Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I went through OK City on I44 in June. The roads through the city are concrete overpasses and bridges were rough but nothing in my AS got beat up. A lot of traffic and trucks. No potholes just the connecting sections were rough.

I-10 Atchafalaya Basin I towed to/from Disneyworld in Oct 2013 with my Tundra and I didn't think it was all that bad. I only drive 60 mph. Nothing in the AS was affected.

I hit some bad country roads in Nebraska coming south from South Dakotac but being the only one on the road we could avoid potholes easily. That was back in 2012 when we had our Casita.

Kelvin

Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I went through OK City on I44 in June. The roads through the city are concrete overpasses and bridges were rough but nothing in my AS got beat up. A lot of traffic and trucks. No potholes just the connecting sections were rough.

I-10 Atchafalaya Basin I towed to/from Disneyworld in Oct 2013 with my Tundra and I didn't think it was all that bad. I only drive 60 mph. Nothing in the AS was affected.

I hit some bad country roads in Nebraska coming south from South Dakota but being the only one on the road we could avoid potholes easily. That was back in 2012 when we had our Casita.
As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

I agree I-70 through indy to Dayton is bad, but the absolute WORST is US-285 from Pecos TX to Carlsbad NM.
Tried to get around El Paso, but WOW-WEE
Between the big ruts and potholes, narrow road and giant oilfield trucks, it was the ultimate white-knuckle driving test!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
I vote for ME-15 from Blue Hill Maine to US-1 Acadia Highway. Mostly gravel or broken asphalt. I broke off a AS folding shelf there. Worst stretch on a 1000 mile trip.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Oh So Many!

I have been over so many over the years! So I'm just going to concentrate on my recent trip out West and nominate I-40 westbound heading in to Oklahoma City. It looked as if each concrete section was about two or three inches higher than the last. You could actually see it! After we left Oklahoma City, the road was actually better on the West side. I would like to have someone "smarter" than me, explain the reason for concrete roads in the first place? In the end they all get paved over anyway, then all the broken joints come up through the asphalt. Thats why I love all of our asphalt Interstates here in VA!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I would like to have someone "smarter" than me, explain the reason for concrete roads in the first place? In the end they all get paved over anyway, then all the broken joints come up through the asphalt.
I don't claim to be smarter than anybody, but I used to be an engineer and actually designed roads and parking areas as one small part of my job.

Concrete can be reinforced with steel reinforcing bars and is a "rigid" paving surface.

Asphalt pavement cannot be reinforced with steel reinforcing bars, and is a "flexible" paving surface.

Macadam is similar to asphalt, but uses coal tar as a binder instead of petroleum-based asphalt, so it's less damaged by leaking petroleum products that act as a solvent for asphalt.

Anyway, when you build a road out of asphalt or macadam, you've got to have good soil conditions. The load-bearing course is actually the graded crushed stone aggregate underlayer (i.e. gravel to the layman), not the asphalt. The asphalt is just a binder course to keep the aggregate from going anywhere. The load of a vehicle is only spread out over the vehicle's "footprint," literally where the rubber meets the road.

When you build a road out of concrete, you can do it in poorer soil conditions because the concrete itself is load-bearing and spreads the load out over the entire slab, not just over the "footprint" of the vehicle. The aggregate underlayer is less to provide load-bearing and more to provide drainage.

All road surfaces wear over time, due to traffic and weather. In areas where you have cold winters and a definable frost line, the road surface will heave with the onset of winter as subsurface water freezes and expands. In the deep south, especially in coastal areas, you have a different problem, in that the road surface will subside as water is squeezed out from under the road and the soil consolidates and compacts.

Concrete road surfaces chip at the edges, and when water penetrates into the reinforcing steel, it rusts and expands (iron oxide is a larger molecule than iron), causing a condition known as "spalling" where the expanding rebar can literally pop the concrete off from over it. There are only two fixes, complete replacement of the concrete and the less expensive overlaying the concrete with asphalt.

Asphalt road surfaces can split in curves because asphalt cannot resist sideways forces, only vertical ones, and a vehicle's centrifugal force imparts a sideways force toward the road's edge. Asphalt pavement develops waves at the approaches to intersections for the same reason, because when a vehicle brakes to a stop or accelerates from a stop, it applies sideways forces in the direction of the road.

Fixing asphalt properly requires complete removal of the asphalt and regrading of the aggregate underlayer. However, just as in overlaying concrete with asphalt, highway departments have the twin constraints of budget and public dissatisfaction with long repair times, so they take the quick-fix option of removing most of the asphalt and putting down a new asphalt layer, without doing anything to the load-bearing gravel course under it.

In both cases, concrete and asphalt, the fix is temporary and less effective than a whole new road surface. A new road surface should last about 10 years before it needs to be repaired, but a repaired road surface can only be expected to last 5 years before it needs to be repaired again.

Everything else I know about pavement design is the actual number-crunching, that I learned in college and continuing education refreshers over the span of a few decades; I don't think you want to read about crunching numbers, so I'll leave it at that.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I vote for the I-495 loop around DC at rush hour.
The road surface is not that bad, but the traffic is ...... ? As an old country boy, I don't even know how to describe it. I towed through there last week. I will drive 100's of miles out of the way before I do that again.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Rivet Popping Routes

I 70 In Indianapolis. The route from Indy to Dayton has gotten better but the stretch through Indianapolis is still terrible. Drove this in July 2017

I 440 from I 30 to I 40 around Little Rock. Somebody buy the contractor a level before he does the next road. Dorve this October 2017

US 151 in Wisconsin, from Fond du Lac to Burke. Take some weight off the weight distribution bars and let a few pounds of air out of the tires, and slow down to under 50 MPH before you try this one. Drove this June 2017.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
I must concur about the Lake Ontario State Parkway. We mistakenly drove on it last year as well. However, there are signs that say "no trailers" for good reason. We saw the sign and though "they can't mean us!!" We live in Rochester and were driving home from a campground at the end of the parkway so we probably should have know but we don't usually travel that route.

We will not make that mistake again.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #38
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Protagonist, thanks for the science behind really bad stretches of road. I learned something.

Our vote would probably be for anything around the foot of Lake Michigan in Indiana and Illinois.

Second worst choice has become I-15 through the Wasatch Front in Utah. It was OK during our most recent trip, but the congestion begins south of Provo and ends up around Ogden-- often with construction.

But basically any place during rush hour. Any snow belt area during a white-out.

On a happier note, our favourite Interstate choice would be I-70 through the Colorado Rockies and the 105-mile canyon and desert stretch in Utah between Green River and Salina (the section with no services)-- both dependent on snow-free conditions. The Virgin River Gorge between St. George and Las Vegas is also pretty cool.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Ellicott City , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I vote for the I-495 loop around DC at rush hour.
The road surface is not that bad, but the traffic is ...... ? As an old country boy, I don't even know how to describe it. I towed through there last week. I will drive 100's of miles out of the way before I do that again.
I second DC Beltway I-495. Doesn't even matter what time (except maybe 3am) the traffic is always terrible.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #40
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Great post Pro. How do you “used to be an engineer”? In an effort to make large stock piles of sulphur disappear, Shell Oil experimented with mixing it with asphalt. Do you know if that ever amounted to anything? Jim
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I-70 around Indianapolis and east to the Ohio border. We traveled across in spring 2016.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The worst highway is the one you get stuck on with fresh chip seal!
That's a good one. Two chips on my windshield within 5 minutes in Petrified Forest National Park courtesy of a fresh chip sealed road in the oncoming lane plus a sheared off fresh water tank drain spigot on a newly chip sealed Cassiar Highway in British Columbia.