. I will camp else ware because I hate being stacked in and avoid most RV parks because of it.
Honestly, Grant Lake was not that bad. I am super fussy and hate being crammed in. We had a shaded site and pretty decent privacy. We don't require hook-ups so that helps. Check out Pebble Creek CG at YS, if you can do first come it looks great online and was highly recommended to me, I knew we needed a reservation as we pulled in around 6:30p.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I expect the big parks to be crowded, and they were. When I want an isolated very personal experience I tent camp and hike. One day ay Yellowstone I wondered off of the boardwalk at Mammoth and had a great time. I ran into a Park Ranger way out in the middle of nowhere and he just told me to be cautious and respectful of the wildlife. I had on my GPS and I walked 12 miles that day and it was the best day at the park. If you go to these parks in the middle of the summer you gotta expect BIG crowds of tourists. Be inventive and resourceful if you want to personalize your experience.

We have Mt Rainier and Olympic in our backyard and have used them extensively for a lifetime. With these parks we know when to go, where to go and how to use the back country respectfully and safely. I have summitted Mt Rainier 4 times and have climbed extensively in the Olympics and along the coast. Knowing a park and the surrounding area is the best way to have a satisfying stay but you can't always do that.

Tourists (all of us really) are here to stay. Enjoy the wonderful things you experience when you visit. Only you can make your trip enjoyable and fulfilling......... And Holly, I'll see you in a couple of weeks. In a huge crowd.

Adios
Dan
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #162
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
I expect the big parks to be crowded, and they were. When I want an isolated very personal experience I tent camp and hike. One day ay Yellowstone I wondered off of the boardwalk at Mammoth and had a great time. I ran into a Park Ranger way out in the middle of nowhere and he just told me to be cautious and respectful of the wildlife. I had on my GPS and I walked 12 miles that day and it was the best day at the park. If you go to these parks in the middle of the summer you gotta expect BIG crowds of tourists. Be inventive and resourceful if you want to personalize your experience.

We have Mt Rainier and Olympic in our backyard and have used them extensively for a lifetime. With these parks we know when to go, where to go and how to use the back country respectfully and safely. I have summitted Mt Rainier 4 times and have climbed extensively in the Olympics and along the coast. Knowing a park and the surrounding area is the best way to have a satisfying stay but you can't always do that.

Tourists (all of us really) are here to stay. Enjoy the wonderful things you experience when you visit. Only you can make your trip enjoyable and fulfilling......... And Holly, I'll see you in a couple of weeks. In a huge crowd.

Adios
Dan
Yes indeedy,huge,dusty,hot and packed in like sardines. I can hardly wait LOL!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:

Adios
Dan
Agreed. Grew up there and. Limbed all the mountains out there. We can drive 20 min and be at 10,000 ft in the woods. But its fun for the kids to see new places. We will camp south of Yellowstone without hook up for four days. And love it. I don't mind the drive into the park. Good time for the kids to take a nap.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
The problem is that there is just enough coverage to be annoying, and not enough to actually work.... Take it all away or make it work
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc
The problem is that there is just enough coverage to be annoying, and not enough to actually work.... Take it all away or make it work
Question is? Is AT&t better or Verizion?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

Question is? Is AT&t better or Verizion?
I have VZ for the cell ph and AT&T for the Ipad, neither worked well until I got to the Signal MT Lodge at Grand Tetons. (No I really do ot work for them).
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We have T-Mobile which morphed into AT&T and quit working except cell after a few days. I saw one tower in one of the parks where an attempt to disguise it as a tree was obvious and hideous.

I have to say, I missed not having the internet. I wouldn't have admitted that even a couple of years ago and the truth hurts.....But, the internet and all it encompasses is sometimes a welcome diversion. I think the cell towers and all of the money making lodges, campgrounds, gas stations etc, are here to stay. Either that or user fees are going to go thru the roof.

As I've said before, the experience is what you make of it. Be adventurous, take that FS road, walk off of the wooden paths, get out of your car, walk, hike, climb. The crowds will melt away. The parts of Mammoth Hot Springs I saw off of the boardwalk were incredible. I was initially looking for a place to take a dip and as usual had to see what was beyond the next basin. I didn't see another person for over three hours.

Adios,
Dan
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mid Season Blues

I have to admit I am just getting over the mid-season blues.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that the vast majority of our visitors are wonderful folks who, though dazzled by what they see and experience, remember to treat the wildlife and the park with care and respect. After all, most are part owners.

You hit a wall about now after seeing so many people 25 feet from 2000 pounds of bull bison -- while holding their toddler in their arms. Or the folks who feel obligated to throw coins into the hot springs. Or the folks who show up at 5:00 PM on a July weekend with a 40 foot class A and curse you out because you can't knit them a full hook up site.

I promise to focus on the good and get off my soapbox.

All of you, please come here. Especially in June when the critters are everywhere but the crowds are thin and in September when the weather is wonderful and the park "sighs" in anticipation of winter -- it can be quiet and awe inspiring. 275+ waterfalls, 1000 miles of trails, half of the world's geysers, thousands of Elk and Bison and Pronghorn. Grizzlies... Wilcoxson's ice cream.

mike