Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Thumbs up Yellowstone anyone?

We're thinking about going out there leaving NY sometime around the 9th of July any one planning on going there around that time.

Also looking for all suggestion on where to go stay and what to avoid?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Having done the trip ourselves last September I would save avoid the park till after schools starts! Actually we had a wonderful time. We took 26 days to travel from CT up to Canada, back down up the Big Horn into Yellowstone. We stayed in Yellowstone six days. We were supposed to stay seven but left one day early due to snow coming in and didn't want to drive down in the snow. Over 6,000 miles and it was a great trip! Have fun! Did you make reservations for in Yellowstone or a campground outside?

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Bob,
We did Yellowstone last August and it was fantastic. The area is amazing and there are no bad places to stay. I would get reservations now though as July is a busy month obviously. Yeah, you have to go watch old faithful to get the T-shirt but it will not be the highlight of the trip. We bought a year long pass that is good in all national parks so that is something you might consider before you leave so you can see other parks along the way. Have fun!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I heard from others that it may be better to book outsde the park and drive in any opinions on that?

Also are bookings needed if we are outside, I hate being boxed into dates.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Yellowstone is a fabulous place to visit!..there are a lot of places to stay w/in the area..only thing I'd try to avoid is 'the roamin' bison'..they're great to see, but at a safe distance!..we stayed at Fishing bridge near the Yellowstone Lodge and also in West Yellowstone which is in Montana..the Nat'l Park Pass for $80 is great to have for the year when visiting any of the Nat'l Parks and National Forests; there is a discount for Seniors. And if you have a chance, try Cody, Wyoming..if you are into Old West Artifacts, museums and Paintings at the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. ..don't forget to see the Grand Tetons, south of the Yellowstone Park.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
yellowstone treasure

You might even get up close and personal with a Bison, like my husband did!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bis20001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	31662  
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
We also did Yellowstone last September and we'll have to go back. There is just to much to see and do around there. We spent 3 days outside of the Grand Tetons Nat'l Park and then moved on up to astay outside W. Yellowstone for three more. This way we took in both parks. Codybear's right, you have to see Grand Tetons, including Jenny Lake. Take the ferry over to the other side and check out the hike to the top of a lower peak that overlooks the lake and includes several falls. Old Faithful is a must see but even more interesting was the Old Faithful Inn and the geiser walk all through the lower geiser basin around the Inn. I can't recall the name of the campground we stayed in while in the Tetons area. It was east of the park and we had the bottom spot that overlooked a meadow and could see the Tetons from our campsite.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Yellowstone is awesome, even when you've been there every year from the age of three!! I've missed the last decade though... and plan to go as soon as I can.

My dad lives in Jackson Hole and I have to insist you go there!! The Tetons are magnificent! As is the: Cowboy Bar, Cadillac Grill (awesome burgers), Bar J Chuck-wagon (cool cowboy tourist thing to do), Shoot-outs in the town square, the Snake river: Rafting, fishing....

The Cody museum is definitely worth the trip!

Yellowstone will be packed, for sure, but just prepare yourself for many morons, and lots of people careening off the road at the sight of animals, usually buffalo... sometimes logs.... Keep a safe distance- they're crazy!

And watch out for the buffs- they are unpredictable and can be VERY dangerous!

Inside Yellowstone: The Inn at Old Faithful and Lake Lodge are amazing, both in their own way! Be sure to take the walks to the geysers, mud pots, and visit Hayden Valley at dusk for the best wildlife opportunity.

If you hike, be sure to read up on bears! On a hike deep in the woods my dad got nervous and turned us around. The next day a ranger woman was eaten!! It's always exciting....!!
Have Fun!!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We have stayed at the Teton Villiage KOA in Jackson, and at the West Yellowstone KOA. Both nice parks for different reasons.
If you choose to base out of Jackson, it's about an hour up to Y/S park.
The park roads are layed out in a figure-8, or an upper loop and a lower loop. I would suggest taking a day for each loop. We did the outer perimeter in one day, and it was just too much driving with not enough time to really stop and enjoy all of the things we would have liked to.
We have been there in July both times. Yes it was busy, but not crazy like Yosemite. While another time of year may be less busy, I would not avoid July.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I was planning on bringing our canoe hows the water in and around to paddle about?

Also will our motorcycle come in handy if we're based outside to go in and out of the park?

What time in the morning can you drive into the park to avoid traffic?

Old 02-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Distance?

Bob,
We also did Yellowstone after Labor Day and it was not crowded. We stayed just outside the North entrance. The only problem with staying outside the park is the amount of driving you have to do to see the entire park, it's as big as a small state, and we weren't fighting crowds. If you can get a reservation at one of the interior campgrounds, I would opt for that. We spent a week and didn't scratch the surface although we saw all the significant sights. By all means bring your canoe, the lake is huge. A motorcycle would be a great way to tour.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Plan on picking up me and my family to tag along.

Just kidding. After 5 trips myself and my wife on her 15th (she got a head start on me before we meet) we always see something new. It is a beautiful place to be.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
yellowstone

We are planning to use the 2008 International in Bozman as a base of operations to visit Yellowstone again. We last visited in 1989 the year after the big fires. The park is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. We stayed at the KOA in west Yellostone and did a different loop each day we were there for 4 or 5 days. I agree the Old Faithful was cool but far from the highlight, just walk back into the Geyser basin behind Old Faithful, they are not as reagular but some are much more spectacular.

