Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Bethany,
Drip is A-OK... not a whole lot going on though (except for the parking lot traffic in to Austin). Since you're out that way, take a day trip or two to Fredricksburg and Kerrville... check out Wimberley (on the Blanco)... won't regret it at all... promise. And, there some cool places to camp at. The coast shouldn't be too crowded just yet so it may be worth your time to take at least a short trip. From Austin, Corpus Christi is about 3 1/2 hours away... 4 with traffic.

Welcome to Texas!

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Hey Jaxon! Thanks for the word on "Drip!" It means a lot to hear that the area is a nice spot from a Texan. We are OK with the not much going on part... we work from the trailer while we travel so we have plenty to keep us busy. I was just poking around last night looking at places to stay down around Bandera. May do that sometimes while we are here too.

I am lovin' the sunny days here in Texas so far!

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
I agree with all above , except it is almost impossible to get into state park on South Padre Island. People who stay there have first choice to sign up for the next yr. ..leaving no space for new persons to make reservations. I've tried for last 2 yrs.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Winter in Drippin’

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpeanut
Howdy everyone... we are spending the next two months in Dripping Springs,TX which is about 45 minutes West of Austin in hill country. I am sure it'll get cold at night... but we are gonna go for it anyway. We had thought about heading down to the coast but we were afraid it would be too crowded. I will take cold over a crowd so hopefully it'll all work out. This is our first time in Texas so I will be sure to report back on what we find.
Hi Bethany,

I lived about 20 miles from Dripping Springs a few years ago. You can expect the occasional freeze, but you should be fine for the most part. A pex waterline with a heat tape would be a good investment. It’s a great area.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin
I agree with all above , except it is almost impossible to get into state park on South Padre Island. People who stay there have first choice to sign up for the next yr. ..leaving no space for new persons to make reservations. I've tried for last 2 yrs.
I am glad that we did not try for it then with that info. It was one of the areas we had first thought about for this winter.

Vaughan... thanks for the suggestion on the waterline and heat tape. Will do.

Our campsite here in Drippin' is outstanding. There are only 14 spaces in the whole park (all full hook ups) and we are backed up to a nice little creek surrounded by cedars and junipers. No neighbors so to speak (there's one guy three spaces down from us.) The only drawback so far is absolutely no cell service at all and I have to jump through some hoops to get online. But the area is beautiful. The folks that own this park are about as great as you could hope for. Down to earth, helpful and friendly. I give it a big fat thumbs up for anyone who is interested in headed down this way at any point. We are heading out to explore the town and surrounding area today.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Be sure to visit the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg. And, the KOA at that town is awfully nice (great owner/managers) if you get tired of your current spot.

As to the Valley offering "more" one has to keep in mind that canned entertainment has it's limits (unless you are intent on traveling in Mexico).

By contrast, from Corpus Christi, San Antonio is a little over 100 miles away, and Houston is only a few short hours. CC is well-situated for day trips, the Valley ain't. It's a long haul back to civilization from there: Harlingen to San Antonio is over 260-miles. There ain't nothing in between.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
it's windy and very quiet and it will be cold alittle
Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
So far so good here in Drippin'. Seriously... if anyone is ever passing through this way the campground we are staying in is a pretty sweet deal. It's called Cottonwood Creek. You need to be a pretty self sufficient set up in the sense that there is no bath house, no camp store and the nearest grocery is about 25 minutes away... but they do have laundry and free wifi. The main thing here is this... the owners CARE about the place and they are really in to helping you have a good stay while in their area. And the place is so freakin' quiet!

We checked out the town of Blanco yesterday. Our poor dog got stung by a scorpion at high noon right out on the town plaza. We rushed him to the vet and they fixed him up right quick but man did it suck. Hopefully that will be the end of that sort of business.

Has anyone ever been down to Bandera? We are thinking about trying that area out next.

Hey Cactus (the originator if this thread) the weather here so far is great! 80's during the day and 50's at night. Although I am sure it will drop down quite a bit lower pretty quick here. Have you decided if you are heading down this way yet?

Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #23
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Bandera used to be pretty cool... been "absorbed" by San Antone. Years ago, used to have a cool city park-lake to camp at. Haven't been there for quite some time because of traffic and expansion of the "Greater San Antonio" area...

Sorry about the Scorpion bite in Blanco... scorpions here aren't serious. You DO, however, know you've been bitten. Hope you get a chance to check out Wimberley, Fredrickburg, Kerrville )home of the folk festival) & New Braunfels. Maybe even take in a show at Gruene Hall...

http://www.gruenehall.com/
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Hope you get a chance to check out Wimberley, Fredrickburg, Kerrville )home of the folk festival) & New Braunfels. Maybe even take in a show at Gruene Hall...

Gruene Hall Official Home Page
We will be checking out all of these places for sure. I'm glad we will be here for a few months so we won't run out of time to get it all in. Thanks for the heads up on Bandera too. I will brace myself for the fact that it has been swallowed up in the sprawl. Thanks for the link to the hall... I will check it out tonight to see what is going on there.