View Poll Results: Ladies do you pull it?
Yes 42 75.00%
No 14 25.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Women Drivers

Actually my wife drives more than I do. I joke it's because she doesn't like my driving in or on mountain roads and I guess she doesn't like the way I drive on the freeway either so she drives there as well!

Actually she has much more experience towing boats, Hobie Cats, smaller travel trailers and big horse trailers filled with deer or elk captured when she worked for California Fish and Game as a biologist.

I have/had no experience towing anything so towing a 30 ft trailer is quite an experience. But I also drive slower on the freeway when she lets me drive.

She also does all the backing into spots because of her experience.

I also question why you need to drive eight hour stints? Isn't there something nice to stop and stay and look around instead of trying to drive so many miles in one day? You might as well fly across the country if you're not going to slow down and explore what's between point A and B.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Solo Rivette!

When Peter and I first got our 1969 - all the towing experience we had was the sleds in the winter and the landscape trailer and our 20ft boat.

So I let him do the first trip - although only a 21 globetrotter it looked mammoth behind us. Then he got tired and said I had to drive as we had to get him back to work on time from Louisiana.

I took over in a rain storm then drove through snow - ha piece of cake as they say lol.

Seriously I was totally freaked out - but I was freaked out in the passenger seat as well. But I found once I got behind the wheel and felt the trucks go by and how she handled under the wheel - I then felt fine.

We always shared the driving - but when it came to backing up that was my job - I was better at is. Just like boating I liked going up on plane but could not dock the boat if I tried and he was perfect at it - good match and share and let each other take on the duties that we were good at - gender had nothing to do with it!!!!

Over the years I became the primary tower and ventured off by myself to rivette rallies and then started to head south to play golf and get out of the canadian winters. -

I put over 10,000 miles in one trip taking Peter out To Edmonton from Eastern Ontario for his surgeries two years ago. I think he put in 300 miles pour fella was not doing to well a few years back. I dropped him off at the airport to return to work and I turned the trip home into a solo girls long weekend that lasted 6 weeks to visit all sorts of friends across NA that I have made through various forums - so it was a good thing I learned to tow and got over any fears or stigma of the Man driving. When I returned I was heading back to school for the first time in 30 years since my first go round.

I find everyone out on the road to be so nice and polite and always willing to help. Sometimes too much help - I am kind of sticky in backing up and people helping - they usually get me all backwards with a little bit here and there and left and right and keep coming and slow down and move over and and and...so I just say thanks but no thanks if I need help I will ask.

Ha they usually take a look at my license plate and see that I have already come 1000's of miles to where I am - so I must know a little something about towing and putting her in her spots

Old 07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my wife is a great driver, but she never tows; That's my job, and whenever we go anywhere together, she prefers that I drive. We are happy this way and we have no need, or want, to change.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Women RVers or "glampers" are the largest growing segment in the RV world.

Most of them are 50+ in age who are divorced or widowed, and want to hit the open road after years of looking after a family, house, etc.

And they are doing it all! Towing, maintenance, etc.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My wife can and does tow, but for some reason when we are together I end up doing most of the driving and she naps.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
I drive about half the time. My husband and I split the driving...lets us have longer legs. I also take the trailer by myself sometimes with no problem. It's a little odd to me when we meet couples and the woman never drives. Why not drive? Why not learn how to back up? It's not like men were born with those skills...they had to learn too.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Women RVers or "glampers" are the largest growing segment in the RV world.

Most of them are 50+ in age who are divorced or widowed, and want to hit the open road after years of looking after a family, house, etc.

And they are doing it all! Towing, maintenance, etc.
Ha ha I resemble this post although I did not have kids (not my choice) I did spend 30 years looking after a 6'.2" kid

Did the career thing, did the american (come Canadian) Dream thing - saved all the money, did what we were supposed to do. Married young, prepared for a family, got the house the dog and the family car and two great jobs. You know follow the society rules, the parents aspirations, all the education teachings - life was set - yeah right. Only to have it all taken away in a matter of a few years just when you are about to retire.

On top of that add anomalies and twists in your life journey you never expect, or wanted - but have no choice but to accept, stand back up brush yourself off - and hit the road in your airstream best medicine in the world!!!

Life is BIG but never too LARGE is my motto.

I hope you get out there streamrollin - if simply not for peace of mind as a back up driver in case of injury or under the weather...I guarantee you will have fun and after the initial learning curve and butterflies you will say to yourself why on earth was I ever worried about towing...
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I do all the towing, but I insist Marie knows how to hitch up and tow the trailer home in case something bad happens to me again. I don't expect her to back into our driveway, though. She is to tow the trailer to the shop and have one of the guys put it in storage until I am back up and around.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I hitch it, I pull it, I back it. All as easy as pie. You just have to take your time, leave a nice space between you & the guy in front of you, and don't have an audience while learning to back up! My daughter also can do all of the above. She's 28 and well on her way to being an independent camper. Our husbands have jobs that don't allow them to travel much in the summer, so we go together in our own little caravan to the state park that's about 40 minutes away. I'm more seasoned than she & have pulled trailers since I was her age. YOU CAN DO IT! Airstreams are such a breeze to tow...you don't even feel trucks going by!
Yes, I hitch it, I pull it, I back it and more. My husband is a workaholic so if I waited for "him to drive" we would never go anywhere. I love it when he joins me but I always drive, he navigates. He 's the best.

I feel so very lucky that he likes to work and I like to travel in the AS. It works for us. Ladies, if I can do it, anyone can!

kds
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
i am a solo mom to a 7 and 10 year old. i hitch , tow and back up on my own. i have had the opportunity to get some lessons in all of those skills. everyone has been pretty generous with advice and i always ask what your favorite towing tip is when i meet a new trailer person. my sometime boyfriend took me out on a country road with his boat and stick shift toyota. he gave me a lesson and then got out his i phone and played angry birds for 2 hours while i backed up and down that road with my tires on the yellow line. i was sweating but there were no more tears when faced with backing up after that .
Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
MGW is a super driver. She can tell when I am going to fast, to slow, to close to the curb, not in the right parking spot, (that one is closer!) should have started earlier, should have stopped back there, you missed the turn, that light was yellow, you need fuel, and the good advice just keeps commin'.
She does it all from the passenger seat.

But, I would never get there without her.

Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My wife does all the driving....I just work the pedals.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
My wife, for whatever reason likes to do the monotonous Interstate driving. I do all of the backing.

Dan
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My wife does some of the driving. Do I vote "Yes"?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote