Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #1

2004 25' Safari
Wyckoff , New Jersey
Winter Towing - NJ to Florida

I am looking for advice regarding winter towing to Florida. I plan to travel to Key West from NJ on or about December 27. It's my first year with the Airstream and I'm concerned about traveling if we happen to have a lot of snow at that time.
I am considering taking the trailer to North Carolina in October since my daughter lives outside of Raleigh. The idea is that we could pick up the trailer there when we go to Florida and have less chance of having to tow in bad weather.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding this trip?
tlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Advice -

....this is what I would do....first snowflake hits the windshield - pull over ASAP - even if it's a motel - camp out (in a motel room, if necessary) until the weather clears and the streets/highways are dry.

In the long run, one or two days won't matter - no matter how much money you throw at it - a damaged AS will never be the same again.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I did that trip last January. I was fortunate to get warm temperatures and no snow. But on the way back, I wasn't so lucky.

Even if the snow is just flurries, you have to be cautious about the snow-melting chemicals they spread on the road. They will do a number on your Airstream -- the steel on it is not rustproofed like your car. After seeing the damage done to my trailer from just ONE DAY towing on snowy highways, I will never again tow if there's even a chance of snow. My tongue and steel propane tanks rusted almost instantly, the entry step rusted, the door lock's coating peeled off, etc. I spent a lot of time with the sandblaster and paint fixing it all.

And of course, towing in wet/slippery/snowy conditions is a bad choice regardless.

I think the idea of staging the Airstream in NC is an excellent one. That way you aren't tempted to risk a dangerous tow if there's a 3-day snowstorm in the northeast right when you want to leave.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
....this is what I would do....first snowflake hits the windshield - pull over ASAP - even if it's a motel - camp out (in a motel room, if necessary) until the weather clears and the streets/highways are dry.

In the long run, one or two days won't matter - no matter how much money you throw at it - a damaged AS will never be the same again.
I agree, there is nothing quite like the puckery feeling of having your AS trying to pass you on the highway. There is much less chance of snow or ice in the Southeast where you want to stage you coach, and even if it does, it is gone in a day or two.
Terry
Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I towed down to Florida from Cleveland, Ohio area last January 24th in a snow storm so bad I could not go over 50 MPH from 10 miles South of Lake Erie through about 1/3 of West Virginia. The rig handled super, though, no complaints.

I agree with rluhr on the rust generated by such a trip. My new shocks look like they are 5 years old now. I gave her a good bath when I got down here, lord it was a mess. Taking the trailer to NC ahead of time is a superb idea. I did not have that choice, in fact I posponed my trip for a month thinking better weather would arrive, and it never did. Weather was bad in Ohio for a month after I left.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
There is nothing like escaping Snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlake
I am looking for advice regarding winter towing to Florida.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding this trip?
We did the same trip as Pick but in reverse last February. Headed right into a terrible snow storm from West Virginia on up to Southern Ontario. We are more than accustom to snowy road conditions - and if you take it slow and consistent with a good towing set up and excellent brakes you should have no troubles.

Most accidents in the snow are caused by exccessive speed and not leaving enough room between you and the guy infront as well as inexperienced drivers. I also think too many people worry about what the other guy is thinking - you drive the speed you think is SAFE for you and nevermind about the otherguy. Driving in snow in many ways is no different than driving in torrential rainfall (which we had the pleasure of doing so from Louisiana all the way to West Virginia - too) As a Canuck - give me snow over rain any day -

Icey roads are taboo no matter where you are from - so 87MH's advice on getting a motel would be more than prudent. Oh, also forgot to mention the driving was done by both Hubby and I - and in our 4 wheel drive Kia this is when a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle comes in real handy - you don't need power you need friction/traction to get you through snow. The biggest problem we had was the wiring harness rusting before we even picked up the trailer - we think it was faulty and shorted out to due the overload of salt on the way down.

