Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Go see the Grand Canyon and Artist's Point and go see as many thermal walks and springs as you can. Pack food in the truck and be prepared to stop and spend lots of time as wildlife and scenery will catch your fancy. Get a fantastic meal in the big lodge in Grand Tetons or at Old Fathful and be amazed at the huge old timber built interior. Go to Oxbow, Snake River and Signal Mountain. Watch for wolves at Lamars Valley. Buffalo will surely stop you as might elk or even an occassional bear and moose sighting. I may have twisted up some names but that is basically what I remember.

We liked staying outside at Edge of the Park in Livingston but that is a long drive and we stayed at the old KOA in Moran Juction when visiting Grand Tetons. But staying at Fishing Bridge was ideal for saving time and gas and getting right to sightseeing. The roads are long. Go to Jackson Hole for a fun day or evening of tourism and good food and drink.

You can order day trip booklets in advance and be looking them over according to length and difficulty. I think we did a couple of hikes, one around one of the Grand Teton Lakes and another near the elk refuge and Jackson Hole entrance. Wish I was going back soon!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Just an FYI. I have been researching a Yellowstone trip for August and found out there will be no electric at Fishing Bridge in 2010 to cut costs and because the wiring needs to be replaced in the park. We are at a loss. We are going to spend a week at Custer State Park and then on to Yellowstone. Now looking at places in Cody around the East entrance. Any suggestions?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #17

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It looks like we are headed that way in Aug also....
sounds like the start of an informal Caravan...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Reservations ay Bay Bridge and Tetons

If you reserve a camp site say at Bridge Bay or in Grand Tetons, do you get a specific site reserved or is it a place and then you have to stake out what's available upon checkin? If we're traveling with another trailer we would want two sites together so can we reserve it that way. Or is it first come first served, even with reservations. Other thing is if we drive from Denver to Yellowstone it's a long day at least 10 hours so we'd be getting there late.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
If you reserve a camp site say at Bridge Bay or in Grand Tetons, do you get a specific site reserved or is it a place and then you have to stake out what's available upon checkin? If we're traveling with another trailer we would want two sites together so can we reserve it that way. Or is it first come first served, even with reservations. Other thing is if we drive from Denver to Yellowstone it's a long day at least 10 hours so we'd be getting there late.
Tetons/Jackson has some private CGs that you can reserve.
If you are coming from the west, there is a nice KOA in West Yellowstone which is a small town on I-15. That puts you right at the west entrance to Yellowstone.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We stayed at a great campground about a 10 minute drive from the west gate of Yellowstone this year called RedRock RV. It's privately owned and the owner takes substantial pride in the place. Sites were spacious and the view was to die for. Even full, this place feels not too busy. It's about 5 miles off the main drag and so you have to want to go there.
Very close to Henry lake if you fish, and you can drive into Yellowstone easily. We will be going back. Highly recommended but not very big - you need reservations. Despite the link name they allow trailer and even tents. RedRock RV Park Home Page for Motorhome and Fifth-wheel travelers

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Rich, you might opt to not stay in Yellowstone NP at all. Consider, instead, camping in Shoshone National Forest which borders Yellowstone on the east side. The campground is about fifteen miles from the park entrance. Rex Hale Campground accepts reservations at recreation.gov within the national forest. Far fewer people, more wildlife (read -- bears). Hardside campers only, so no tents nor pop-ups to compete with for a site.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
If you are coming from the west, there is a nice KOA in West Yellowstone which is a small town on I-15.
Ditto that, there is also a great KOA around Jackson Hole on the Snake River.

Camping and Campgrounds - KOA Kampgrounds of America, Inc.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We prefer campgrounds with no hookups but it does limit your stay unless you're running a generator. We've stayed in most of the campgrounds in Yellowstone and prefer Grants Village. It's a nice wooded campground on the lake, and it offers pay showers, and laundry. The showers really make a big difference in how long you can dry camp. We've gone 5 nights with the 4 of us with water to spare, we just have to be conservative on the battery power.
If you have to have hook ups I'd recommend Colter Bay in Grand Teton. We've tried Flagg Ranch, and Fishing bridge in past years and didn't like either one. They're both too much of a parking lot atmosphere. We're going to skip Yellowstone this year, but I'm sure we'll be back in 2011.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We stayed at the Madison Arm RV Resort (www.madisonarmresort.com), a little north and west of West Yellowstone. It is a small family run resort that is really quaint and quiet. We had full hookups, and the rates seemed a little high, but everything is at Yellowstone.

A couple of notes, the dirt road that leads in seems pretty smooth with just light ripples, but it took me almost an entire day to run into town, purchase longer wood screws and other miscellaneous hardware, and to remount nearly all of our cabinet doors, along with our closet door. If you do decide to stay here (and it really IS worth the short drive from West Yellowstone), just drive r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w on this road with your Airstream. I was more irritated to see how the factory used short screws on all of the hinges, etc., than I was about actually remounting all of the doors. Oh, the oven door came off, and the refrigerator popped open and dumped a lot of stuff on the floor. I was only driving about 25-30 mph, and some of the notes on the Internet mentioned this road rattling the heck out of trailers, so I was forewarned, but this was a real surprise. On the way out we drove about 15-20 mph and had no problems.

By the way, West Yellowstone has a lot to see too, including the Bear and Wolf exhibit and lots of tourist shopping. And, the West entrance to Yellowstone appears to be in the city limits, just a block or two from "downtown".

When we go to Yellowstone again, we'll stay at Madison Arm Resort again. It was a great place to rest after all of the driving and sightseeing in the park.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #25

2007 19' Bambi
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I am planning a trip to the Tetons (Colorado Springs to the Tetons) with my immediate (Wife and 2 kids: 9 & 5) and my extended family (parents: 70s, nephews and neice: 13-19, and brother). Total group camping will be 13-16 people. One airstream (19), motor home (21), possible popup trailer, and tents. Any suggestions for this mob would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Tetons Camping

We are planning on staying at Coulter Bay Village campground right before the 4th of July. It has full hookups and a great view of the mountains.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Tetons Camping

Not all of the campgrounds take reservations in the parks which is why we went with Coulter Bay. Going to leave from Denver and make the drive there July 2nd.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
If you have to have hookups, then you made the best choice in Coulter Bay. For things to do if you're not familiar with Yellowstone, I'd take a first day at starting at the Old Faithful Inn it's worth checking out and they have good ice cream if you'd like to take a cone around the boardwalk. Then see Old Faithful and do the complete walk around the boardwalk which is a couple of miles. Make sure you walk all the way to the end to see Morning Glory. You can then spend the rest of an entire day just checking out the thermal basins in that area. Another complete day that you might want to get an early start on would be going to Artist point at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. There are some great hikes from this area and if you time it right you can see the Canyon in the early morning sun, then take in a long hike and see it again later in the day. Taking a day to check out the Roosevelt lodge area is also well worth it. Pack a lunch and take in a hike while your at it. Most of the bears I've seen in Yellowstone have been in this area. You will put on a lot of miles if you plan on taking in Yellowstone in a week. It just takes a long time to get from one part of the park to another.

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Not all of the campgrounds take reservations in the parks which is why we went with Coulter Bay. Going to leave from Denver and make the drive there July 2nd.