Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The KOA near the West entrance is pretty nice, especially premiere/deluxe sites with BBQ and patio. Great if you want a break from dry camping and want to do laundry.

2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Don't miss Colter Bay in Grand Teton NP! Full hookups spacious sites. I would stay a couple of nights in Yellowstone at one of the campgrounds without services, spend 1 night at Fishing Bridge to dump tanks and get water and charge batteries, and move on somewhere else.
Glacier is one of our favorites. We stayed at Apgar this year and loved it. There is another campground nearby that you can reserve. We met some other Airsteamers on the Red Bus Tour (don't miss that!) and they were staying at the KOA and said it was great. If you have the time you may want to consider going into Canada and visiting Waterton NP. Awesome campground in the park with full hookups.
You are planning what was one our favorite trips in the Stream. Eleven months is not too early to plan such an awesome trip! PM me if you have any questions.

John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
You can only boondock for two nights? Wow, you guys must make a lot of trips to the john. We can do 5 nights. We did the Yellowstone trip in July. Never made a reservation and never had trouble finding a campground. We make sure we hit the CG before 10:00AM. We don't need hook ups. Stayed at Lewis lake for 3 nights, dumped at Grant village, then stayed at Tower Fall two nights. Water is available everywhere.
The problem for us always seems to be fresh / grey water. A couple of nights are no problem. But much past that, rationing / managing those tanks starts to take the fun out of it. Our 7 gallon fresh water tote does help somewhat. We also have one of those portable grey tanks, but I do not enjoy working with that in the least. It's not coming with us if I can avoid it.

I think we are going to build a plan around spending a couple of nights each at a some of the Yellowstone campgrounds (Canyon, Madison, Grant, Bridge), plus several more nights at Coulter Bay.

Glacier looks like it will have to wait for another year. We will not be able to take nearly as much time as we first though.

Thanks to everyone who's responded to this thread. I really appreciate your advice.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't know the size of your grey tank, but ours is about 10 gallons, and so boondocking is a challenge. We could go 4-5 days, being very careful.

If you must go without reservations, go anyway, stay in National Forest sites, and think of it as a challenge.

We spent about 3 weeks in 2013 roaming the Rocky Mountains, staying mostly in National Forest sites, and found a couple of things which stretched our holding tank capacity a bit. It was a wonderful time, in beautiful, forested sites.

I found a collapsible bin online, 5 gallons, I think, which I believe Camping World may now sell, that we stood in to take navy showers. Most of the water ended up in the bin, which we then dumped a ways away from our campsite.

You can take a decent shower in a couple of gallons of water. Sponge baths are also better than nothing, but a person like me who sweats needs a proper shower every other day or so, even a spartan one. The cooler temps at elevations helped me stretch out time between shampoos, too.

We also bought a couple of 2 1/2 gallon solar showers, which worked very well, and which we used ouside to wash our hair. These take up very little space when empty. When you are filling your fresh water tank, these can be filled as well and stored in your shower. I don't recall the brand, but if you google "best solar shower", they will come up. You can shampoo outside, into the collapsible bin.

That said, some high-bear-traffic areas in the National Forest sites specifically prohibit any grey water on the ground. Some of these have dump sites for dishwater/bath water.

Lots of paper plates and french fry bins for simple meals cuts down on dishes, too.

It could be a great adventure!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Did this trip this past summer. DID make reservations in January. Per other posts West Glacier KOA is tops. West Yellowstone KOA is nice, get a patio site and it's only five miles from West Gate. We stayed here for a week in September. People who work camp and own the place are great, one camper had an old Motorhome and one slide would not go in, we worked on it for a while with no luck. Then three maintenance people came over, spent and hour on the thing, took part of the slide floor up, beat it back in shape with a hammer and bingo the slide worked. Owners told the MH owner not to worry about staying late or overnight if it could not get fixed. It was fixed and off they went. KOA should be pleased with the way this park responded and it did not appear to be the first time.

We generally stay with hookups. We have been tenting in our past lives both car and canoe, up to the Artic Circle and have decided that "glamping" is now much more to our style.

Enjoy, both parks are amazing. Our fist visit. Also, if you have time jump down to Arches in Moab, UT. Turned out to be my favorite place.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote