Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
YellowStone & Grand Canyon CG

Some friends are headed to Gran Canyon in June actually leaving Fl June 3rd

Figure getting there in 4-5 days, I suggested going a bit slower and making about 2 stops along the way.
they are heading north rt 75 from FL, any suggestions on where to stop on the way there for a few nights.

Secondly, they want to try and book a CG near Gran Canyon by some type of water feature lake river any suggestions?

In July they want to head to Yellow Stone, any suggestions on nice CG again if possible with water or great views from the site.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
North Rim of the GranD Canyon, has some sites very close to the rim but it's a long way down to the water. They could go to Lee's Ferry and camp near the Colorado River and take a raft trip up to Glen Canyon Dam. Yelowstone has a CG near the lake but none with a great lakeside view. Suggest to your friends that they use Allstays.com to search CG's along the way and for destinations.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
I live just north of Yellowstone and we like to stay just outside of the park at "Yellowstone Edge" RV park, very clean great hosts and it's alongside the Yellowstone river just about 40 minutes from the north entrance at Gardiner.
Glad to see they will be coming up in July, we just got five more inches of snow last night.....
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Some ideas here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ne-115625.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...on-112027.html
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have stayed at the Grand Canyon North Rim NP campground which is near the rim as mentioned above, but it is a 150+ m drive between the N and S rims. I also stayed in a private RV Park at Tuyasan near Grand Canyon Village. Not that scenic, but convenient. I heartily recommend the Grand Canyon Imax film across the street.

In Yellowstone I stayed at Fishing Bridge and Madison. Fishing Bridge is crowded with small campsites. Madison is very open with lots of space.

Also be prepared to pay $5+ for gas in the park.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
yellowstone in june

for those coming from fla. be aware that temps in june can be below freezing at night, and the tap water in the bathrooms is just above freezing! Thank goodness for the smaller volume to heat inside a 65 caravel! the 40 yr old heater worked great. The bear claw marks on a tree behind our campsite were above my reach, so no food left outside also. happy trails, joe in Minnesnowda.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not a lot of campsite choice in Yellowstone. Fishing bridge is near the river and Yellowstone lake. Buy you are in a large parking area, not on the banks. One pretty place to consider spending a few days is Page, Arizona on Lake Powell. Probably the prettiest lake view campsites I have seen. Beautiful golf course. Lots and lots and lots of lake. And they do rafting trips from below the dam down to Lees Ferry and bus you back. But you cannot do the same float on your own. Colter bay in Grand Teton is on a nice lake, has a great trout river below it, and you can drive into Yellowstone. But the campsites are in the scrubby woods. Both rims of the Grand Canyon are in high dessert country. I do not think the north rim even has water hookups? I like the North Rim and the campground near the lodge. There were private campgrounds with a small lake and green trees 20 or so miles back from the lodge and north rim campground.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
One pretty place to consider spending a few days is Page, Arizona on Lake Powell. Probably the prettiest lake view campsites I have seen. Beautiful golf course. Lots and lots and lots of lake. And they do rafting trips from below the dam down to Lees Ferry and bus you back. But you cannot do the same float on your own.
The rafting companies haul people and their personal kayaks, canoes, etc. up the river from Lees Ferry to the dam or anywhere along the way you choose. You can then float down at your own pace as a day trip or overnight on the river.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
That would be a good trip. And we saw lots of trout. Would be a good fishing trip.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . At Yellowstone, Fishing Bridge is a sardine parking lot, but the ONLY one in the park with hookups (& $3.50 showers I think). It's also very convenient for day trips thru-out the park. The camping at Mammoth is prettier, less close together & right at park HQ, but no hook-ups & it's a ways to Old Faithful. West Yellowstone has recommended commercial parks (Grizzly something), but again, it's a long way to Lamar Valley & the road to Red Lodge. The most crowded months are August, July, & June, in that order. For Grand Canyon, North Rim is a LOT quieter, campground is in the woods, has no hook-ups, no water features, but neither does South Rim. IMO, unless you're going 'below the rim', hiking/mule ride to the river, etc, it's a one day visit. We love both places & try to go to each once a year. regards, Craig
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
We are on a 3 month US adventure, and will be at Yellowstone and the surrounding area from May 17-23. We are staying at Madison CG in the park (current reservations at $7 per night with the NP Annual Pass), as this is our 1st adult RVing trip to this area. We had looking for a CG outside the park, however couldn't find one for this time of year. I am sure the weather is going to be different from Bend NP in Texas last month at this time.

Any better options from seasoned travelers in recommended! However our dates are pretty firm, as we need to get to AlumaPalooza by the 26th
Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
If they go to the N Rim, how long should they plan on staying?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote