Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
I do have one more question for you - What is the highest speed setting on your D50 in manual mode?
I want to say the max ISO is something like 1600, which I am certian would be grainy as a can be. You will want to try and stay in the 400 ISO and under range I suspect.

Here is a great review of the D50 Nikon D50 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I would also give the D40 a look. I dont know much about it except it is cheaper and somewhat less capable Nikon D40 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
rodney,

now is the time especially in wisconsin!

saw a bald eagle in hollendale wisconsin on my way home. fully 100 miles from open water, just sitting on top of a power pole.

one of those wish i had my camera moments.

john

Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
<0

Hi John: (and everyone else!) I just saw your post, sound like a nice vacation away from the great white north.

Eagles are easy for us, especially in the winter, though there are some year around in the Mazo area. Some real good spots just North of the DNR Dog Trial grounds. It's a whole 26+ miles away.

Eagle watching days just ended a short time ago on the Wisconsin river junction of Hwy 78 (Mazomanie-Sauk City area) Now that we have some sub zero stuff coming I will be curious to see if anyone RV'd it up here!

I don't mind Grouse/Deer Camp, but that is it for me. Call me a wimp but when the night temperature is consistantly in the low twenties it is time to drain the old camel and bed it down for the winter.

The view from the machine shed where the AS lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0553.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	31598  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Its coming up on eagle time again!

Well folks, for those of you looking for a great trip Dec-Feb, I have to recommend bird watching near Alton Illinois. I miss being three hours away and the long day trips from last year are no goes for sure. However, if I can get out of Lawton early enough at the end of the semester I might be able to do a few days the week of Dec 17th. If winter camping isn't your thing there are plenty of hotels and the state park has all sorts of tours. Fair warning, the weekends are loony with tourist. I think the best days are Tues-Thurs (I think the birds are still freaked out on Mondays). I think I gave more information on the area in the first couple post of the thread.

and the
My Blog

Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Unexpected eagle viewing is always a thrill. We saw one high in a tree along Highway 63 here in the middle of Missouri this week. We are several miles from the Missouri River here, so it may be in the region because of the river, and we know there are various other eagle sites in the state, but we don't usually see one casually perched in a tree along the road in the neighborhood! Its white head gleamed in the fall sunlight. Again, another time without a camera ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Here's a Kool One

I got this in the mail today, Lucky shot if it hasn't been "shopped"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smiling Geese.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	49066  

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Eagle Watching

DeGray Lake State Resort (Mountain lake resort: Degray Lake State Park, Arkansas) in southwest Arkansas has eagle-watching tours by boat starting in November. In addition to the lodge, they have 113 sites with water and 30-amp service. 37 of these are waterfront sites.

The lodge also has a nice Thanksgiving Day buffet.

My complements on the photographs too.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #36
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
For those of you who are looking for a winter trip and enjoy wildlife, I recommend a trip to the wetlands on the Mississippi river just north of St. Louis (Wood River, Grafton area). The wetlands managed by the army corp of engineers cover a huge area and is home to many species either over the winter or year round. Yesterday, I saw bald eagles, trumpeter swans, geese, pelicans, several species of ducks, red tailed hawks, and a harrier. Late Jan through Feb is high season for eagles. Many people like the lodge at the St Park, and the campground there remains open. Additionally there are plenty of places to get good catfish if that is your thing. I have attached a couple pictures for flavor. More will go up on my website (see below) over the next week.
I have tentative plans to visit the Two Rivers Refuge again Dec 16-18 and will likely be camping at Pere Marquette State Park if anyone is interested in getting out there and photographing/ viewing the birds.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You may not know that we have eagles in Oklahoma. Keystone and Arcadia lakes have eagle viewing. I have actually seen several wintering there in the past. I have a female Redtail Hawk who spends the winter hanging around my bird feeders waiting for the buffet to arrive, every year. My very small Pom won't go out when the hawk is out there.