Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #141
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Thank you, Mike!!

Just an historical note.... some of the big concessions in the older National Parks like Yellowstone pre-date a more environmentally aware approach to park management. The big NPS mandate is to protect the resource, without which we could end up with development inside the parks on the scale of Niagara Falls. Some parks actually dismantled some of their older tourist accommodations, but the big inn at Yellowstone is probably an historic landmark.

I think there is a place for private enterprise beyond the park boundaries. Rather than asking the government to spend more of our tax money to install more facilities on public land, it makes sense for business people on private land outside the parks to build RV parks with full hook-ups for those who want them.

Law Chick, we live in bear country and you are OK cooking in your AS or outside on your BBQ so long as the campground isn't posted otherwise. The Park Service monitors bear sightings in an effort to keep people separated from them. But for everybody's safety, it's best if you scrupulously clean up any sort of outdoor food remains (like a greasy grill), and don't leave any food lying around on your picnic table, &c. If you see a bear in a campground, just give it a wide berth and notify your campground host of Park Service staff right away.

Enjoy your Yellowstone experience!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #142
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Carol,

Don't worry about bears - the posts above have it correct - in fact, the reason Fishing Bridge was developed some 40 years ago was because, at that time, there were bears in the campgrounds quite frequently and there was a need for campgrounds for "hard-sided" units (most people camped in tents). Rather than take many of Yellowstone's fine campgrounds and change them for towed units and MHs, the NPS had the concessioner develop Fishing Bridge for RVs.

But, the bear management policies have worked well since the '70s and now, a bear in the campground is a rare occurrence, precisely because of the focus on food storage and sanitation. Most of what you probably know about bears in parks (and I say this with respect, with nothing personal intended) is from the sensationalism of every bear incident in a park making front page news. In fact, you'll have a greater chance from an injury in a national park from a bee sting, car accident, or a fall than from a bear encounter. Having said that, in Yellowstone it's the bison and elk that present problems most often these days - and that's because people think they are all tame since they are in the developed areas; thus, they get too close trying to get a picture. Keep your common sense about you and you'll be fine.

Yellowstone is one of the world's great places. There are so many things to see if you just find the right places to look (where? try the Lamar Valley, early morning or late evening; try the back parts of the geyser basins, check out the museum at Norris - ask a Ranger!). Someone on the forums said it would take 10 days to see Yellowstone -- that's a little short in my mind, but so many people tackle this 2 1/2 million acres of special-ness in only one or two days... then drive on. There is a reason its one of only 21 "World Heritage Sites" recognized in the United States by UNESCO as being so special that it should belong to everyone. It's your park -- have a great time!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA/AZ. . . We arrived at Fishing Bridge campground on June 5th last year. It snowed as we were setting up (JUNE 5th !) and a BIG grizzly walked thru the B loop the next morning. (saw her/him with my own eyes)' We love that place, but 2 people were killed by griz last summer. Go NOWHERE without bear spray handy. We'll be back next year, or maybe even this winter. Regards, Craig
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Thanks! We'll be getting bear spray. And cooking but cleaning up well!

Just read an interesting book about how the NPS years ago let the bears dumpster dive and encouraged people to watch. We live & learn I guess.

I asked rangers in both Custer State Park & Wind Cave why there are no bears in the Black Hills of SD. BOTH said because they were all killed because the early parks management thought they were too dangerous to tourists! Living & learning again!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #145
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
The rangers and/or the camp host will remove your cooler or your stove if you leave it outside your AS or TV. We were there for 5 days (ending today) and didn't hardly see or do anything, seems like. The attractions are very much like going to disneyland, but It was worth putting up with the rude people and not to smart ones.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Hi all.

We are in West Yellowstone now..leaving in the morning. This is our fourth visit and love it more each time. We've been on the road for six weeks. We have stayed in state parks most often with varying degrees of facilities. However, by the time we got here I was ready for catching up on news and laptop. This park is so nice and clean..it is spotless. There are restrooms and showers that are immaculate and don't require money to use. There is a laundry room and a game room that has a pool table. We are in space six and we never put out the awning because of the shade. The spaces are level and each space has a nice patio and picnic table. We have cable tv and wifi. We were here in 09 but had to leave early because of a family emergency. The owner very graciously gave our money back to us without any prompting from us. The one thing we were sure of when we started planning our trip we would stay at Wagon Wheel rv campground in West Yellowstone 406-646-7872. It's about 42.00 a day. Within two miles of the west entrance.

Predeta
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #147
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
Yellowstone is one of the world's great places. There are so many things to see if you just find the right places to look (where? try the Lamar Valley, early morning or late evening; try the back parts of the geyser basins, check out the museum at Norris - ask a Ranger!). Someone on the forums said it would take 10 days to see Yellowstone -- that's a little short in my mind, but so many people tackle this 2 1/2 million acres of special-ness in only one or two days... then drive on. There is a reason its one of only 21 "World Heritage Sites" recognized in the United States by UNESCO as being so special that it should belong to everyone. It's your park -- have a great time!
I have spent at least one week per year in Yellowstone over the past 4 years, and each time I find something new and amazing. It is one of the most fascinating and famous locations on the planet, for good reason. Take some time, get away from Old Faithful (although you have to see it once), and explore the park. It's tough to get sites in the park unless it's "off-season," usually before Memorial and after Labor day. Try reservations at Bridge Bay in the park, and there are some great campgrounds just outside the park.

I plan to go back for years to come.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah
The rangers and/or the camp host will remove your cooler or your stove if you leave it outside your AS or TV. We were there for 5 days (ending today) and didn't hardly see or do anything, seems like. The attractions are very much like going to disneyland, but It was worth putting up with the rude people and not to smart ones.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...owstone_.2.htm
hollyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #149
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:
The day we arrived at Center Camp YS about 2 weeks ago bears were sited in camp and we were given a warning, Black Bear Sow and 2 cubs. One camper left a sealed, closed cooler in his tent and was fined. We were told to use the bear safe boxes and not to leave anything out even for a minute. That week no campfires or grilling was allowed, I see that after the recent rain they lifted the fire ban.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #150
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Yeah, the ranger told use to keep the cooler in the car or in the AS. He said a couple of bears were in camp last Thursday and Friday. When I was at the back country office, they had a stack of coolers that they had pulled out of boats and camp sites, that had been left for the day. I think they were planning a party at the ranger station.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhunter
This seems to have moved. I'm gonna have to do some looking around for this article. Saw a grizzly on the road as you head north out of west Yellowstone, toward Bozeman. The road curves back into the park, and it was in there.... Way off the road. Going to head out to the lamar valley to see if we can spot anymore.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Mayto , Jalisco
Quote:

This seems to have moved. I'm gonna have to do some looking around for this article. Saw a grizzly on the road as you head north out of west Yellowstone, toward Bozeman. The road curves back into the park, and it was in there.... Way off the road. Going to head out to the lamar valley to see if we can spot anymore.
More here.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1322533.html
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
The only thing I really wish they would do it improve cell service in the parks, use some disguised towers or whatever...
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I had thought the same thing, but after thinking about it, I came to realize that I didn't want all the stuff that goes along with getting a cell tower up. As well as the distracted cell phone drivers.... The bison is bad enough. After spending some time there it is nice that Yellowstone is still "wild"....ish.