View Poll Results: Ladies do you pull it?
Yes 42 75.00%
No 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Women Drivers

I can read through the thousands of posts about the tow vehicle/unit length threads, or start this poll ... Jim and I are doing a long trip this fall (Denver to Louisianna and back through several States) about 3000 miles round trip. My question is simply how many of the ladies out there help their husbands with the driving? Is it 10%, 15%, 50%?

I am used to pulling a 20ft boat & trailer with our RAM 1500, but have never ever ever pulled a camper ... I'd like to help him out on those 8 hour driving days. Who's done it? And send some courage my way Wendy

Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I should have added another poll that said: Men, do you let them (teasing)

Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My wife drives a lot too. We arrive in better condition so long as I drive the last 75-100 miles. We often do really long trips and I couldn't do it without her and get somewhere in a reasonable time.

Can husbands vote here? Another poll could be "do wives back up the trailers?"

Gene
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I pull it! Driving is easy (as long as you're going forward). Our tow vehicle is more than capable, our rig is hitched right (and I know how to hitch it up, and we have a checklist we go over before rolling out), and the AS floats along behind us like it's not even there. Towing is no problem. We have never even had a scary incident of any sort while towing - it has been completely un-eventful.

I think my main problem with backing is I freeze up at the thought of bumping into something and damaging my trailer! I am happier being the spotter while my hubby does the backing. That way I can keep an eye on what he's doing!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We are new Airstreamers that have towed about 3000 miles in the past 3 months. I do most of the driving because I love to drive. Dorsey (my wife) is actually a better driver than I am (please don't let her read this! ) but she really has no interest in driving the truck. She did drive from Alumapalooza back to Pennwood Airstream park, she backed the trailer into its spot and she did just fine! I am confident that she could easily handle the entire rig without me if she needed to.....
Bruce
Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Boyce , Louisiana
Hi Wendy! I pull the Airstream myself. My husband has never been with me on a trip yet. I was nervous the first time but I've gained more confidence every time I've hit the road. So far my longest trip was from central Louisiana to Austin, Tx....about 8 hours. I prefer not to back the trailer BUT I can do it - just have to take it slow.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Awesome! I am gaining confidence with every post! I don't think I could back it up though, I wonder at my ability to assist Jim sometimes ...
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Really haven't done a lot of towing. But I do feel that if need be I could do it. About the longest I've towed is 3 miles and it was no problem, haha.
I can backup with my husband as spotter. I find it easier to bak up with him directing than me directing - I can never get him turning soon enough. Good luck with your travels, and look forward to hearing about your adventures. Susan
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I hitch it, I pull it, I back it. All as easy as pie. You just have to take your time, leave a nice space between you & the guy in front of you, and don't have an audience while learning to back up! My daughter also can do all of the above. She's 28 and well on her way to being an independent camper. Our husbands have jobs that don't allow them to travel much in the summer, so we go together in our own little caravan to the state park that's about 40 minutes away. I'm more seasoned than she & have pulled trailers since I was her age. YOU CAN DO IT! Airstreams are such a breeze to tow...you don't even feel trucks going by!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
As we say here in TEXAS.....JUST DO IT!!!

As I am an independent woman, I do it all....but have done it with other campers and horse trailers all my life.....just seems second nature to me.

A woman can do ANYTHING that she sets her mind to! All it takes is practice, practice, practice!

Read the quote below from JW ...it says it all!

Best wishes, happy hauling, and blessings to your new adventure...Hope we "run into" each other on the road...lol.....Callie

COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY........JOHN WAYNE
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Callie: I'll just pretend I am John Wayne - love your signature line, and that about defines where I am Cheers! Wendy
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When we travel together, I do all the driving, but my wife has pulled solo across the country several times, pulled horse trailers and boats. Take your time, you'll be a pro in no time.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Take your rig into a big, empty parking lot and practice turning and backing--no pressure, no one watching, nothing to run into. You can take a few empty coke cans, or cones, and practice turning around those "corners". Also set up your cans to be a parking spot at a campground and back it in.

Years ago, we were cleaning out an old house and going to the dump 2-3x/weekend. We used a short, single-axle trailer, about 15' long. OHHH it was always so embarrassing because I couldn't get that little trailer backed into the "pit" to unload. I could see those guys at the dump just rolling their eyes, "Oh, it's her again...." So my friend Don took me, truck and trailer out in the field and he stood beside my window and coached me. He was very patient, and encouranging, and he talked me through the backing process. Of course, practice, practice, practice. And don't be in a hurry. I can now back that short trailer anywhere you'd like.

As for the Airstream, same idea, practice when there is no pressure so you have a feel for how it handles. I find our Airstream much easier to back...

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I drive about 50% of our trips. We trade off drivers every 2 hours or so. I've driven through construction that would give you gray hair (hmmm maybe that's where it came from and not from the kids? ). My dad had 2 daughters and no sons, he taught me to drive a travel trailer when I was 16. Backing up is not my forte, but I can do it. Hubby says the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back, and I'll have to try it when we get ours on the road again. Don't be intimidated by it, just remember the trailer is there and you have to compensate for it. I, too, know how to hitch and unhitch. That was advice from my mom many years ago, because I may need it if he's sick or injured. I make sure I keep in practice!

Kay