Old 06-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Delta , British Columbia
woman drivers out there?

We have just purchased an Airstream to be picked up soon. I am a woman and will be doing most if not all of the driving/towing. I would like to hear from other woman drivers for encouragement or tips. We are getting a Hensley Hitch.

Thanks from Joyce

Joyce and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think you will find some good information here:

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Welcome. Unfortunately my wife cannot drive due to complications from a stroke. I miss her turn at the wheel but she is a big help from 'the back seat', ...really. Although towing is easy for me there is a certain amount of additional stress and having another driver to spell the driving would be welcome. Does this mean that you will do all the driving? Welcome to our group. I shall look forward to the stories and PICTURES (we love pictures) of your travels.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Somewhere buried in the following two threads is some advice on towing, backing, and encouragement for women who want to give towing a try:

Silver Sisters Online Rally
Rivettes Summer Solstice Rally

There are many women on the forums who are towing it alone, or working on polishing their towing skills (me included ) who will be happy to offer tips and encouragement. I think Tin Sista tows with a Hensley hitch, and Wheel Interested, thecatsandI, FoiledAgain, and GT1963 are all very experienced with towing. And, of course, lots of guys on the forum who are helpful and encouraging and will help you out with any questions you might have.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Thumbs up Joyce, you CAN do this and it's FUN!

Welcome Joyce!

We somewhat impulsively purchased a 25FB Safari (love the FB floorplan, hope to get it in a 34' someday for fulltiming!) and a Chevy HD diesel truck a couple of months ago - I had dreamed of this for years, but we bought when we just went out to actually look at some in person. I was the one who drove the combo off the dealer's lot, because I was afraid that if I did not tow right away I would never do it (good decision on my part, when DH drove later I was freaked when I turned around and watched!).

It is SO much fun, and much easier that I expected. The only real difference I notice is that the truck makes a bit more noise in tow/haul mode (and remembering the size of this combo when changing lanes, etc). The AS just follows us wherever we go!

Not only have I gone to a NEU rally by myself - and learned LOTS there, especially how to hook up and back up by myself (!), but I am usually the one who takes the rig to and from the campgrounds, with DH joining us from work. We have had several trips like this and it works great!

Oh, as of our trip last week I can now easily get the awning up and down myself, actually my biggest challenge so far

My son and I leave tomorrow for upstate NY for a couple of days to see some friends, then next week we are heading to a rendevous. On both trips I will be doing all the driving, setting up and breaking down, as well as backing the rig up our long, curved, uphill driveway while managing to not hit the trees, lamp posts or rock walls when we return home! Fun! And I do this without a spotter . And though I find it disgusting, I also do the dumping since I really like having onboard facilities.

Oh! In an effort to economize with the diesel, this former lifelong leadfoot now drives right around 55 miles per hour, which I find surprisingly relaxing and much more peaceful!

Joyce, I am telling you this not to brag, but to encourage you that if I can do it anyone can! I have depth perception problems and have never before driven a big truck or towed anything. You can definitely do this and enjoy it!

Keep reading, including the links already mentioned, consider finding a local WBCCI group to join, and get out and camp! It's terrific

What I find interesting is how surprised many fellow campers seem to be that I am doing this on my own. Whether male or female, none of us is born instinctively knowing how to do this, it is just something new to be learned. In this particular activity, I do not see that our sex really matters. However, I have noticed that when talking to couples I have also assumed that the man did the towing

I also encounted this when I shopped for, test drove and purchased our truck without DH in tow (with lots of help from forum members again!), as well as when I pull up somewhere or diesel up. We don't live in horse country, but there are lots of boaters and trucks on the road, and seeing a woman behind the wheel of a 3/4 ton truck is unusual.

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up I tow it too!

The first time was a little scary, but the more you do it the easier it gets. Towing isn't so bad...and when it comes to parking & backing, just take it slow. Don't be worried about "people watching"...undoubtedly, they will be impressed when you step out after you're all done.

For the practice backing, go to an empty parking lot with a couple of orange cones...try different maneuvers and get a feel for it before you hit the road.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote