Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Wyoming Route

I am starting to plan for my trip down to the Balloon Festival this fall and have a question about a route through the northern part of Wyoming.

Want to get from Red Lodge, Mt to Gillette, Wy. I would like to leave Red Lodge on 308 to 72 north toward Bridger. From there take 310 south to Lovell, Wy and follow alternate route 14 east to Sheridan, Wy.

I am a bit concerned about the pass between Lovell and Sheridan. When flying over my route via my 3D Google Map thing it looks rather steep with switch backs.

So, has anyone driven this while pulling an Airstream? Looks like pretty country and I would prefer going this way than back through Billings on I-90.

Thanks all.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't think you will have any problem with the Tundra driving Hwy 14 from Lovell to Sheridan. But why would you want to swing that far north?
If you take Hwy 16 from Worland to Buffalo. The scenery is fantastic and it's a good road. Drove it last year pulling our 26' Argosy. Had no problem. My TV was a '98 Dodge at the time. Now I am the proud owner of a 2008 Tundra with only 9200 miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to take either route.
Travel Safe

Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I drove the pass between Lovell and Sheridan. Happily, I didn't have my Airstream in tow. It is rather steep, with switchbacks. That is the Bighorn mountains after all. At TG Twinkie mentioned, Worland to Buffalo.... or Thermopolis to Casper might be better. I don't know. I have not done that, but I'm curious myself. I almost took that route last fall, but chickened out and stayed on the interstate. I'm curious to explore that route.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We drove the Bighorns a few years back, completely by accident...(Head for the hills 2006?)

It is possible to tow over them, we saw a pile of big-o-class a RV's making the route. It's NOT a route where ya set the cruise and listen to a book on tape. It will work your tow vehicle and the brakes of your trailer.

Having said that, we are planning a boon docking trip up there in our 26' Overlander in a year or so!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I can tell you that the road between Thermopolis and Casper is like driving across the moon. If you are looking for a scenic drive. This route is not it. We travelled this route on a trip to Cody. Not wanting to take the reverse trip home. We picked the route via Hwy 16. Much more enjoyable and scenic drive. Again; I don't think you will have any issues taking the route from Worland.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Thanks

I have driven I-90 all the way from Seattle to Billings and then south to Buffalo and on down all the way to Denver. I wanted to avoid the freeway on this leg of the trip so I posted the question.

I really appreciate all of your responses and have settled on the route from Worland to Buffalo. Now to figure out the leg from Gillette to the Bad Lands.

You might be hearing from me again. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
It's worth the stop in Buffalo to eat at Winchester's and see the old hotel in town.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
If you are not averse to mountain driving I would suggest going through the Big Horns ,the road is very good and the scenery is awesome. Sure ,you have to pay attention but it is much better than driving the Dan Ryan in Chicago or I-95 on the East coast.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I've not driven either of the Bighorn routes to Sheridan, but have done Tensleep to Buffalo and it is also very scenic and not terribly steep or switch-backy. Tensleep canyon has limestone cliffs on either side, and a couple of Forest Service campgrounds before you start going up, and some more up top I think. TG Twinkie hit the nail on the head regarding the highway going east into Casper- it is a hellscape even by Wyoming standards.
The town of Tensleep is nice too- and somewhat on the map for an ice-cream and souvenir shop on the corner. There's also a road heading due north from there that takes you to Medicine Lodge Archeological State Park, that you can pm me about if you're interested. Have a good trip!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I just looked back, we drove the Shell to Dayton route, hwy 14? In early June and it was still snowy up top. Like I said earlier, it ain't a 'cruise control' drive but we drug the 29' Airstream over and down without mechanical or mental brake down.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote