Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
I have ATT 3G and Sprint

In my travels, I found to have dual coverage the best as where one doesn't have coverage, the other one most likely will.

I use a Palm 750 with PC connect plan from AT&T and use it as a tethered modem AND to access the Internet from the phone. That way, if I want to check the weather or e-mail, I can do it from my phone OR my PC...

I also use sprint EVDO thru a reseller:

Wireless Internet

The reason I LOVE them is that no contract, no tax, $49.99 per month and $35 activation for the equipment. You don't buy the equipment, they give you a Franklin USB modem that has the drivers for both PC and MAC right on modem. You can use it from both Mac and PC back and forth no problem. It uses EVDO rev A and blazing speeds, and Sprint does not have a bandwith limit like Verizon and AT&T have. Check the fine print on this....

I end up using the Sprint / Meillenicom one more than AT&T, but have used AT&T on occasion where no coverage for sprint....

Kevin

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi View Post
Based on what I've seen here, Im leaning to the Verizon USB Um150 card and getting a booster antenna if I need it (probably will).\
Bob
I use the Verizon USB 720 air card along with a Wilson amp w/external antenna. As Artstream said, their coverage is expanding so well I seldom need the amp anymore. I've been to Georgia to upstate New York, and many points in between, within the past ten months and the EVDO Rev. A broadband coverage has been very impressive. I'm paying $53 per month (total) for unlimited. I prefer the USB card over the PCMCIA card because it allows you to place the antenna near a window, which is important when you're shielded by aluminum. You may want to try it for a while before investing in an amplifier. Sometimes all I need to do is use an external antenna to increase the signal strength. Which ever card you get, make sure it has a connection for an external antenna. I understand that some don't.

On another note, the only place I was shut out was in Almonte, Ontario while at the Region 2 rally a couple of weeks ago. IF a signal was even available, it would have cost about 70 cents per minute for international roaming charges. Fortunately, I was parked about 40 feet from someone who had satellite internet and who was kind enough to share it with all interested via WiFi. With several users sharing the bandwidth, it was a bit slow but more than adequate for e-mails. If I recall, the system they were using required a hardware investment of approx. $1,200, and $70 per month for the service.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
We've gone to VERIZON from AT&T and are using the USB720 device with connections for both USB ports for the strongest signal. So far we've been pleased and have used it from the passenger seat of the TV while motoring down the highway. We'll give it a good test when we take the Grands on an Alaska cruise next month.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Are there any Canadians out there who can chime in with what air card they use? I'd like to know if there are any options that don't involve interntational roaming charges while traveling in the U.S.

THanks
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Brea , California
I used the verizon card with good success for around three or four years. It started out at around $60/ mon. went down to around $50 with unlimited access. I don't have it now but I think that a limit has been set on new plan holders but I don't have affirmation of that. If so it is large. I was transferring about 5 MB at a time and for me it was not bad.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
Gator1

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Very happy with Verizon

I've been using Verizon for about a year and a half now. Anywhere there is even the smallest signal I can get connectivity. Pricing varies but can be reduced if you have other phones with Verizon and/or take advantage of some of their discouts (military, govt, teacher, etc) dig through the web page, you might qualify.

I'm typing this now from by desk deep inside a cinder block and steel building - 4 bars and super fast.

Jim
WBCCI #5228
2006 25' Safari FB
Gator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
What connector to tether a palm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
In my travels, I found to have dual coverage the best as where one doesn't have coverage, the other one most likely will.

I use a Palm 750 with PC connect plan from AT&T and use it as a tethered modem AND to access the Internet from the phone. That way, if I want to check the weather or e-mail, I can do it from my phone OR my PC...

I know in the "old days" of cell service you could tether your ;palm for a modem, but I use sprint and my palm and according to them, you can no longer do this,
How do you do it? Where did you buy the connector?
I wish I could just use my palm instead of buying another device or two.
Thanks

I also use sprint EVDO thru a reseller:

Not sure How evdo is different than wireless? Their page just has a form requesting my info, no info on what they offer

Wireless Internet

The reason I LOVE them is that no contract, no tax, $49.99 per month and $35 activation for the equipment. You don't buy the equipment, they give you a Franklin USB modem that has the drivers for both PC and MAC right on modem. You can use it from both Mac and PC back and forth no problem. It uses EVDO rev A and blazing speeds, and Sprint does not have a bandwith limit like Verizon and AT&T have. Check the fine print on this....

I end up using the Sprint / Meillenicom one more than AT&T, but have used AT&T on occasion where no coverage for sprint....

Kevin
why does this forum say my message is too short, I have to add three words? So extra words here, Oh, I get it, I quoted them and answered in their quote, thus forum thought I did not type.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna1111 View Post
...Not sure How evdo is different than wireless?...
the basic explanations are here...

Evolution-Data Optimized

What is EVDO?

and here along with great resources on the gear and coverage and plans...

What is EVDO : EVDOinfo.com

they also have a good q&a forums...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We use the Verizon broadband card with our MacBook Pro at home and on the road, as we live in the boonies where the only other options are dial-up or satellite. Ben also has one for his work PC. We've been very pleased with the Verizon card, including the coverage area and reliability. It's also extremely handy on the road while we're in the truck, as we can research campgrounds and other things while we're on the move.

I would highly recommend staying away from the USB-connected cards and using your ExpressCard slot instead. The USB cards are far more prone to falling out or being bumped out than the steady Express cards.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Eureka , California
By Jove, I've got it!

After reading these posts, I found June Fabrics PDA Technology Group
It is a link to software that is called Pdanet.
Within minutes, I have internet connection in my AS, running from the palm sync usb cable to my laptop.
It is costing me an extra 15 dollars a month for Sprint Vision, unlimited internet. Now, cross my fingers that it works on extended networks, going to Yreka to park her on the 23rd. I do get cell phone service there, not sure whos incharge of the network.
I love this forum!
Will read about EVDO soon, have to caulk for a few hours.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
As a follow-up…

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Sprint Wireless USB Card (Sierra Wireless Compass 597). Once it was set up in the Sprint store to work with my MacBook Pro, I took it out on a trip to Colorado. We spent a week traveling between Denver, Glenwood Springs, Salida, Winter Park and Steamboat. In each location, and in most places in between, I was able to connect easily and at decent speeds.

I just received my first billing statement, and they've got me down for "Unlimited MB" monthly for $59.99/month. Now, I know they may change my unlimited to 5GB at some point, but I knew that going in.

So, again, to recap… Sprint service seems strong, even in mountainous areas. I think I'll keep it.

--SM
Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
do you know what your MB usage actually was?

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote