Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Winter AS'ing 'Safe' Temps.

Hi all.

I have been reading the threads re: winter AS'ing and the problems associated with that, and most are what we here in Ohio call "out West". Now, I know that many areas have snow, etc. in the Winter, but I assumed (assuming, not a good thing) that there are more warm areas "out West" than not in the Winter. I am know coming to the conclusion that it is probably the other way around, is that right?

So, I'm asking, about where and South of that would you need to be to be in 55 degrees F and above during the day, above 45 degrees F in the pm? I'm wondering how difficult it would be to find a few states to travel around in during the Winter to sightsee and stay comfortable at the same time?

(I am a "visual" person, so for me, in thinking about the US and visualizing a map, I had rather thought that if you drew an imaginary line horizontally across the map around mid-state Arizona and ran this line through any corresponding states, squaring this line across, you should be in relatively warm weather in the Winter out there. Is this thinking wrong?)

Thanks, I hope this makes sense.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Essentially, it boils down to latitude (distance north), elevation, and, for moisture, prevailing storm tracks (jet stream). So if you're far to the south, but high in elevation, you'll get cold (and likely see white stuff, depending on the jet stream). But if you're further to the south and low in elevation, then you can expect warmer temps.

The usual areas for warmer temps are the lower elevation areas of southern California, southern Arizona, and, to a lesser degree, southern NM. (South Texas is all low elevation.)

Lynn
Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Lynn has it right...in or neck of the woods (SoAZ) we enjoy winter camping...in fact we have never winterized our rig...it doesn't get that cold... However, it's all about altitude out here...there is a snow ski area in the Catalina Mts mere miles from Tucson...the higher you go the colder it gets. And even areas south of Tucson get colder than Tucson in the winter because they are a little higher...Phx is typically 5 or so degrees warmer than Tucson because we are a bit higher than Phx. Freezing is always a possibilty, depending on weather patterns...for example we had a hard freeze Tuesday night (this is not a regular occurrence) ...the official low was 23 degrees, but it was 27 in our yard...and we'll be in the mid-tohigh 40s at night within a few days. We can get into the low 30s/high 20s on a regular basis, but the days are rather balmy compared to other parts of the nation. (We can always spot the winter visitors...they're the ones in the shorts and tank-tops.) So the key is paying attention to altitude out here to avoid cold areas...same for SoNM, though it always seems that SoNM is colder than SoAZ for some reason... Come on out and give Arizona a try!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Look at the USDA plant hardiness zone map below. It shows average winter lows and is as good a visual depiction as any, showing in particular the coastal regions which are temperate despite their more northerly latitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ushzm1a.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	116355  
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
_

. , .
i like the 'plant map' but here r 2 better visuals...

go outside and look UP.

see those birdies going south?

follow them.

or

tow south from ohio till everything is green again, now relax.

then continue south till a blue horizon is found.

_________

draw a line from atlanta to LA.

then stay below it.

from ohio and for a first winter of rv escaping use the gulf coast e/w and down into texas.

plenty of mild weather, moderately priced camping and none of the craziness of socal.

and about 1/2 as much "get there driving" as it takes to get 2 az.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
Hi!

We live in Southern California, and have only camped in the west.

Over Thanksgiving we camped in Temecula, and we were surprised by how cold it got overnight. Below freezing!! We were fine with the furnace, an auxiliary heater (that went to heater heaven the night before we left), our electric blankets, and our two dogs (they are tiny but but were a key element in the warming!!)

We are going back in late December and will use the same plan (new auxiliary heater) PLUS, I am going to try hanging an electric blanket in front of the panoramic windows as a LOT of heat goes out right there!!

Cathy
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Pete View Post
...I am going to try hanging an electric blanket in front of the panoramic windows as a LOT of heat goes out right there!!

Cathy
wild idea, let us know how that works.

a much simple'r approach is to cut foil covered bubble foam to FIT the panos.

2 layers is even better.

another option is insert a vinyl pool floatation mattress into the windows/behind the shade/curtains.

then blow it up, to conform with the shape.

yellow or green or red make for interesting colors as the sun shine hits it.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Cold is dependent on where you live all year, if you are from a northern state, our southern temps are mild, if you live in the south then mild turns to cold.
Yesterday we were in the 80's, tonight it is supposed to go down to 29 for a few hours.
Last winter was bad as our usual 3 days of cold on each front, lasted for weeks.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Newport Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
wild idea, let us know how that works...

another option is insert a vinyl pool floatation mattress into the windows/behind the shade/curtains.

then blow it up, to conform with the shape...

cheers
2air'
That sounds pretty wild, too.

Both methods would have secondary purposes, and I do like to up-cycle!!

Cathy
Cathy&Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
In storage? Or parked without monitoring? I think you should consider within the southern lower elevations of CA, AZ, NM, TX, Gulf Coast shore and south FL. Last winter had a few harsh blasts and we had a number of threads from central/south TX & FL wondering how to winterize quickly.

In use? With the furnace running? That is pretty easily accomplished down to the upper teens. There are ways to accomplish this quite a bit colder but that will take some study (see ROBERTSUNRUS).

There are a lot of possibilities if you are online and able to monitor weather forecasts a handful of days ahead -- and have flexibility to suddenly move 500 miles south (staying north of the border that is). I've lived in central Texas and can say without a doubt that you would experience a few bouts of tough conditions around Dallas or Arkansas -- even in a normal winter. Beware of altitude out west.

I see it mentioned, but dripping a faucet is absolutely no protection against freezing up or protecting yourself against the tank freezups we've seen reported from Michigan and Colorado this last week. Living in southeast TX growing up, I remember dripping faucets that froze solid overnight and attic-run water pipes (the norm in slab foundation southern homes) bursting and showering the home miserably. And trailers are less capable from the get-go. It takes some study, preparation and constant monitoring -- even in midwest conditions it is possible to 'exist' inside your Airstream. You think sweating walls are romantic? nickcrowhurst's adage couldn't apply more in cases of winter living -- "The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."

I suspect you can rent a mobile home in the Rio Grande valley or southern FL for a month or more for not much more than the price of gas driving there. I don't think I could stand that many trips to Luby's.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Freezing temps

here we are @3100 feet in the beautiful New Mexican desert...yesterday it was 25degrees...this am it is 35...we are headed up towards Las Vegas and Santa Fe where forecasts of low 20s are common and I feel comfortable....for overnight stays and as long as there is not a forecast of extended below freezing temps.......and no blizzards and the ability to head south at a moments notice is not impared...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks everyone for your replies. We are not retired yet, but are looking ahead and planning. I suppose I just always thought it was warmer "out West" in all areas than here in Ohio.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Pete View Post
Hi!

....<snip<.... We are going back in late December and will use the same plan (new auxiliary heater) PLUS, I am going to try hanging an electric blanket in front of the panoramic windows as a LOT of heat goes out right there!!

Cathy
Stock AS curtains don't offer much in the way of insulation...that's one of the reasons we've lined all the curtains we made for our Bambi. It's amazing how much difference there is between lined and non-lined curtains...in terms of both light blocking and heat retention...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
okay, here is my 25 cents.....water running stops the hose from freezing hard. If you travel south you will rarely have 24hr below freezing temps....that's what happens in the midwest and up north areas. last winter season it snowed in Florida, Texas and Arizona. no damage.....if I forgot to leave the faucet running the hose to the camp faucet would freeze until sun melted the problem. remember you are on wheels and go many directions and if you forget to monitor your propane even up......hoosiergypsy getting a bit nippy at night here in OK land........
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I think you need to come up here to mountain country where you'll see mountain streams that are frozen solid.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGypsy View Post
okay, here is my 25 cents.....water running stops the hose from freezing hard. If you travel south you will rarely have 24hr below freezing temps....that's what happens in the midwest and up north areas. last winter season it snowed in Florida, Texas and Arizona. no damage.....if I forgot to leave the faucet running the hose to the camp faucet would freeze until sun melted the problem. remember you are on wheels and go many directions and if you forget to monitor your propane even up......hoosiergypsy getting a bit nippy at night here in OK land........
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedar Lake , Indiana
yes Lynn,
I imagine it is quite breath taking.......brrrrrrrr.........
somedaysoon is offline   Reply With Quote