Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
http://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Wireless Printer

Just wondering if anyone here has used an HP Officejet 100 Mobile Printer and how they rate. I'm looking for something compact and wireless for printing and scanning...low volume personal use...but reliable. Any options or alternatives welcome. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
If I may suggest a printer for you, this year I did a good bit of research on color and monochrome printers for myself. My conclusion may not match your need (more a desk model for home and Airstream) but I covered, cost, operation cost- per page, ink/toner, etc., features and came up with the lowest cost per page two sided printing capable wireless printer, smallest I could find - a Brother HL-5470DW laser. It is not considered a mobile printer (tiny) but it is laser and is self contained and fast and compact. I plan to use it on the road. We've had several printers in my school district and I can recommend brother as a brand overall. As I said, this may not fit your need but if it does, you will not find a better choice for cost and quality. Inkjets are cheaper to buy but the cartridges will quickly catch up and surpass a laser's cost. I have the data if you want it!
The dimensions are W14.6" x D15.1" x H10.1" This is small but not micro. The HP 100mobile is W14" x D6.9 x H3.4" but will most likely suffer in print quality and speed, is battery operated, same cost as Brother and the black cartridges are $50 a pop and color $44 for around 500 pages. Plus, unless you use inkjets regularly (no storage) the ink will clog the heads. So, with size, if you can stand something just over twice as tall (8 more inches) and three inches deeper, you might consider it. The nice thing is that the paper is in a concealed
tray and it is AirPrint™, Google Cloud Print™, Brother™ iPrint&Scan, Cortado Workplace and Wi-Fi Direct™ compatible. All for about $0.9 cents a copy per 3000 sheets less paper.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I have the HP photosmart 5520. I've had 2 of these. I like the fact I can print from my smart phone using the HP app. Scanning is good and you can also copy with this printer. I think this printer is o.k. for an inexpensive printer.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I just bought a HP 3510 with wifi for less than $50. Walmart is selling a wifi Cannon for $49 and will throw in a 2 G thumb drive. Third party ink refills are available for both Cannon and HP which can bring down the per sheet cost.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
http://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Thanks for your input...I'll take a look at some of these over the weekend!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Just a heads up... the Laser is monochrome printing ONLY.

My company uses HP and I use Canon. I have been left stranded by Brother on more than one occasion when they discontinued a product and all support for it. YMMV. For light use a small all in one may be the way to go. I have a Canon i70 that I bought from a thrift store for $25 ($350 printer) new in the box. It replaced my Canon BJC-80 that I purchased in 1999. The BJC still works, just can't find print heads for it anymore. Not surprising given it's age, the drivers came on 3.5" floppies.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the major name brands like Canon, Brother or HP. The one I absolutely won't buy is Lexmark.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I wonder if we could use one of those "printers" to make out of manufacture parts?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Smallest simplest Wireless HP is Deskjet 3510, which will work as Apple Airprinter.. Older ones won't.. Plain old $29.95 Deskjet 1000 will work and is more compact if you have USB connection.. HP cartridges are pricey, especially 3 color version, and newer ones won't allow refillers to reset chips

Cheapest Canon PIXMA is $49.95 model 2702 with USB interface, and wireless versions (PIXMA 7220 at $99) are larger and more expensive...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I wonder if we could use one of those "printers" to make out of manufacture parts?
It is coming...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Just a heads up... the Laser is monochrome printing ONLY.
Yes it is. I rarely print color so for me it does not matter. That is why I stated it was monochrome. What I did not share is my findings on the color laser - Brother HL-3170CDW 18x16x9 Mono print 2.3 cents per copy/color 11.1 cents per copy. I know I sound like a Brother brand advocate but actually my job is tech and I deal with this stuff all day long- about 80 printers and 500 computers in my school. I fully agree with you Wahoonc on the Lexmark issue. Be careful too as many Dell printers are Lexmark in disguise. We currently are using Dell and they are awful. We have seven models on campus and they are definitely problem prone. Some are Lexmark and others are Samsung parent company models. I still recommend Brother though as they have always been good to our school (when we had their product- we cycle every few years) and they have low cost operation.

The ink jets are hard to beat if color is important to you on a regular basis BUT you pay a lot for the cartridges and you cannot store the printer in your trailer or have periods of non use for very long. They are very finicky and the heads will clog. There is really no fix but a new printer in that case. The three big Jet brands are Canon, HP and Epson. Epson is really good as you can replace various colors as needed. Some Canons too. HP is not so nice on their cartridges that way. Personally though, I choose to print color whenever that is at Kinkos. That is why, when I did all the product digging, looked for the color and monochrome laser and decided on the monochrome one. Consider your need.