Old 08-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

Navarre , Florida
Winter island park, ma

We are trying to find a place close to Salem to visit our son and family, but it seems there's nothing but this place around and it has some pretty bad reviews. Anyone have experience with this park or a recommendation otherwise? Thx

Old 08-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
According to AllStays a you don't really have a lot of options there. If you're an Elk, there's an Elk lodge with camper parking about 10 miles away in Saugus, MA.

Don't know why there aren't more options there....

Old 08-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
In 2013 we went across country and one of our stops was to see a friend in Beverly, MA. We did not know about Winter Island Park at that time and stayed at Cape Ann Camp Site Campground in Gloucester. It is rated at 3 stars on AllStays but I would rate it as a 1 or 2 at the most. It is hilly, rocky, and the bathrooms were terrible. We pulled our 25 Flying Cloud through the campsite and I was amazed we did not bend anything on a tree or a rock.

We are planning on going back to the Boston Area next year and have selected Winter Park as the place we will stay. The person we will be seeing is in Beverly, just across the harbor, and I can put up with whatever in Winter Park if I don't have to go to Gloucester. I don't know of anything else in the area.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
We were just there a few weeks ago and have stayed there several times in the past. We like the park but is is marina parking so it's mostly paved. We always stay in one of the waterfront sites. I think they're more expensive but they're worth it. We have a fb so it allows us a nice view of the harbor from inside our trailer. And those ocean smells and breezes- nice! We like this park primarily for its location right on the water. No frills camping but you do have water and electricity. My first choice would be waterfront or site 10a, then site 10, then the sites along the building then the sites in the field. If I could only get a site against the building or in the field I might rework my dates. I just don't like these sites very much. The sites against the building are charmless and the field site area is too busy for me. I definitely recommend you give the park a try. I don't know what the reviews say but if you're okay with no amenities ( aside from the gorgeous harbor!) I say go for it!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
We've had rallies there...the field is great for that. Otherwise, yeah...its not what you'd call a "destination" camp ground. But it is a great place to park for a few days when you're there to see the sites.
BTW, there is no dump station; you can dump for free at the sewer treatment plant, which is on your way in/out of the campground. (its close by, but not so close that it has any noticeable impact on your camping experience!).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

Navarre , Florida
Thanks. Reviews I've read are up and down but there aren't many alternatives.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
Staying there next week at a waterfront site. Hope it's nice.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: TRL DUST
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Naples , New York
Mass Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
We are trying to find a place close to Salem to visit our son and family, but it seems there's nothing but this place around and it has some pretty bad reviews. Anyone have experience with this park or a recommendation otherwise? Thx
The Park in Lttleton is excellent. As you see, not many parks in Mass.
Larry
Old 08-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Littleton would be a haul from Salem. There's plenty of campgrounds in MA...just not in Suburban Boston. Gotta get outside of 495 for the real estate to be cheap enough.
And that's part of the reason that Winter Island exists...its owned by the town. Its had various uses over the years, but before the town re-took possession of it most recently, it was a Coast Guard base. They used to launch amphibious airplanes from there. (remember those old Grumman flying boats?). The boat ramp they have there is the widest one I've ever seen. (probably 100' or more). It was built to launch and recover those airplanes.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The Minuteman campground in Littleton is absolutely beautiful but as Chuck said - it's a very long haul from Salem.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Taking a slightly different look at the same problem; you could stay at one of the State Parks on the South Shore (for example Wompatuck in Hingham) and use the commuter boat service (from Hingham to Boston, Boston to Salem) so you can leave for trailer parked up but still go to Salem (on foot) with no traffic.