Old 11-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
In the winter of 2006 I moved our 34' Excella from Brackettville, TX where it was stored to Reading, PA where I set it up on a lot. I drove an F350 dually and stopped in roadside parking areas and slept when tired. I would shut down the truck and crawl into the AS and roll up in down comforter and sleep. While in route I stopped at Walmart for brief walks and the use of the toilet and grab sandwich fixings, candy, and drinks. I did not overnight anywhere. My average speed per day was about 45 mph. Lots of us guys travel cross country this way in our cars/trucks. I felt privileged to be able to crawl back into an a/s to sleep! Yes it rained and sleeted but that just slowed me down. Make it a truck driving trip and not a camping trip while moving the a/s. Enjoy the privilege. And do it yourself if the family is worried about your son. I wouldn't worry about the salt. Good luck - you are never alone when you pray for His protection. jd

delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Ted...a close eye on forecast is best defense. And plenty of common sense goes a long way in beating bad stuff. I saved myself a lot if stress when driving 18 wheeler watching weather ahead. Sometimes leave a few hours time hold up a while and rest. You can't control the weather but you can manage your safety and schedule. Hopefully you'll have a little leeway departure and arrival times so enyoy the road trip and your Christmas vacation.

wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #31
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ted, if your in-laws want you down there that badly, they should help find you a place to stay. I dunno: the couch in the den, a spare bedroom at the neighbours....

Hauling a trailer all that way in potentially hazardous conditions just to have a spare bedroom doesn't seem like a great idea. If it's just you and your son in a vehicle for the trip down & back, that seems a bit more reasonable. Because it's not just about your ability to handle a trailer during a snow or ice storm-- it's the crazies on the road who don't know how to drive in the stuff.

I assume you're winterized now, as you could freeze your water lines while driving, even if you're toasty at an RV park.

We're rail fans as well as AS fans, and wonder whether Amtrak might get you where you're going, if they're not already booked.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Best I can tell you I traveled with my 30' Classic down to 10 degrees with no trouble, had to leave furnace on. The big thing is you will have to wait out big storms.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have been in my 30' Classic down to 25 degrees.
It sure was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
re salt, there are truck washes all along I-95 at many of the major truck stops; most are fine with RVs. I usually use them when coming home from the beached of the NC outer banks during the winter months. google search for Blue Beacon; they're everywhere.

winterizing is easy if you're doing it yourself. get it down to a science as part of your campground close-out before you get on the road; and only use facilities for the trip back north. since I have a tonneau on my pickup now, the air compressor is permanently in the bed next to my generator and my big green egg. only word of advice is if you jump from campground to campground, winterize between each as well - you dont want lines freezing whilst driving six hours down the road.

re weather - the same as always in the winter; watch the forecasts and if there's a hint of a pending issue, cut your visit short or extend it a day or two if needed.

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28'
2016 Ford F250 Crew 4x4 KR Diesel
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master
What kind of sandwiches will you bring?

Sorry…just kidding.

But seriously, I use a porta potti, baby wipes, and a few jugs of water, for winter weekend trips. I keep the trailer winterized. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket for grey water.

My point is, you could unwinterize and re winterize at the in laws. Just seems a bit easier to deal with that in a warmer climate and NOT on the road. And you could spend a little more time doing it right.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by larryglarson View Post
Best I can tell you I traveled with my 30' Classic down to 10 degrees with no trouble, had to leave furnace on. The big thing is you will have to wait out big storms.
Larry, are you saying you traveled with the furnace on? That would be helpful if I could do that.

I imagine plenty of people will chime in with warnings (don't bother), but I travel with my gas fridge going.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I've towed Daisy from Idaho to Pittsburgh, then Florida, then to Alaska this year alone... so I shouldn't be one to discourage your plans. But listen to dem that advise against it for such a brief period. its really not worth the stress...just fly. You won't regret it. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Yes, I know there are states that "worry" about propane, but as you say most RV's have gas fridges running. Plus there are getting to be a lot of trucks running on natural gas. Plus gas burns pretty well.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Truth of the matter is that the world doesn't come to a stop in winter.

Planes come and go. Commercial traffic continues. Is it somewhat more hazardous? For sure. But with good tires, a well setup rig and careful planning it should be far from a sure road to disaster.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ted, we will be traveling south just after Christmas and spending several months, not days as you plan. We use the Blue Beacon truck washes and have them hand wash with micro fiber, which I carry just in case they don't have any on hand.

I don't drive it in ice and snow. I pull off and wait it out, understanding you have no or little wait time have you considered trying to rent an RV down there near your in-laws.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
We transit from Canada and back again in the early spring with the furnace operating. We set it low while traveling during the day and then about an hour before we plan on stopping for the night we increase the heat a bit so it's toasty warm when we want to bed down for the night.

Just watch your weather reports and watch for systems that might be coming across your path. If you run into weather, just pull over and wait it out.....

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
This winter is supposed to be a wuss compared to last year's fanny freezer. Take it easy and you'll be okay. Avoid getting on the road at the crack of stupid and let the world warm up a bit before you leave in the morning. Traffic will dry the road unless it is actively snowing/raining. Allow some leeway time wise to sit out any nasties. Wash the rig at a truck stop when you get home and all should be well.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote