Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
WNY To Talahassee Best Route, Please

We will be heading down to FL the first sign of clear weather after Christmas Day -- What would be your route and any good tips or stops
Thanks a Bunch
__________________

__________________
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
3 Dog Nite's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 787
I would come over to Cleveland OH via I-90 or I-86 west, then down I-75 south, then I-10 west. The miles are more, but it is actually quicker. The speed limit past OH is at least 70mph. Plus most of the route is level or small hills. Going straight down I-81 south is full of big hills and small mountains and many areas where the speed limit is 55mph. I learned this because I used to live in Syracuse and have moved to Cleveland, TN. I have traveled both ways in our MH and as a truck driver.
__________________

__________________
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Prairie Schooner II
 
Jim Flower's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,182
Hmmmmmm... Let's see, snow in the hills, or potholes on the flat. Take 75, and air down a pound or two. Has worked for me about 20 times. It's always a tad risky and even after paying big time attention to the weather forecasts, we did hit snow in the hills inTennessee but just once. Jim
__________________
Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
If you are heading to Tallahassee, I-75 would put you way east. The main Tallahassee exit is at US 27 (N. Monroe Street) which is Exit #199 on I-10. I-75 is Exit #296 on I-10.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Prairie Schooner II
 
Jim Flower's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,182
I was not thorough enough and only thinking of getting away from the north. Happens when you spend too much time in freezing conditions. We usually leave 75 at Tifton and meander down through Thomasville. It's really pretty and not very busy. Perfect. If the timing is right, we scoot around Tallahassee and stop in St Marks for lunch. 2 more hours to the beach on St George Island. Sorry. I digress. Dreaming. Jim
__________________
Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Congrats on finding the best part of Florida. Most visitors bypass the Forgotten Coast and head for the crowded peninsular.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,430
Images: 8
It is nice up there Moosetags.
__________________
WBCCI 8653/AIR 60240
2017 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast Gen 2 3.55 Platinum
rodsterinfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Actually we are heading down to South Georgia first, staying a few weeks on Lake Seminole then on to Tally for the rest of Jan.. We need to be in Big Pine Key on Feb 1st...
__________________
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPineJandK View Post
Actually we are heading down to South Georgia first, staying a few weeks on Lake Seminole then on to Tally for the rest of Jan.. We need to be in Big Pine Key on Feb 1st...
I was at Lake Seminole for a week earlier this year, at Eastbank CoE campground. Very nice place, and the price was right, too. Only downside was they had an Argentine Ant infestation at the time, that mandated ringing all points of ground contact with Comet cleanser to keep them out of the Airstream (I put some around the feet of the picnic table, too). Now that I know more, I'd use Borax instead, but at the time the camp hosts recommended the Comet, and it did work.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
Using & trusting Google maps the difference in the 2 routes mentioned above is insignificant. Literally 2 minutes difference so I guess it comes down to your choice. From my area ( NJ ) I would choose 81. Have used it many times and enjoy the ride. Not too many places to stay along the way in winter though we usually manage OK and will do so again. We'll be heading south the first week in Feb. so maybe we'll run into you down there. OH, don't forget to bring some sun & warmth with you. Last Feb we ran into some cold days down there.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Prairie Schooner II
 
Jim Flower's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Congrats on finding the best part of Florida. Most visitors bypass the Forgotten Coast and head for the crowded peninsular. Brian
We are constantly drawn to the area by the treasures we find. One in particular in Apalachicola named Richard Bickel who has a small Gallery on the main drag that displays his work. He is a superb and sensitive photographer and writer. I hope he tackles the local architectural history one day.
Jim
last great bay series - Richard Bickel Photography, Photojournalist ...
http://www.richardbickelphotography....m?...Last%20Gr...
Limited edition Giclee prints from film are available. These images are exquisitely printed, hand-signed by the artist and archival.
__________________
Jim
Jim Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I would come over to Cleveland OH via I-90 or I-86 west, then down I-75 south, then I-10 west. The miles are more, but it is actually quicker. The speed limit past OH is at least 70mph. Plus most of the route is level or small hills. Going straight down I-81 south is full of big hills and small mountains and many areas where the speed limit is 55mph. I learned this because I used to live in Syracuse and have moved to Cleveland, TN. I have traveled both ways in our MH and as a truck driver.
So your saying go through Cleveland and pick up 75 in Toledo ? Triple A wants to send me down 71 through Columbus and Cincinnati !!! What are your thoughts on that route? Any tips on winter trailering would also be greatly appreciated !!
This will be our first Long haul (over 500 miles) We are heading to Donaldsonville on lake Seminole then on to friends in Tally and finally spending Feb, March & April on Big Pine Key...Thanks so Much for sharing you over the road experience. JV & Kay
__________________
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Using & trusting Google maps the difference in the 2 routes mentioned above is insignificant. Literally 2 minutes difference so I guess it comes down to your choice. From my area ( NJ ) I would choose 81. Have used it many times and enjoy the ride. Not too many places to stay along the way in winter though we usually manage OK and will do so again. We'll be heading south the first week in Feb. so maybe we'll run into you down there. OH, don't forget to bring some sun & warmth with you. Last Feb we ran into some cold days down there.
Roger we were in the Keys in March last year and had the heat on - had to by socks & sweatshirts ... Came home to soon in April and said never again lol... this time we will stay in the Keys till May then stay in Tennessee till June then home
I have done the 81 Rt before (not pulling a trailer) really don't care for some of those winding mountain roads ;( Where will you be in Feb? We need to be on Big Pine Key Feb 1st
__________________
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
The Silver Slipper
 
2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I was at Lake Seminole for a week earlier this year, at Eastbank CoE campground. Very nice place, and the price was right, too. Only downside was they had an Argentine Ant infestation at the time, that mandated ringing all points of ground contact with Comet cleanser to keep them out of the Airstream (I put some around the feet of the picnic table, too). Now that I know more, I'd use Borax instead, but at the time the camp hosts recommended the Comet, and it did work.
East Bank is (or was) exactly where we were headed (first stop) but we have friends almost exactly across the lake, so we may skip East Bank and spend the campsite money at Big Jims Oyster Shack on Spring Creek ( Best Ribeye & oysters on the Planet) and only 5 miles from our friends place. Would love to get over Louisiana way - any suggestions??
__________________

__________________
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A scenic route from Jackson Center to Florida not I75 please. chaimemet On The Road... 7 07-13-2011 09:09 PM
Best Route to Washington, DC from northern RI? AirHog On The Road... 7 05-03-2005 09:32 AM
Best Route Boston to Tucson? DEO On The Road... 28 04-24-2005 04:38 AM
Best Route to Ft. Wilderness from I75? Pick On The Road... 3 09-21-2004 03:08 PM
Best route to Texas wingfoot321 On The Road... 9 12-31-2003 10:14 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.