Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #1

1970 29' Ambassador
Chelsea , Michigan
Yellowstone campgound needs, 1970 29' Ambassador

Hello everybody
My wife and I have been planning this trip for months. As far as the planning it involves equipment, new axles etc. etc. etc. We have an almost fully restored 1970 29' Ambassador that we are trekking from Michigan to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. We are requesting any information on campgrounds in and around Yellowstone and on up to Glacier. We have made reservations up to this point but are at a loss for the remainder of the trip. Our return home trip will be across the top of the US on Hwy 2.
I have only a black tank, Exterior blue tank hope to have at least electric at the requested campgrounds. However boon docking can be done in between for a night or max 2. I will be watching this post from my android Air forum app. Thank you in advance for any information and tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Hills Shot.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	135570  
tkauranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
courtesy parking

Have you looked up the courtesy parking list for WY and MT and ID? You can do an advanced search on the members list. Fill in only the state and the Yes/no courtesy parking drop down, then hit search. Take advantage of some of the folks who know the area.
I am sure that there are Airstreamers who live nearby. Larry and I passed through that area a few weeks ago. We were lucky enough to have a friend who lived not too far.
There seem to be many CG near the entrances to the park. You will find that those outside of the park are usually spendy, and most of those in the park are pretty limited on amenities. Most of the ones inside are first come, first served unless to you get one of the few that take reservations.
Good luck with your search.
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Looking forward to many great photos of your travels
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
www.uscampgrounds.info could be of great help to you even at this late hour in your planning. Good luck on this great adventure. You destinations are a wonderful place to go with your Airstream. We spent a month traveling to Teton and Yellowstone last August. We called it "The Year Of The Bears" in Yellowstone after sighting eight Grizzlies. From all reports, this is another so go prepared for seeing old man Grizz in numbers. What fun you'll have!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Where in Michigan are you located? I am near Ann Arbor. In the UP, I recommend Munising Tourist Park on Lake Superior. Its a municpal campground and very nice and inexpensive. Also close to Picture Rocks National .
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
You didnt indicate when you are leaving. If you would like a nice rally before you leave. Check out DETROIT-Metro on Aug 12th -Aug 14th I think it is (CHECK THE SCHEDULE) I believe there are spaces left and We would like to see both of you Tkaurnan andKosm1o at Indian Creek Campground. We have a blast there. Its open to everyone as long as there are spaces available. Check with RHONDA or DRAGINWAGON. Im sure you will find lots of info and tips from those who have experienced it.
COME JOIN US
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I always stay in West Yellowstone, right by the west entrance to the park. Just as convenient as staying in the park and has full hookups. That puts us right by the grizzly bear attraction and close to fuel and restaurants.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
Yellowstone and Glacier

I used to stay at the Eagle creek campground in Gardiner (no hookups, i think the water is a hand pump...) which is very VERY reasonably priced and not always crowded due to its stealth location. Or at least it used to be pretty quiet... Madison canyon has some nice campgrounds as well, and is well worth the trip to see the earthquake damage. How many days do you wish to spend between the two parks? There are a few nice boondocking places I can think of.

At Glacier, the west side is fairly well developed and has most of the resort type campgrounds, grocery stores, and upscale restaurants. It is also full of people. Almost suburbia. Areas around Flathead Lake have some nice full hookup parks and if you go at the right time of year the cherries that grow there are delicious.

The east side is Blackfeet Indian Reservation and has some campgrounds but they may vary in quality or even functionality. I dimly recall a large resort type one somewhere near Babb. East Glacier has a quirky place called the Sears Motel which is a 1920's/1930's style tourist camp type place--with added on lavatories if you wish to spend a night "roughing" it lol. You may wish to go to Waterton Lakes National Park-there used to be a campground in Waterton Village (If i remember right you dont have to go through immigration to get to waterton from the Babb/St. Mary's area. If you wish to go further into canada, be warned that if you have a DUI/DWI The canadians wont let anybody across the border with one unless it was 12 years in the past and immigration has cleared you prior to showing up at the border crossing.) The Prince of Wales hotel is well worth a look--or even afternoon tea, and the waterton area is well within daily cruising range from the sights on the northeast side of Glacier. It is all two lane highway in this area though...

If you decide to boondock/government camp between the two, I can make some suggestions. Especially in the Butte/Helena/Craig corridor. I used to work for the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation and spent time patrolling many of the campgrounds in that area.
EricktheSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . We stayed @ Fishing Bridge for 12 days in June. Kinda tight quarters and NO wi-fi or cable TV or cell service. Roads in campground were atrociously bad. However, it's right in the middle of Yellowstone and minimizes the mileage in your sightseeing jaunts. Campground still had snow piled high 1st week in June. (heck, Yellowstone Lake was STILL ice covered !) Next time we'll setup a satelite TV deal and figure out the wi-fi options and probably stay there again. We liked being in the middle of the park. We looked at the choices in West Yellowstone and were not impressed. Enjoy YENP, it's a great place !, regards,Craig
Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Thumbs up Glacier and Yellowstone

We are currently in Hungry Horse outside the West Glacier Park entrance. Staying at the MeadowMountain RV resort and like it very much. It is hot today 90 degrees and the trees here have made the stay really great. Checked out the KOA about 3 miles down the road and it is clean, has a pool and restaurant and easy to get into spaces. It is flat (not much privacy) with few trees whereas our place has many elevations with each space on a different level so there is a lot of privacy. MeadowMountain has pull through spots and lots of trees but not as easy to park your trailer as at the KOA. Depends on what you are looking for. The shower facility is spotless also. We took a red bus tour (you will see these 1937 White motor company 17 psgr. limosines all over and recommend it!
Sunday we leave for Yellowstone and have reservations in Livingstone at the RiversEdge RV Park (comes highly recommended but a 30 min. drive to the park) for two days and then we plan to scope out the Yellowstone park camping and see if we can score a place for 5 more days. We like smaller boondocking camps so we are limited to the ones in Yellowstone that do not take reservations. Like to fish so hope to stay at Indian creek or Slough creek. Hope that helps! Nancy Wilson aka Mrs Fish
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
yellowstone

we have a trip planned beginning Sept 10 entering from the north and staying at the Mammoth campground, a first come, first served natl campground with no facilities, but water is available.

then on south to the Madison campground for two days where there is water and a dump station...it is closest to old faithful and close to the west entrance.

from there we head to Fishing Bridge on the east side of the park for two days where there are water and sewer but no electrical....

from there we head shouth to Grant campground, no electrical but dump facilities and then head out of the park with a possible stay at Lewis lake campground..... these three sites were reserable with madison and grant a golden age pass fee and fishing bridge was something like 36 bucks....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campgrounds, glacier, yellowstone