Do not be in a rush as traffic jams occour any time any place depending on where the wildlife is close to the road.

We are planning on taking the Harley with us and using it as our mode of touring transportation. If you take the bike wathc out for the tourtist as they will be watching the wildlife not the road. Also as the Rangers where to go and what to see , they are a much under used source of good tips.

I would highly recommend a trip down to Grand Teton.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
The Tetons are part of the plan.

Are there any places to just boondock?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
We will be at the Fishing Bridge RV Park, inside Yellowstone from June 25th until June 30th. It’s the only campground in the park with full hookups. This will be our first camping trip “out west” and our first big trip with the Safari. We are really looking forward to it.

I went skiing at Jackson Hole a few years ago and I agree that the Tetons and Jenny Lake are beautiful.

Are any more Streamers going to be at Fishing Bridge? Is it a nice campground?
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
What time in the morning can you drive into the park to avoid traffic?
Between 03:15 and 03:16.

But seriously folks, depite the amenities I would avoid Fishing Bridge like a confused moose who thinks your Airstream is a moosette. Crammed in like sardines and when I was there the water pressure was soooo high it almost blew out my pipes and I had to disconnect and use the tank.

We also stayed at Madison and thought it was great. Centrally located, lots of room and excellent campfire programs. Best coyote chorus I ever heard at night.

If you have pets the National Parks are really persnickity. Yellowstone was also the only place I ever camped that a little greywater leaking on the blacktop was ever mentioned.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
In summer, stay inside the park

In summer, I'd recommend staying inside the park. I take that back, stay within the Yellowstone park no matter when you visit. As someone else mentioned, the distances can be long and there will be traffic jams during the high season ... all it takes is a herd of buffalo crossing the road to stop traffic.
We visited 3 years ago in September and stayed at Fishing Village, with hookups. Next time, and that will be within the next few years, we'll stay at the primitive campground near the north entrance. In September, we practically had the park to ourselves, at least in comparison to summertime. It was very relaxing and very beautiful. Hang around for 5 days or more, paddle, hike and visit the developed sites. Don't forget a lunch or dinner at one or both of the lodges.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I always camped when visiting Yellowstone as a kid... I'd have to check with my dad to remember the camping facilities. I do know that the last time we went we did a 'day-trip' (J.H to Yellowstone & back) and we missed sooooo much. You definitely need time, it IS huge!!
I can't believe I forgot- you have to take the hike down to upper falls (could be lower- I can't recall-- but the BIG one), it is a long down/ and back up, but incredible, because you're practically on the very edge of the waterfall. You can feel the spray!! It's worth the gnarly hike!

Canoe- yes!! Jenny lake, the lake at the Lodge, and even a scenic trip down parts of the snake are awesome!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Old photo of the Falls

Try zooming in and look to the top right... that's where you hike down!!

And the other pic I found on-line- it's pretty cool!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstreampic 001.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	31708   Click image for larger version

Name:	campfire wyoming.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	31709  

Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Memories of Yellowstone.......

Wow...

I may be a little off base by saying this, cuz it was 1975 when i was last there in Yellowstone... But when I was just a kid, and traveled with my Grandparents in their Airstream, Yellowstone was definitely their favorite, and we went there every other year from the summer of 69 to the summer of 75.

I remember we always stayed at Fishing Bridge... i have since heard that it is the only "full-service, full hookup" trailer park in the whole Park.....true???

[Sidenote here....once in awhile my (10 and 12 y/o) kids and i will comment on gas prices, and they ask me what was the cheapest price I ever remember.....and i will always remember the Conoco Gas Station in front of the Hamilton Store at Fishing Bridge.....this would be Summer 1969. 22 cents a gallon!!]

Are the Hamilton Stores still there in the Park??? Prolly not....I am talking near ancient history here!!!

Definitely, do not miss the Old Faithful Inn....Canyon Junction, and the Morning Glory Pool.... Norris Junction.... The falls are something to see...

Gramps used to roust me up out of my bunk sometimes at 5am, to go fishing with him, and we'd drive down the road from Fishing Bridge, and go to a place called Sand Point. Also another place called Sedge Creek. These were both on Yellowstone Lake, or the river.....one... But I distinctly remember seeing these absolutely HUGE bear paw prints fresh in the sand and mud on the looooong trail thru the woods leading back to Gramp's fishing holes. One time, inevitably, we met up with Mrs. Smokey the Bear, and her two cubbies. They were about 100 ft away, and mama was visibly bothered by our trespass.
Gramps and i verrrrrry quietly retreated back thru the trail to our car....and from then on, Gramps carried his trusty .45 in his jacket pocket with him when we trekked thru the wilderness at Yellowstone!! haha!!

We always stopped at Cody on our way into the park, and then stayed a day or two at Jackson Hole. Used to be an awesome place to eat there on the main drag called the Wagon Wheel in Jackson Hole.....prolly loooooong gone now.

Now, 30+ years later, and I have my own 69 23' Safari, a clone to the one I made those wonderful trips in many yrs ago..... My kids have placed Yellowstone as their #1 favorite destination they want to see.....so....looks like that clinches it!!

I'll be on the phone soon to make reservations at Fishing Bridge!!!

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich
WBCCI #22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote