Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Ladies do you pull it?
Yes 42 75.00%
No 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Women Drivers

I can read through the thousands of posts about the tow vehicle/unit length threads, or start this poll ... Jim and I are doing a long trip this fall (Denver to Louisianna and back through several States) about 3000 miles round trip. My question is simply how many of the ladies out there help their husbands with the driving? Is it 10%, 15%, 50%?

I am used to pulling a 20ft boat & trailer with our RAM 1500, but have never ever ever pulled a camper ... I'd like to help him out on those 8 hour driving days. Who's done it? And send some courage my way Wendy
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I should have added another poll that said: Men, do you let them (teasing)
Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My wife drives a lot too. We arrive in better condition so long as I drive the last 75-100 miles. We often do really long trips and I couldn't do it without her and get somewhere in a reasonable time.

Can husbands vote here? Another poll could be "do wives back up the trailers?"

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I pull it! Driving is easy (as long as you're going forward). Our tow vehicle is more than capable, our rig is hitched right (and I know how to hitch it up, and we have a checklist we go over before rolling out), and the AS floats along behind us like it's not even there. Towing is no problem. We have never even had a scary incident of any sort while towing - it has been completely un-eventful.

I think my main problem with backing is I freeze up at the thought of bumping into something and damaging my trailer! I am happier being the spotter while my hubby does the backing. That way I can keep an eye on what he's doing!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We are new Airstreamers that have towed about 3000 miles in the past 3 months. I do most of the driving because I love to drive. Dorsey (my wife) is actually a better driver than I am (please don't let her read this! ) but she really has no interest in driving the truck. She did drive from Alumapalooza back to Pennwood Airstream park, she backed the trailer into its spot and she did just fine! I am confident that she could easily handle the entire rig without me if she needed to.....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Boyce , Louisiana
Hi Wendy! I pull the Airstream myself. My husband has never been with me on a trip yet. I was nervous the first time but I've gained more confidence every time I've hit the road. So far my longest trip was from central Louisiana to Austin, Tx....about 8 hours. I prefer not to back the trailer BUT I can do it - just have to take it slow.
DixieDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Awesome! I am gaining confidence with every post! I don't think I could back it up though, I wonder at my ability to assist Jim sometimes ...
StreamRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Really haven't done a lot of towing. But I do feel that if need be I could do it. About the longest I've towed is 3 miles and it was no problem, haha.
I can backup with my husband as spotter. I find it easier to bak up with him directing than me directing - I can never get him turning soon enough. Good luck with your travels, and look forward to hearing about your adventures. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I hitch it, I pull it, I back it. All as easy as pie. You just have to take your time, leave a nice space between you & the guy in front of you, and don't have an audience while learning to back up! My daughter also can do all of the above. She's 28 and well on her way to being an independent camper. Our husbands have jobs that don't allow them to travel much in the summer, so we go together in our own little caravan to the state park that's about 40 minutes away. I'm more seasoned than she & have pulled trailers since I was her age. YOU CAN DO IT! Airstreams are such a breeze to tow...you don't even feel trucks going by!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
THE RANCH , Texas
As we say here in TEXAS.....JUST DO IT!!!

As I am an independent woman, I do it all....but have done it with other campers and horse trailers all my life.....just seems second nature to me.

A woman can do ANYTHING that she sets her mind to! All it takes is practice, practice, practice!

Read the quote below from JW ...it says it all!

Best wishes, happy hauling, and blessings to your new adventure...Hope we "run into" each other on the road...lol.....Callie

COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY........JOHN WAYNE
callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Callie: I'll just pretend I am John Wayne - love your signature line, and that about defines where I am Cheers! Wendy
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When we travel together, I do all the driving, but my wife has pulled solo across the country several times, pulled horse trailers and boats. Take your time, you'll be a pro in no time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Take your rig into a big, empty parking lot and practice turning and backing--no pressure, no one watching, nothing to run into. You can take a few empty coke cans, or cones, and practice turning around those "corners". Also set up your cans to be a parking spot at a campground and back it in.

Years ago, we were cleaning out an old house and going to the dump 2-3x/weekend. We used a short, single-axle trailer, about 15' long. OHHH it was always so embarrassing because I couldn't get that little trailer backed into the "pit" to unload. I could see those guys at the dump just rolling their eyes, "Oh, it's her again...." So my friend Don took me, truck and trailer out in the field and he stood beside my window and coached me. He was very patient, and encouranging, and he talked me through the backing process. Of course, practice, practice, practice. And don't be in a hurry. I can now back that short trailer anywhere you'd like.

As for the Airstream, same idea, practice when there is no pressure so you have a feel for how it handles. I find our Airstream much easier to back...

Good luck!
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I drive about 50% of our trips. We trade off drivers every 2 hours or so. I've driven through construction that would give you gray hair (hmmm maybe that's where it came from and not from the kids? ). My dad had 2 daughters and no sons, he taught me to drive a travel trailer when I was 16. Backing up is not my forte, but I can do it. Hubby says the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back, and I'll have to try it when we get ours on the road again. Don't be intimidated by it, just remember the trailer is there and you have to compensate for it. I, too, know how to hitch and unhitch. That was advice from my mom many years ago, because I may need it if he's sick or injured. I make sure I keep in practice!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Women Drivers

Actually my wife drives more than I do. I joke it's because she doesn't like my driving in or on mountain roads and I guess she doesn't like the way I drive on the freeway either so she drives there as well!

Actually she has much more experience towing boats, Hobie Cats, smaller travel trailers and big horse trailers filled with deer or elk captured when she worked for California Fish and Game as a biologist.

I have/had no experience towing anything so towing a 30 ft trailer is quite an experience. But I also drive slower on the freeway when she lets me drive.

She also does all the backing into spots because of her experience.

I also question why you need to drive eight hour stints? Isn't there something nice to stop and stay and look around instead of trying to drive so many miles in one day? You might as well fly across the country if you're not going to slow down and explore what's between point A and B.
tinearpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Solo Rivette!

When Peter and I first got our 1969 - all the towing experience we had was the sleds in the winter and the landscape trailer and our 20ft boat.

So I let him do the first trip - although only a 21 globetrotter it looked mammoth behind us. Then he got tired and said I had to drive as we had to get him back to work on time from Louisiana.

I took over in a rain storm then drove through snow - ha piece of cake as they say lol.

Seriously I was totally freaked out - but I was freaked out in the passenger seat as well. But I found once I got behind the wheel and felt the trucks go by and how she handled under the wheel - I then felt fine.

We always shared the driving - but when it came to backing up that was my job - I was better at is. Just like boating I liked going up on plane but could not dock the boat if I tried and he was perfect at it - good match and share and let each other take on the duties that we were good at - gender had nothing to do with it!!!!

Over the years I became the primary tower and ventured off by myself to rivette rallies and then started to head south to play golf and get out of the canadian winters. -

I put over 10,000 miles in one trip taking Peter out To Edmonton from Eastern Ontario for his surgeries two years ago. I think he put in 300 miles pour fella was not doing to well a few years back. I dropped him off at the airport to return to work and I turned the trip home into a solo girls long weekend that lasted 6 weeks to visit all sorts of friends across NA that I have made through various forums - so it was a good thing I learned to tow and got over any fears or stigma of the Man driving. When I returned I was heading back to school for the first time in 30 years since my first go round.

I find everyone out on the road to be so nice and polite and always willing to help. Sometimes too much help - I am kind of sticky in backing up and people helping - they usually get me all backwards with a little bit here and there and left and right and keep coming and slow down and move over and and and...so I just say thanks but no thanks if I need help I will ask.

Ha they usually take a look at my license plate and see that I have already come 1000's of miles to where I am - so I must know a little something about towing and putting her in her spots
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my wife is a great driver, but she never tows; That's my job, and whenever we go anywhere together, she prefers that I drive. We are happy this way and we have no need, or want, to change.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Women RVers or "glampers" are the largest growing segment in the RV world.

Most of them are 50+ in age who are divorced or widowed, and want to hit the open road after years of looking after a family, house, etc.

And they are doing it all! Towing, maintenance, etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My wife can and does tow, but for some reason when we are together I end up doing most of the driving and she naps.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
I drive about half the time. My husband and I split the driving...lets us have longer legs. I also take the trailer by myself sometimes with no problem. It's a little odd to me when we meet couples and the woman never drives. Why not drive? Why not learn how to back up? It's not like men were born with those skills...they had to learn too.