Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Ladies do you pull it?
Yes 42 75.00%
No 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
barbara4rb has the right idea. Go to that large empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. It won't take long to feel comfortable backing the AS or any other trailer.
Some basics:
1. Use your mirrors! You can see more. Don't try to twist around and see where you are going. It will confuse you if you try to do both mirrors and direct sight. (when you get really good and comfortable using the mirrors, you can do both.)
2. Take it slow!
3. Get a good starting position when backing. If you are going to turn the back of your trailer to the left to back in, start as far to the right of the road you are on as possible. This will allow you to make a larger arch in your turn and you will not have to cut the trailer as sharp to back it in. The same applies if you need to back your trailer to the right. One way to help line your trailer up for the backing manuver is to sweep the front of your tow vehicle into the parking spot as you pass it and then pull out and acrosss the main road. This will put the back end of your trailer in the spot you need to back into at a good angle for you to start the backing manuver.
4. Place your left hand at the six o'clock position on the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you need the rear of the trailer to go. (When you get really good, the direction to turn the wheel while looking in the mirror will come naturally and the placement of your hand on the steering wheel won't matter as much!)
5. Use a spotter when possible! Be sure they know the same hand signals as you and that they know where to stand so they can be seen in your mirrors.
6. Proceed slowly! Have fun practicing!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks for clarifying it. I'll get the percentage up now on behalf of Barb.

I am surprised how how many women tow because I never notice that many driving. Maybe I am getting blind. I also rarely see women doing the hookups, especially the sewer, but Barb does it all (except the sewer) and even takes the garbage out.

Gene

I know what you mean ... I now find myself deliberately peering into passing RV's to see who's at the wheel (mostly other brands) so I quick wave and smile if I get caught like I thought I knew them or I think their rig is really cool - and I'd say 1 out of 15 is maybe a lady driver.

We do get stuck in the boy/girl chores rut though whilst setting up and tearing down camp ... Jim's outside, I'm inside. I think from his standpoint though it's more chivalry; don't you worry about that dirty job; oh put that down it's heavy; or here I come to save the day! ... Wendy
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, no offense to anyone posting/stating about where to practice, but where I live there is no such place. "Find an open field" "Practice in a church parking lot" "Use a market or Wal-Mart parking lot" Well, we just can't do that around here; The parking lots are either too small or too full at all times. We would almost have to leave the state to find an area such as these. And half of the forum members, men or women, wouldn't be able to get their trailer in or out of my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5121.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	162953  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
As info, I just voted "yes" (I hadn't voted yet prior to that). I discussed this with my DH a couple of days ago and stated that I intend to start sharing the driving responsibilities. I've pulled forward before when the circumstances called for it like at the service station to get out of the way for others and at the dump station for the same reason, etc., but I haven't driven down the road. Next time out, I'll be behind the wheel too!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Psshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
And half of the forum members, men or women, wouldn't be able to get their trailer in or out of my driveway.
Plenty of room. I could do it. Of course, my trailer is about 6 inches skinnier than yours... And from the looks of it, that could be VERY important! ps: did I mention I just poured a bunch of new concrete because I was tired of replacing sprinkler heads every time I came home from a trip?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. AND thanks to those of you who gave nice descriptions of backing mechanics and how you+partner/spouse work as a team. I especially liked the "unwinding" description, as that is what Don was telling me. ("Straighten the wheel out once the trailer starts to move the way you want it to.")

Somewhere on the forums there is another thread about a gal (new owner/tower) who had made a sharp right turn and the trailer clipped a fence or mail box. She was completely spooked about driving after that. Many of the same suggestions were there too. Someone posted that it is so important to be comfortable driving the tow vehicle. It may not be the daily vehicle, but to drive it regularly. It isn't a good idea to only drive the tow vehicle when towing the trailer. Our F250 sits most of the time, but we make sure to drive it on one day every weekend. Good for all of us.
barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Not just women

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara4rb View Post
Somewhere on the forums there is another thread about a gal (new owner/tower) who had made a sharp right turn and the trailer clipped a fence or mail box. She was completely spooked about driving after that.
Yeah, that little mistake is certainly not limited to women. I can remember turning a sharp corner in a State Park and being pretty focused on the kids playing on the road in front and the general commotion of a full park. When I looked back into the side mirror the trailer was "INCHES" away from scraping a tree. A big tree. I was able to straighten up a bit and ease forward without hitting but that could have been a big mistake. A good reminder that I am not always as attentive as I need to be either. I am probably the only man out there that has made this error in judgement though. Right guys!?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, no offense to anyone posting/stating about where to practice, but where I live there is no such place. "Find an open field" "Practice in a church parking lot" "Use a market or Wal-Mart parking lot" Well, we just can't do that around here; The parking lots are either too small or too full at all times. We would almost have to leave the state to find an area such as these. And half of the forum members, men or women, wouldn't be able to get their trailer in or out of my driveway.

There ya go you have a perfect Place to Practice!!!

It will either be the house or your neighbours house that would get a rubbing with the bumper.

You could duck tape mattress pads to the corners for fun.

You could make an event out of it set up pylons out on the road and some lawnchairs and practice with an audience... Go around the block 10 times and park it as many times - and then you will be just fine when you get out of your state into the massive areas we all seem to freak out in

I remember my first Rally with the new rig - coming in really late at night. There were trees, playground and a trailer beside me - and I did it at night oh mentioned that already - It was PURE luck - I just wanted that road trip to be over and have a nice cold beer. So there was no fusion - Region 1 Rally several years ago - ha I was the talk of the morning for sure.... and Peter strutted around like a peacock saying yep that is why she does the driving.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Just like this.... (go to 2:00)
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote