Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Californio Communistos--glib, and uncalled for. But since you slurred....

In the People's Republic of California we do recognize that to have nice things you have to pay for them, hence a new recent voter approved bond issue for transportation funding. I'm currently up in Canada where many of the roads I travel are in great shape, something about taxes. Funny thing, no Canadian I talk to complains about their taxes. And they loves them their healthcare!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
... Funny thing, no Canadian I talk to complains about their taxes. And they loves them their healthcare!
You could talk to many Canadians and ex-Canadians, including me, about those grass-is-greener references, including regarding the taxes.

You could also read this story from just last week about how a Nova Scotian couple from my home town is selling their house to pay for surgery in the United States, because the wait time in Canada is 3.5 years to surgically correct the damage inflicted by a drunk driver. That's just one of an endless, endless stream of such stories.

But the mods don't appreciate those kinds of conversational diversions, and I don't blame them, because this isn't the place. Now we're even - one for one on a visitor's hopeful claim vs. a native-born, native-raised rebuttal, so I suggest we end it here.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
From Sherman Tx I75/69 to I44 Big Cabin Oklahoma.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #64
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Californio Communistos--glib, and uncalled for. But since you slurred....

In the People's Republic of California we do recognize that to have nice things you have to pay for them, hence a new recent voter approved bond issue for transportation funding. I'm currently up in Canada where many of the roads I travel are in great shape, something about taxes. Funny thing, no Canadian I talk to complains about their taxes. And they loves them their healthcare!

Canadians complain about having to pay 10 cents for a bag.
Quote:
Side note/factoid: Did you know that the same guy who developed Macadam paving also developed the Macadamia nut? Not kidding!

Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Helotes , Texas
I agree with TravelinMan. Hwy 285 is the worst, but it is not just in Texas. That bad stretch goes all the way to Artesia, NM.
It definitely has to do with the Oil field activity. The counties are making tons of $$ of the taxes, but repairing roads is last on the list. It sort of makes sense to wait until the heavy traffic lets up. Once the drilling and fracking is done, it is just the tankers hauling oil off.
Everyone needs to avoid this stretch of road. It is better to cut across from Junction, TX through San Angelo, Big Spring, Brownfield and then on to Roswell, NM.
glrtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #66
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We had a terrible, terrifying, experience driving on US 285 from Carlsbad Caverns NP, through Pecos, TX, to Fort Stockton, TX. It was raining hard. Every huge fracking truck that went by splattered our windshield with mud and water, completely blinding us for a few seconds. When we made it to Pecos, every intersection was under 2 feet of water, because they have no idea how to handle storm water in that area. From this we learned (1) Never drive US Route 285 again, and (2) Pecos, TX, is a place we never want to see again.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I just drove I70 from Indy to Dayton. Fully agree it was terrible. Pot holes 10" deep on a washboard concrete surface and patched with bumpy asphalt.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
What a thread! Two years ago I went up I-75 to Jackson Center. It was great until I got to Cincinnati. Then the truck and trailer went every direction on the potholes. The pitching was awful. The cat stayed sprawled on all fours the entire time meowing loudly. I could not help but laugh and hang on. We thought it was over until we got to Dayton then it started all over again. It sounds like IL, IN and OH are really bad along with MI.

Quote:
regarding Canadians and healthcare
We sure have an many who get care down here. I assume it is medical services denied or, perhaps the waiting list is too long. Dunno.

Rocinante said
Quote:
every intersection was under 2 feet of water
Thanks for the tip. I was in a flash flood once and that is one time too many.