Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My wife pulled the trailer one time, I made her do it so that in the event of an emergency it would not be the first time. She's a good driver, but needed the confidence boost of seeing that she could do it.

We camp with one couple where the wife does most of the towing, but my mother won't even drive the truck, never mind tow a trailer. It's all in your attitude and what you're comfortable with.

Too bad you're not closer, my neighbor teaches truck driving!

Try to find someone who will give some lessons. When my parents bought their 5th wheel, my father had a friend who drives truck teach him to back it up (5th wheels turn very differently than bumper pull trailers). Ask around, you probably know someone or can find a friend of a friend that can provide lessons.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help! Trailer folk are very friendly and usually happy to help. My parents have their trailer on a seasonal site, and my father always parks his neighbor's trailer for him because of a close by tree he is afraid of hitting.

AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My husband & I share the driving equally when traveling together.

I do all the towing when traveling alone which is several times each year.

In the 13 years we've been Airstreaming, my husband has yet to take the trailer out solo.

As others have stated, there is no difference between men & women when it comes to trailering - just confidence & experience. Take the trailer out with some cones to a vacant lot and practice backing & manuvering or sign up for a driving school class to build both confidence & experience...then hit the road!

The only difference is when towing alone, I usually make more rest stops and cover fewer miles, as any solo-traveler should.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
While I was still working for the local natural gas company, I trained many women to get their Commercial Drivers License. They had to pass the test driving a big dump truck towing a heavy equipment trailer. The women did just as well as the men. Everybody has to take the time to learn and get comfortable.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I do all the driving and towing. DH had cataract problems and had quit driving before we got the Airstream.

Towing is a slightly different set of skills, but any driver can learn.

Tell your wife to go for it.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
I can't remember the last time my husband drove when we were towing.

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Same here, always did the driving and loved the driving more than most of my friends and family. The question may not be so much male or female, as ability to judge things in three dimensions -distances, sizes, that kind of thing. A lot of the skills can be learned though, including those types of judgments. It may just take a little longer for some, male or female, than others. Depends on how much she cares about doing it and where she's starting from, spatial-relations-wise.

I say go for it. There's great pleasure in being that mobile.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
I can't remember the last time my husband drove when we were towing.
He does know how though. You know, in case of emergency.

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
A longer trailer is much easier to back up than a shorter one due to the longer wheel base length from the tongue. My wife practiced backing with our John Deere gator and short utility trailer. No power steering and both have short wheelbases. Get the hang of that and and the truck trailer combo is a breeze. Also, spouses shouldn't teach spouses! LOL
Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
At Custer State Park one year, we ran into a group called Women on the Fly. There were about 50 women who gather at locations around the west - all traveling solo or with another woman, all pulling trailers (many vintage). It was a great group of friends who had four rules to follow at their get togethers: no husbands or boyfriends, no kids, no pets, and you have to be nice
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
If nice could be a rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
At Custer State Park one year, we ran into a group called Women on the Fly. There were about 50 women who gather at locations around the west - all traveling solo or with another woman, all pulling trailers (many vintage). It was a great group of friends who had four rules to follow at their get togethers: no husbands or boyfriends, no kids, no pets, and you have to be nice
I love that. We're always hoping, aren't we? that if we could just make it a rule ...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

My wife takes her turn at driving our 25 Safari. It tows so well she is not nervous driving it. She wouldn't attempt our ex rig a humongous motor home.
She is very creative about figuring a way not to back our trailer but she would if she had to. She took a trip alone with a former travel trailer and asked for pull throughs or had somebody back in the rig.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #26
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
My wife and I split the driving 50/50. However sometimes she does more than that. I would rather ride and she would rather drive unless there is good scenery or she is tired. She always does the backing for one main reason. She thinks she's better. However, I think I give better directions. My opinion is that she gives lousy directions. So it all works out.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the Airstream owner's crowd reflects a lot of white/silver hair, we would all be wise to train the life partner how to drive the rig in case we were incapacitated, or worse. Knowing how to unhitch the trailer to drive only the tow vehicle might be a life saving ability in an emergency.

Back in my flying days, the AOPA flying organization offered a "pinch hitter" course so the partner could get the plane on the ground and walk away from the landing even if the plane would never fly again.

Thanks for the idea of a CDL school maybe offering a RV training class.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My dad taught me to tow a travel trailer when I was 16. (That was 41 years ago.) Hubby and I share driving equally now. The only thing I don't have much practice in is backing into a campsite. I have done it and know I can do it. He's just better at it and I'm better at hand signals than he is...
I firmly believe that both partners should be able to drive the rig if at all possible, barring medical issues. That way you don't get stuck if the other one is sick or etc.

Kay