Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Rodney,
Great pictures..Stunning actually. They look like National Geographic quality. I like to photograph as well. Been looking for a digital, do you like your D50? I have a N70 so I think I can use the same lenses.
Cheers,
Baron

Old 12-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkamp
Been looking for a digital, do you like your D50? I have a N70 so I think I can use the same lenses.
Cheers,
Baron
I have a D70, which is now the D80, and really, really like it. However, if the budget permits, you must look at the D200 almost as good as the D2H but 1/3 the price. It's all good.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
The images on this trip were made in digital using a Nikon D50 with a 300mm zoom. For many of the images a 2X teleconverter was also used.
Let's see 300mm with a digital multiplication factor of 1.5 and a 2X teleconverter equals a whopping 900mm 35-mm camera equivalent!!! Amazing to have the resolution you've achieved with birds on the wing. Which 300mm Nikon lense do you have? One of those super fast 2.0 or 2.8?

My longest lense is a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR which is too short for birds with just 300mm equivalent. I was thinking about getting the 1.7X teleconverter mostly because I have read that the image quality is superior to the 2X but perhaps a little inferior to the 1.4X. The 1.7X would give me the equivalent of 510mm, which still may not be enough, but it would be a heck of a lot less expensive than the $4,500+ for the 300mm f2.8 VR. I'll just dream about that beauty.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
the two geese in post #3 are in fact Trumpeter swans.
I guess it was a good idea to quit hunting.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkamp
Rodney,
Great pictures..Stunning actually. They look like National Geographic quality. I like to photograph as well. Been looking for a digital, do you like your D50? I have a N70 so I think I can use the same lenses.
Cheers,
Baron
I have had the D50 for about a year now and I love it and can recomend it without reservation. Having said that, I agree with myoung that you ought to consider other models in the Nikon line up as well. They each have their strong points. I doubt you will go to far wrong with any of the current line up.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Let's see 300mm with a digital multiplication factor of 1.5 and a 2X teleconverter equals a whopping 900mm 35-mm camera equivalent!!! Amazing to have the resolution you've achieved with birds on the wing. Which 300mm Nikon lense do you have? One of those super fast 2.0 or 2.8?

My longest lense is a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR which is too short for birds with just 300mm equivalent. I was thinking about getting the 1.7X teleconverter mostly because I have read that the image quality is superior to the 2X but perhaps a little inferior to the 1.4X. The 1.7X would give me the equivalent of 510mm, which still may not be enough, but it would be a heck of a lot less expensive than the $4,500+ for the 300mm f2.8 VR. I'll just dream about that beauty.
I was using a borrowed sigma I forget the fstop range (my brain isnt operational yet today). The big problem with the converters is the loss of light ( I lost 2 stops) and because it was overcast that day I wasnt able to use it all the time. There was sufficent light for exposure but not enough for the auto focus to work well. I think the Sigma I used is in the ball park of being a $1500 lens. It isnt the optimal solution maybe but it is a decent poor mans work around. Even as much as I love photography, going into that shoot I would have sworn I wouldnt consider spending that kind of money for a lens, now I dont know. A lens like that changes your options when it comes to wildlife. I just might maybe......

and the
My Blog

Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
It was a Sigma 120-300mm f 2.8 hsm dg. I was searching for them online and it looks like $1,800 used is the best deal out there right now. I dont see one of them in my camera bag anytime soon .

and the
My Blog

Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
It was a Sigma 120-300mm f 2.8 hsm dg. I was searching for them online and it looks like $1,800 used is the best deal out there right now. I dont see one of them in my camera bag anytime soon .
Thanks for the info. The price seems about right if the quality is there too. I just searched a couple of web sites for reviews of this lense. They vary quite a bit. It sure would be nice to have both speed (f2.8 or better) and length (300mm) so that teleconverters won't make the light-gathering ability too much worse. Birds on the wing argues for some motion damping ability too, but that pushes the price into the stratosphere.

I think I'll look for a good, used fixed-length lense with Nikon optics, especially if I move up from my 6 megapixel D70 to the 10 megapixel D200, which I expect will be my next upgrade.

By the way, have you seen this web site that has extensive reviews of Nikon lenses -- http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom.html. I find it very helpful when evaluating options both new and used.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 01-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
A second trip there

I went over to the river again yesterday thought I would toss out a couple more images as a reminder of the oportunity.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the fish got it_web.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	31082   Click image for larger version

Name:	perched_web.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	31083  

and the
My Blog

Old 01-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
ok, a third trip...

If you are anywhere within a reasonable distance you really owe it to yourself. Avoid weekends if you can....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nesters.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	31532   Click image for larger version

Name:	on thin ice- web.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	31533  

Name:	Headshot web.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	31534  

and the
My Blog

Old 01-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #25
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your gift with us!

Wow Rodney,
Those eagles are so beautiful, such a great symbol for our country, so sacred to the first people and important for the rest of us too!! Thanks for sharing those photos. We will surely plan a trip there!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Rodney ....Beautiful pictures!

I've been wanting to ask you a question about the Nikon F50 you are using since your first posting. I have a Nikon FG and am looking to upgrade to a digital. Myoung helped me answer some of my questions to you but also brought up another from me...The F50 comes with a standard lens, can you tell me would I will have to upgrade that lens to take sports action shots or will it do alright? I see myoung is talking about the super fast 2.0 lens... I'm just looking for a digital that will handle speeds of 1500 range. Right now I am using my sons cheepo Kodak Easyshare Z760 and I am able to get some pretty good shots off...mainly through panning....here is one of my favorites from this season. Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Matt1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	31539  
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
I've been wanting to ask you a question about the Nikon F50 you are using since your first posting. I have a Nikon FG and am looking to upgrade to a digital. Myoung helped me answer some of my questions to you but also brought up another from me...The F50 comes with a standard lens, can you tell me would I will have to upgrade that lens to take sports action shots or will it do alright? I see myoung is talking about the super fast 2.0 lens... I'm just looking for a digital that will handle speeds of 1500 range.
Thanks for the complement! The D50 is a outstanding camera at the lower end of the "prosumer" range of camera. Having said that, I believe it is the case that Nikon is phasing it out and replacing it (D40 replaces, but it looses some features which you may want). The kit lens (18-55mm), although inexpensive should not be dismissed, it is a superb lens with wonderful sharpness. I originally bought my D50 without it, and recently chose to buy one for it if that tells you anything.

As to the question about how it would do on sports action shots, I cant give you a good anwser. The first issue would be how close to the action you are. The 18-55 is considered a 'normal' lens and may or may not have sufficent reach. If you do decide to get a longer zoom Nikon has recently re-worked their 70-300mm. From what I can tell, it is a great deal sharper than the older model which I have. The older version, like mine (which I would pass on) is about $200 last time I looked; the newer version (which I would like to own) is $550-600 if you can find one. Currently, this lens is in high demand.

Neither of the lenses are fast (f4.5-5.6 depending on zoom level) but this is only an issue in low light. So the second issue (after distance) is available light. If you have plenty of light, any of the three lenses will operate fine. You can also boost your range a couple stops by increasing the ISO, but this may get you some gain you dont want. If you do go with a longer focal length, you should know that the biult in flash wont do you any good and will just drain your battery.

Finally, the D50 on full speed shoots 2.5 frames per second. You need to decide if this is adequate for your needs or not. I'm not sure if this addresses your questions or not, but I think these points cover most of the fundamental issues. Let me know if you have more questions.

and the
My Blog

Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Rodney, Thank you for your thorough overview of the Nikon D50. Your reply was exactly what I was wanting to hear. I am looking to get a reasonably priced camera that doesn't necessarily need to have all the bells and whistles. Most of my pics are taken at close range and outside using natural light so I don't think there will be an issue of sufficient light to get a shot off.

I do have one more question for you - What is the highest speed setting on your D50 in manual mode?

Thanks again, you've been more than helpful...it really helps being able to speak with someone that is using the product unike the fella who knew nothing about the D50 at Circuit City!

NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote