Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
WNY To Talahassee Best Route, Please

We will be heading down to FL the first sign of clear weather after Christmas Day -- What would be your route and any good tips or stops
Thanks a Bunch
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I would come over to Cleveland OH via I-90 or I-86 west, then down I-75 south, then I-10 west. The miles are more, but it is actually quicker. The speed limit past OH is at least 70mph. Plus most of the route is level or small hills. Going straight down I-81 south is full of big hills and small mountains and many areas where the speed limit is 55mph. I learned this because I used to live in Syracuse and have moved to Cleveland, TN. I have traveled both ways in our MH and as a truck driver.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hmmmmmm... Let's see, snow in the hills, or potholes on the flat. Take 75, and air down a pound or two. Has worked for me about 20 times. It's always a tad risky and even after paying big time attention to the weather forecasts, we did hit snow in the hills inTennessee but just once. Jim
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
If you are heading to Tallahassee, I-75 would put you way east. The main Tallahassee exit is at US 27 (N. Monroe Street) which is Exit #199 on I-10. I-75 is Exit #296 on I-10.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I was not thorough enough and only thinking of getting away from the north. Happens when you spend too much time in freezing conditions. We usually leave 75 at Tifton and meander down through Thomasville. It's really pretty and not very busy. Perfect. If the timing is right, we scoot around Tallahassee and stop in St Marks for lunch. 2 more hours to the beach on St George Island. Sorry. I digress. Dreaming. Jim
Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congrats on finding the best part of Florida. Most visitors bypass the Forgotten Coast and head for the crowded peninsular.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It is nice up there Moosetags.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Actually we are heading down to South Georgia first, staying a few weeks on Lake Seminole then on to Tally for the rest of Jan.. We need to be in Big Pine Key on Feb 1st...
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPineJandK View Post
Actually we are heading down to South Georgia first, staying a few weeks on Lake Seminole then on to Tally for the rest of Jan.. We need to be in Big Pine Key on Feb 1st...
I was at Lake Seminole for a week earlier this year, at Eastbank CoE campground. Very nice place, and the price was right, too. Only downside was they had an Argentine Ant infestation at the time, that mandated ringing all points of ground contact with Comet cleanser to keep them out of the Airstream (I put some around the feet of the picnic table, too). Now that I know more, I'd use Borax instead, but at the time the camp hosts recommended the Comet, and it did work.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Using & trusting Google maps the difference in the 2 routes mentioned above is insignificant. Literally 2 minutes difference so I guess it comes down to your choice. From my area ( NJ ) I would choose 81. Have used it many times and enjoy the ride. Not too many places to stay along the way in winter though we usually manage OK and will do so again. We'll be heading south the first week in Feb. so maybe we'll run into you down there. OH, don't forget to bring some sun & warmth with you. Last Feb we ran into some cold days down there.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Congrats on finding the best part of Florida. Most visitors bypass the Forgotten Coast and head for the crowded peninsular. Brian
We are constantly drawn to the area by the treasures we find. One in particular in Apalachicola named Richard Bickel who has a small Gallery on the main drag that displays his work. He is a superb and sensitive photographer and writer. I hope he tackles the local architectural history one day.
Jim
last great bay series - Richard Bickel Photography, Photojournalist ...
http://www.richardbickelphotography....m?...Last%20Gr...
Limited edition Giclee prints from film are available. These images are exquisitely printed, hand-signed by the artist and archival.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I would come over to Cleveland OH via I-90 or I-86 west, then down I-75 south, then I-10 west. The miles are more, but it is actually quicker. The speed limit past OH is at least 70mph. Plus most of the route is level or small hills. Going straight down I-81 south is full of big hills and small mountains and many areas where the speed limit is 55mph. I learned this because I used to live in Syracuse and have moved to Cleveland, TN. I have traveled both ways in our MH and as a truck driver.
So your saying go through Cleveland and pick up 75 in Toledo ? Triple A wants to send me down 71 through Columbus and Cincinnati !!! What are your thoughts on that route? Any tips on winter trailering would also be greatly appreciated !!
This will be our first Long haul (over 500 miles) We are heading to Donaldsonville on lake Seminole then on to friends in Tally and finally spending Feb, March & April on Big Pine Key...Thanks so Much for sharing you over the road experience. JV & Kay
Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Using & trusting Google maps the difference in the 2 routes mentioned above is insignificant. Literally 2 minutes difference so I guess it comes down to your choice. From my area ( NJ ) I would choose 81. Have used it many times and enjoy the ride. Not too many places to stay along the way in winter though we usually manage OK and will do so again. We'll be heading south the first week in Feb. so maybe we'll run into you down there. OH, don't forget to bring some sun & warmth with you. Last Feb we ran into some cold days down there.
Roger we were in the Keys in March last year and had the heat on - had to by socks & sweatshirts ... Came home to soon in April and said never again lol... this time we will stay in the Keys till May then stay in Tennessee till June then home
I have done the 81 Rt before (not pulling a trailer) really don't care for some of those winding mountain roads ;( Where will you be in Feb? We need to be on Big Pine Key Feb 1st
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I was at Lake Seminole for a week earlier this year, at Eastbank CoE campground. Very nice place, and the price was right, too. Only downside was they had an Argentine Ant infestation at the time, that mandated ringing all points of ground contact with Comet cleanser to keep them out of the Airstream (I put some around the feet of the picnic table, too). Now that I know more, I'd use Borax instead, but at the time the camp hosts recommended the Comet, and it did work.
East Bank is (or was) exactly where we were headed (first stop) but we have friends almost exactly across the lake, so we may skip East Bank and spend the campsite money at Big Jims Oyster Shack on Spring Creek ( Best Ribeye & oysters on the Planet) and only 5 miles from our friends place. Would love to get over Louisiana way - any suggestions??
Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati. Avoid the hills in order to avoid snow. Although there is a nasty hill on the south side of Cincinnati but it's just coming out of the river valley. No need to go over to Toledo. That's where the worst pavement is, although it's pretty nasty around all of the big cities going south on this route. If you get a brake on the weather, Buffalo, Pittsburg, Charlotte, Columbia, to 95 and then onto I 10 is much smoother and then you avoid all the nasty stuff on the east coast. Bottom line, it's all a crap shoot (shot?) Jim
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
East Bank is (or was) exactly where we were headed (first stop) but we have friends almost exactly across the lake, so we may skip East Bank and spend the campsite money at Big Jims Oyster Shack on Spring Creek ( Best Ribeye & oysters on the Planet) and only 5 miles from our friends place. Would love to get over Louisiana way - any suggestions??
Can't really offer suggestions until I have some idea what you're looking for; there are just so many possibilities!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We hit the Florida rally last year in Sarasota then spent a glorious week in Arcadia. Things went north on us from there. Couple of cold windy days at Cedar Key. Things began to improve from there a little. Ended up at New Orleans and pretty nice there. Headed homeward at the end of Mar. May do the rally thing this year. Not sure yet. Meeting up with friends first week of March in Arcadia then wander a bit. Need to be home by mid March though. Still a work in progress. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime. Have a good trip

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
So your saying go through Cleveland and pick up 75 in Toledo ? Triple A wants to send me down 71 through Columbus and Cincinnati !!! What are your thoughts on that route?
Yes, take I-71. I forgot about that "detour". Also take the I-271 bypass around Cleveland, OH.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Big Pine. Two years ago we spent 4 days at Key West in Feb and it was beautiful. I guess you just never know. We were on the Navy base. Probably won't make it that far this year though. Maybe Everglades NP might be in the cards though. We'll see

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18