Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
San Jose , California
so I guess the Tetons and Jackson are swamps?

Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
I'm going to follow this thread as the first 1500 miles I put on my truck and a/s are taking me straight to Yellowstone! (but in August....)
Is August expected to be drier?

Great, thorough report. Greatly appreciated!

KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
I wouldn't expect that from the report. The Yellowstone basin is at 120% of average. That is just above normal. So I'd expect it to be nice and green, but not appreciably wet. Should be great.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
I'm going to follow this thread as the first 1500 miles I put on my truck and a/s are taking me straight to Yellowstone! (but in August....)
Is August expected to be drier?

Great, thorough report. Greatly appreciated!

I'll go out on a limb and say yes, it will be drier. It would be remarkably outside of the norm to be significantly wet in August. Stranger things have happened though.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Mid June, July and August should be.... WONDERFUL or not.

Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
Just keep an eye on the snow line of the mountains. The lower the snow line on the Tetons of Wyoming or Front Range of Colorado... expect more than average dampness and afternoon showers.

I have been stuck on Pikes Peak on July 4th with 6 inches of snow, waiting for the snow to be plowed off the top of the asphalt road. In Colorado Springs, beautiful day.

I have been north of DuBois, Wyoming down to 18 degrees F in July. That day back into the mid 70's and nothing unusual after that freeze.

Thalweg is the Wyoming barometer and rain guide. He will see it AFTER the Tetons and Yellowstone have been delivered their weather.

I have always considered High Country Travel... over 6000 feet, to be warm/hot days and cool humid nights to be normal expectations. Getting out too early in the mornings to hike will wet your hiking boots and socks. The dew and water drawn out of the ground by cool temperatures is the norm.

Today at Castle Rock... it has not rained since... sunrise. Humid. Damp grass on our morning dog hike. Clouds forming for the typical afternoon shower and then clear sky evenings. The higher peaks to the West of Denver are full of snow this year. The snow line is down the mountain, with clouds forming over them every day and then move east over the prairie. The previous two years were wet for us. This Spring was a Winter-Spring-Fall since February. I am not going into the mountains of Colorado until July, maybe August if I even see the Monsoon developing for another round of downpours.

Arapahoe Basin Ski Area plans to stay open until July... maybe longer on weekends if there is snow worth skiing.

I have tried fishing the South Platte west of Sedalia, CO when it was running high in June... forget it. So watch even the River Flows that can be found somewhere on the internet. I cannot imagine the North Platte of Wyoming and how high it must be running.

I have seen downpours for Sturgis in August. The "real bikers" camped in tents and canvas tied with ropes get a real test of courage. Finding a place to camp a trailer has to be a challenge itself, as I show up, park, look around downtown and leave Sturgis. Not staying overnight. The Sturgis Police Department will knock on your door if you are parked in town overnight...

The next time my wife speaks with her sister south of Jackson, I will have her ask if it is drying out. She has said the Mosquitos are thick and bloodthirsty. Even where I live there are small "M" leaving smaller itchy welts.

I know if you have plans for June, July or August... GO. Just be prepared for damp humid mornings. Fishing could be spoiled by the heavy snow melt that could continue until the snow falls on top of last year's snow fall. Which would be unusual, even for Colorado.

Call me a "Fair Weather Camper" but I also do not plan to camp out at Death Valley in 125 degree sunny weather, either. Just some years deliver great conditions for Ranches and Reservoirs... but for tent campers... miserable living conditions. An Airstream... come on. You will be the envy of everyone hanging their sleeping bags onto tree branches to dry...
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Ray, Thanks for the heads up. In two weeks I head out on my annual AS trip to WY and ID. I always hit WY first, the Wind River Range area. I will reverse my 5 week trip with this weather report and start off in N. ID and work my way to W. WY. I have experienced the mountain Mosquitos you speak of in WY. They can be as bad as those in N. MI. Hopefully some will have died off before I get there.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
We just got back from Yellowstone and Granite Springs and several other wonderful places in Wyoming. We went up to Red Lodge Montana and then cruised over to the Big Horn mountains and stayed at West Tensleep camping area. It was beautiful but you'd wake up with frost on the ground and there was still snow in the campground. We left went West Tensleep on 13 June. All rivers were running at full capacity but we only had problems with mosquitoes at Yellowstone at dusk. We stayed at Fishing Bridge. The trip up to Granite Springs was beautiful and we went very slow because of the potholes. I learned a valuable lesson up there. When we came down it had been raining quite a bit and we more or less came down in a controlled slide with our 25 ft FB Interstate. The road was extremely greasy and you couldn't slow down or speed up too much. If I did it again, I would wait until the road dried out a little bit before I came down. It's a fantastic place to go. If you ever come out of the big horns and end up in Buffalo Wyoming, stop at Tom's city diner on the main drag. It's a great place to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Perker is offline   Reply With Quote