Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Let's circle back to advice on the problem presented. Obviously this is not a pleasure trip, but more of a family emergency situation.

Of course, the travel will need to pay attention to road conditions and be flexible.

I know here in the Midwest that the US Interstates get the best and first attention when it comes to clearing snow and ice, and to pre-treatment. If your usual route is secondary roads, then you may need to reconsider that if a bad storm comes into play.

Winterization on the road should not be that significant of an issues. Assuming that you are prepared to dry camp if necessary en route.
Dump waste tanks, drain all water, open low point drains (then close when done draining), unplug and drain water heater, bypass water heater, add 2 gallons pink antifreeze to the fresh water holding tank (we got an automotive funnel at Walmart that works great for this-takes about a minute), and then open all faucets until they run pink. Pour any extra pink stuff into the toilet.

I assume that your planned places to stay on the way to and from will have open bathrooms available for you to use so if your AS is winterized you can utilize their facilities. If not, then I would consider bringing a lot of extra water in 1 gallon jugs, and possibly getting a temporary camping 5 gallon potty. Not sure if you have a generator, but if so might be good to have it for emergency use as well.

If I were in your situation, I would want a way to clean off my trailer and double check all winterization once I was back home. I am not sure how/where you store your unit. If it is outside and uncovered like mine, can you find a temporary use of a heated workspace to clean up once you return home? Maybe someone with a business that has indoor warehouse or vehicle storage who would allow you to use their space for a day to hand wash and empty out your Airstream? If you won't have access to water hookup at the cleaning place, you have options. A 2 gallon garden sprayer can squirt pressurized water to the undercarriage. Griots waterless car wash can clean off the surface, available on Amazon.

If you won't have the ability to do this, then you need to decide if you are OK with putting the unwashed trailer away until spring.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Long story, but I have been told to bring the family down to FL this winter for Christmas
Sounds like you have family in Florida? So drive it down, weather permitting, and leave it there, or in storage. Go down again and enjoy it. Go down again in Spring and bring it back.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Good Idea Mojo

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

I won't pretend to know your family dynamics.

I will say that, I've seen family members treat family members with less consideration than they would give non family members. Playing the guilt card…treating a family member like a punching bag, or what have you. It seems like a poor start to the holiday season.

Whatever you decide…..be safe. Try to make the best of it. Heck….you get to spend a long ride with your son….BONUS!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I will say that, I've seen family members treat family members with less consideration than they would give non family members. Playing the guilt card…treating a family member like a punching bag, or what have you. It seems like a poor start to the holiday season.

Whatever you decide…..be safe. Try to make the best of it. Heck….you get to spend a long ride with your son….BONUS!!!!!!
Thank you, basically what is happening. I just want the holiday season over at this point. Hopefully I can get my wife and girls fly to my in-laws in FL, that would take them out of the picture. Then it would be just me and my son on the trek. We need the trailer down there because there is no place for us to stay and all of the hotels are booked.

If it's just me and the boy, then it becomes and adventure...we are good on the road together and would make a good time of it.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Ted, go to a blue beacon car wash and tell them to wash on low pressure or back up five feet. If i could get the time off i would not hesitate doing this trip. I use all griots garage wash products as well and all work great.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Salt on the Airstream, and salt on the clear coat is a recipe for disaster. Please do your research. Travel safe.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
The OP didn't directly say this was a family emergency. But when I have a "family emergency" (as the oldest child and now a grandfather of 8 I've had quite a few across the country) I always take the most reliable mode of transportation given the overall situation and potential conditions. As others have noted from various perspectives, winter driving in the northeast and mid-Atlantic can be uncertain even without a trailer. I grew up in Buffalo and lived in DC and Atlanta. All three can experience severe sudden treacherous winter weather complicated by power outages, heavy traffic, and closed roads. If this presently is an "emergency" then three weeks from now it will downgrade to "urgent". Either way, multiple impartial and informed people have offered sound input for consideration. The forum seems to be accomplishing its purpose!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thank you, basically what is happening. I just want the holiday season over at this point. Hopefully I can get my wife and girls fly to my in-laws in FL, that would take them out of the picture. Then it would be just me and my son on the trek. We need the trailer down there because there is no place for us to stay and all of the hotels are booked.

If it's just me and the boy, then it becomes and adventure...we are good on the road together and would make a good time of it.
That sounds like a really good plan, and a good attitude to have when having to do something you would rather not.

You know, there is rather a Dear Abby/open response element to these Forums....ask for advice, you will get it in spades, and it will be all range of possibilities.

You will also get lots of support when you need it.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for you, we here will just have opinions.

Family drama is always difficult, and it especially sucks over the holidays. We all want that loving family, Norman Rockwell image....gathered round the table, meal prepared, glasses raised in a loving toast.....very few of us have that, is the reality of life.

Good luck to you, and may next year be without this stressor.

Maggie
Old 11-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Sounds like a good plan

Quote:

Want to pass on a lesson that I keep learning. Often, the situations that I am dreading, turn out much better than I expected. Hope that's the case here.

In closing…..Hope you and yours have a Merry Merry Airstream.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
For safety I try to stay below 300 miles in a day. Also that gives me slack when the interstate turns into a parking lot.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I've driven up to 750 miles in a day on multiple occasions, including driving through ice storms, thunderstorms, and in one case a Cat 1 hurricane. I always arrived so tired and sore I could barely stand even when the weather was fine. The last time I ever did that was when my dad died and I had to get to the family home in time for his funeral. Flying wasn't an option because given their location relative to any major airport, I would have had at least a three-hour drive even after flying, and given how early you had to arrive for a flight in those days flying would have taken just as long and I'd have been just as tired.

Now that my only remaining family is a brother I don't really get along with, my driving range even on a long day is less than 500 miles. There is simply nowhere I have to be where it's worth wearing myself down to get there a day sooner, especially since the saved day would be spent recovering from the grueling drive anyway.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No vehicle, much less towing a trailer, is designed for- or safe- driving on ice.
Keep an eye out on the weather forecast.
If snow and ice is predicted, stay home.
Heat pumps are no good much below 40 degrees. Fill your propane tanks and use the propane furnace.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Ted S. I like the idea of having the Airstream in in-law land - a great escape capsule!

Also agree with what Maggie said about those imploding Norman Rockwell holiday images because it is true.

One of my favourite places is the Sunshine Valley RV Resort on Thanksgiving weekend. The air is ripe with the smell or roasting turkey - sans the hypocrisy and tension. The big family in the fifth-wheeler beside me - had a great chat with the wife as she was tending the turkey. She was tired of the fights - if so-and-so hosts the dinner, I'm not going....yadda, yadda, yadda, so she told the husband to hook-up the RV, grabbed the turkey, the kids, the portable convection oven, and headed out. She said it was there best Thanksgiving ever, and planned on making it a yearly ritual.

Sorry for hijacking the thread....again.

Ted...hope you survive the holidays...in more ways than one.