We had no problems with rust on our Vintage baby - if you pick up salt and slush on the way up (south to north) and you are in freezing weather make sure your rig stays outside until you can give it a wash with hot water and shamoi dry tootsuit. On the reverse once you get to your desitnation a thorough rinse and dry will do the trick.

You can also take some preventive measures and apply a coating of white grease to those pesky metal areas such as the A-frame and steps, bumpers etc.

Avoid salt trucks and snow plows if at all possilbe -but if you slow right down and give him a wide berth and you should be okay. Speed and fresh salt would probably be like driving through a hail storm.

Don't let a bit of snow scare you off - only you will be your best judge on your own driving skills. Lots of people pull trailers in the snow - Transports, and all those snowmobiler fanatics - they can't just pop em in the trunk

Good luck - and have fun - but be safe - drive slow and leave yourself lots of room.

PS. We were thinking of heading to Key West this Winter from Ontario but not sure if Florida will be ready for vistors??? anyone have any insight???
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hey tlake

unless you have had plenty of experience towing something heavy in the snow, take your trailer south ahead of time.

here is my rig ready to go to melburne when we got a little dusting in october!

john

Old 10-02-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
however,

things get much better once you get there!

(this shot was taken the following spring)

john

Old 10-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
GT6921, things seem to be recovering fast in the Northern areas of Florida, not sure how things are going down South, but Key West should be in good shape.

JohnHD, coming to Melborne this year??
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:33 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
JohnHD, coming to Melborne this year??

pick,

i wish i could, my schedule cannot allow it.

unless, the power company sends me down there on a little "vacation"!

john
Old 10-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Florida

John:

Where is the resort where the picture was taken? We're thinking about a trip to Florida in late October or early November. I'm a Florida native - and I still have property there - but we're thinking of spending our time in the Airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
however,

things get much better once you get there!

(this shot was taken the following spring)

john

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
It looks like Port O' Call to me. We have made the trip for the last 4 years and have not run into any problems. We never leave until after the new year and come back usually in March. I'm on the coast just below the VA line and we don't get a lot of snow.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Where is the resort where the picture was taken?
that WAS port o call in melbourne, sadly it no longer exists.

john
Old 10-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
winter towing

i too will be towing this winter. leaving san diego to dallas december 15th. taking the southern route I-8, I-10, I-20 into dallas.

anyone do this run during this time frame? i will leave dallas about 3 jan and head back west.

input, advice, do's and don'ts? i will be pulling with a dodge 2500 diesel so my truck is fine.

thanks
david h
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhe9
i too will be towing this winter. leaving san diego to dallas december 15th. taking the southern route I-8, I-10, I-20 into dallas.

anyone do this run during this time frame? i will leave dallas about 3 jan and head back west.

thanks
david h
Texas weather is pretty unpredictable, but we usually have pretty good weather till late January here in central Texas(the WBCCI midwinter rally is January 10-14 in Conroe, SE of Dallas). Our unit is planning to attend that rally and serve one of the meals. This year, we had a forum rally in January.

The I-20 into Dallas leg and the I-10 portion just west of that probably risk the worst weather since fronts come down through the panhandle and often stall out about along that line. Worst case, you might get a bit of sleet or temporary road icing with a real strong front. Not real likely, though. Subsoil will be too warm for any long-term icing. Risk is highest on the return trip.

I would watch the weather and winterize the trailer only if some real cold nights are predicted. Good chance you will get away without doing so.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #16

2004 25' Safari
Wyckoff , New Jersey
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all for your good advice. Based on your response I will take the trailer to North Carilina this month to jump start the Florida trip in December, avoiding any bad weather in NJ.
tlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlake
Thanks to all for your good advice. Based on your response I will take the trailer to North Carilina this month to jump start the Florida trip in December, avoiding any bad weather in NJ.
I believe that is an excellent plan. I've been in Texas over 22 yrs. but spent most of my 'formitive' years north of Boston, dad was in the Navy??!! Minimal 'winterization' techniques are required when South of the Mason/Dixon. Also, I don't drive in snow & ice anymore, I just wait a day or two!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote