Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
With taxes and the various other fees that get tacked on your cost for Verizon will likely be closer to 70 bucks a month. Last fall I tried Verizon on a 1 month trial basis. During the 28 days I used the service I had exactly 2 days when I had really good service. Spent 6 days right next door to Charleston, SC and didn't have 2 hours of decent service the entire time I was there. If it won't work next to a city this large just where will it work worth a hoot?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
With taxes and the various other fees that get tacked on your cost for Verizon will likely be closer to 70 bucks a month. Last fall I tried Verizon on a 1 month trial basis. During the 28 days I used the service I had exactly 2 days when I had really good service. Spent 6 days right next door to Charleston, SC and didn't have 2 hours of decent service the entire time I was there. If it won't work next to a city this large just where will it work worth a hoot?
I would agree on the $70 price. I was quoted $55.60 for unlimited service. As we know from dealing with this industry...that price is only the beginning point for calculating all of their other add on charges. And this is a two year contract.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Enter your location

verizon wireless plans
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I have a Sierra Aircard 875 with AT&T service (in a 3G area) and I'm less than satisfied. I signed for two years at around $63/month and so far I've had to buy an external antenna just so that I don't get disconnected quite so often (and I can literally see the cell tower from my lot). The service was great during the initial trial period (when you can cancel without a penalty) and then it went to hell shortly after signing on the dotted line. Lots of other folks have reported that this same thing happened to them.

Come on in sucker ... we see ya comin'
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi View Post
I did a search and most of the information I came up with seemed outdated...
hi bob

really not much has changed in the last few months...

pricing a little, coverage a little but that's about it.

if anything has changed it's the number of folks opting for dish/satellite coverage has slowed,

since cellular broadband just keeps getting better.

start with POST 27 in this thread and read, it's all very current from that point on...

including the links to evdo resources, the cards, amplifiers and plans...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...tml#post506564

most of the full timers, high mileage travelers and heavy web users i know are happy with the V card...

and the wilson products for enhanced coverage and reception....

the primary change is usb slot cards are now replacing many of pcmcia and express 34 cards...

my v' contract expired long ago, and i like being month2month now, so i've stayed with the express 34 card...

and they keep on upgrading the software it uses and data speeds.

so IF something better came along i can drop them without any hassle...

still where you plan to go matters and each provider has some weak areas on the map...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use Alltel's Axxces with QuickLink Mobile software. We have used it all over the lower 48, and it has worked very well. The only problem that we have run into was in northwestern Maine where the cell equipment is not up to date enough the transceive data packets.

We use one of our cell phones wired to our notebook computer to make the connection. This service costs $25 per month for unlimited use. You must have an Alltel cell phone to use this service.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up A satisfied Verizon customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevi View Post
I get the feeling from the responses so far that the Verizon users seem to be satisfied. For those of you using Verizon (and maybe it doesn't matter which service vendor) are you using the USB port or a PCMCIA Card? Verizon is recommending the USB UM150 with the 3G (faster downloads).
Blevi,

I have Verizon wireless internet and am currently paying about $60 a month. I am using a Verizon USB720 USB interface with either my laptop or desktop at home.

I am frankly amazed by the extent of Verizon's EV-DO Rev A broadband coverage. As I write this I am about 12 miles outside of Ely, MN, on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and have 3 bars of broadband coverage on the built-in antenna, indoors.

I also had broadband coverage in Bisbee, AZ, out back of beyond in the other direction.

(By comparison, at home in Ohio I have to use a Wilson Trucker antenna on the roof to get the same signal strength!)

Bottom line is that I am very happy with my Verizon wireless Internet. 'Tain't cheap, but you get what you are paying for.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

start with POST 27 in this thread and read, it's all very current from that point on...

including the links to evdo resources, the cards, amplifiers and plans...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...tml#post506564

2air'
Thanks 2air...this indeed is a good thread...don't know why I didn't see it when I searched. Based on what I've seen here, Im leaning to the Verizon USB Um150 card and getting a booster antenna if I need it (probably will). Still keeping an open mind as I won't order it for a few days yet. I want to be on the road during the 30 day trial period.
Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Verizon Wireless reportedly in talks to buy Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We use Alltel's Axxces with QuickLink Mobile software. We have used it all over the lower 48, and it has worked very well. The only problem that we have run into was in northwestern Maine where the cell equipment is not up to date enough the transceive data packets.

We use one of our cell phones wired to our notebook computer to make the connection. This service costs $25 per month for unlimited use. You must have an Alltel cell phone to use this service.

Brian
Adding to the mix is this news story that Verizon Wireless is reportedly in talks to buy Altell CNBC: Verizon Wireless in talks to buy Alltel: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Just no simple "one size fits all" solution to the wireless/Internet access quandry while away from home.

nancy mac
Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Excella
Farmington , New Mexico
I use sprint for my connection. $99.00 mo and not limit on service. You can leave it connected 24 hrs day if that is what you want. I has worked everywhere I've ever been. It does have a 2 yr contract.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Get Verizon, with a Booster...that's what we did. I work online... so I needed a good "system". PM if you want to know also how we now have a 24/7 hotspot in our rig...

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
http://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1 View Post
If Verizon is working for Michelle then it can't be that bad. I'm not sure there is anyone on this site that has done as much traveling as her.
I think artstream has me beat.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think most plans are about $60/mo with a 2-year contract...mine is...from Alltel...and I chose Alltel only because that's my cell phone carrier...you usually get a bit of a break if you use the same service. You are most likely not going to find service without a contract involved. I am on a Mac and use the UTStarcom UM150 USB card. (I think there may be a newer version of this card out by now.) I've been pretty happy with it, though there are times the signal is not great, depending on how far out in the boonies you get or if you are in a bad reception area like in a canyon or behind a mountain. Happiest when I can get an EVDO connection. I have not used a booster antenna with it (yet), and that would probably help at those times.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Seattle , Washington
Bob,
I have been on Sprint for many years. A couple of years ago I upgraded to a Blackberry, keeping with the Sprint service. Total per month for the Fair & Flexible plus the Blackberry package is 90.00.

I can tether the phone to my laptops (dell, sony) as use as a modem. The software can be downloaded, free, from either Sprint or Blackberry to a laptop.

Where we camp here in WA state, I usually have the only working cell phone, thus, over the years most of our camping group has switched over to sprint.

At our camping spot, I have Internet Service using the blackberry tether/usb, and am able to check emails, read the newspapers, even download tunes to the IPOD.

This is not a commercial for Sprint, believe me, their Customer Service stinks, just my expirience.
Brgds: