Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Wingeezer is at Van Horn Tx.

Well, we left our home near Toronto a week yesterday. Had an argument witb a concrete curb hidden in deeps snow at a gas stop on our way to Michigan!

We didn't realize that we had damaged the trailer until we arrived at Lansing Mi., and found that the steps were broken!

In looking more closely, I found our gas lines were buggered up and we had damaged the front rock guard (The lower plastic section) , right front stabilizer, and ripped the painted panels (do you call them banana skins?) both in front and behind the steps!

I was sick about it and almost tempted to turn around and go home even though we were just starting a seven week trip!

Luckily, Connie, always more of an optimist than me, realized that Jackson Centre would not be far off our planned route, so we took a slight detour there to see if they could help.

We arrived Sunday, and plugged in as the only residents at the Terraport, & went into the office at 7am Monday morning. Chris was able to take us in right away, and even offered to pull the trailer back out that night if we wanted to stay at the plant.

Instead, we opted for a motel and let them get on with the repairs!

All fixed up late on Tuesday, and I had them put on a new set of tires to replace our 5 year old Marathons.

Unfortunately, I thought I was buying Towmasters which I had heard good reports about, but they turned out to be Towmax, which JC are now selling.

My mistake! I don't know much about them, hope they are ok. I moved up from class D to class E tires, and I am running then at a tad over 60psi for a GVW of 8700#.

I started at 65 psi and felt they were giving our trailer a rougher ride that our
Marathons at 55psi, so dropped them down - seems better.

We stopped for a couple of days at Austin and had a good time, now headed to Silver Springs NM - will be there tomorrow, (Tuesday). We will stop a couple of days, then head to Apache Jct as a base for a week or so, then down to Tucson where we have reservations for a couple of weeks at our favourite RV Park, then down to Bisbee for a few days.

Thinking about ordered new skylights from Maxim in Dallas and picking them up on the return trip - then a stop to take in a show or two and break the homeward journey at Branson, which we have done a couple of times before

Cheers to all! ............. Brian & Connie M.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Sounds like you guys are in for a great trip! Glad JC was able to fix you up. Sounds mostly like cosmetic stuff.. all the low hanging fruit. Things happen.

Keep us posted and we love pictures!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
At Rincon Country West RV park in Tucson now - one of our favourite hangouts. It is a 55+park just SW of the city centre with great facilities.

Here's a hint - if you ask for an "Internet site" it is half price at about $24 a night, quite a deal.

the sites do back onto a private road to a respectable gated mobile home community next door, but separated by a hedge and fence - we have stayed here several times and never had the slightest problem.

I don't tell everyone, because I want to be sure of getting one when we come here - but you guys are special!

There is another couple here at the park who we met at Jackson Centre on the way down, just a coincidence that they were headed for the same park!

Brian & Connie M.

PS - truck and trailer running fine. One minor hiccup. At Silver City New Mexico, they predicted 26F overnight, so I left a trickle of water running in the galley and bathroom sinks.

Only problem was that I forgot I had also closed the gray tank valve to save some water to flush the hose next day!

Result? Mrs Wingeezer woke me at 4 am when she went for a pee and found the shower overflowing onto the bathroom floor!

No big deal, but it took a few days to dry the bedroom carpet!!

Great weather in Tucson - 80F today!

cheers ......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Wow!

Sounds like a great time! Good luck with the next leg of your trip. Hope you have smooth roads ahead! Have fun!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
How'd the Maxim Skylights turn out. Did you like them?

You know I've always meant to drive up to see David when I pass thru the are on other business, but never have. He sounds like a really nice guy and I was curious to see the facility where they make the skylights...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I had a similar run-in with a snow-covered curb at a gas station recently. I've tried to understand why I didn't anticipate the curb in the snow. I've decided I was totally distracted at the time -- Sirius radio blaring, wife chatting away, GPS telling me I had reached my destination, brilliant sun on the snow and God knows how many other distractions. It could've been a huge and costly mistake and it brought home an important lesson to me. My new motto, borrowed from Robert Duvall's Sonny, is, "Get behind me, Satan." I know I have to really concentrate on safe driving, instead of worrying about the iPhone, OnStar, GPS, TPMS, CB radio, Sirius radio, beloved but chatty wife, and all of the other devils on my shoulder.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Brian,

Glad to see you made it to sunny Tucson. Hard to believe just last Sunday it was snowing when I woke up. So goes life in the Sonoran Desert. Anyway, I wanted to give you a "heads up" about a fantastic air show this Saturday up in Casa Grande if you are looking for something to do. It is called the Cactus-Fly-In and has a great selection of vintage planes and warbirds that come in from around the western part of the country. It is held at the Casa Grande Regional Airport and you can walk among the planes on the tarmac and stand around and watch them coming and going. If you are interested in vintage aircraft and the sound of large radial engines, it is not to be missed. You can find more info if you google Cactus Fly In. The show is also listed for Sunday, but many of the planes end up leaving on Saturday, so I have found that to be the best day to attend. Just thought you might like to know!

Tim
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
How'd the Maxim Skylights turn out. Did you like them?

You know I've always meant to drive up to see David when I pass thru the are on other business, but never have. He sounds like a really nice guy and I was curious to see the facility where they make the skylights...

Hi Kevin,

Ive been dialoging with Liz & David over the last week or so and yesterday approed the quote that they sent me and am just awaiting them to send me an invoice thru paypal so I can pay and get the ball rolling.

My plan is to collect them in Dallas around 24 March and take them home to Ontario to install. They sure look to be a superior product than the flimsy originals AS puts on!

I wonder why AS don't consider using them - the retail price is not much different than for the originals.

I spoke to a guy yesterday at Oasis RV here in Tucson (they do Airstream work). He was aware of this product and I think he said he had spoken with AS about putting on a better product as he as lots of customers having to have their cracked skylights replaced.

I didn't quite understand why, but he indicated to me that he was not able to buy the Maxim product for his customers - maybe it is due to his affiliation with AS?

A couple of things you could help me with if you would be kind enough!

(1) After carefully measuring my skylight curbs as best I can with the original skylights still in place, I am ordering skylights dimensioned such that there should be 1/4" clearance all around.

The dimensions that Maxim said would fit my trailer based on other customers they have supplied would seem to give just 1/8" clearance.

The reason I wanted slightly more is mainly in case the curbs on my trailer are not truly square - I cannot really check that with the skylights in place.

Having 1/4" nominal clearance an all sides I felt would gve me more of a margin of error.

I don't really think the slightly greater clearance should cause any problem but so far Maxim have only said to me "Tell us the size you wan't and we'll make them!" So that is what I am doing.

Do you see this causing any problem?

(2) When you buy self tappers to secure the skylights, did you size them to go thru both walls of the curb, or just one side? I plan to buy the same type bolts you used If I can get them here in Tucson.

(3) Do you think it would be good to use stainless washers between the skylight frame and the curb to prevent the self tappers from distorting the aluminum skylight frames?

Appreciate any comment / advice you might have!

Thanks ......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
I had a similar run-in with a snow-covered curb at a gas station recently. I've tried to understand why I didn't anticipate the curb in the snow. I've decided I was totally distracted at the time -- Sirius radio blaring, wife chatting away, GPS telling me I had reached my destination, brilliant sun on the snow and God knows how many other distractions. It could've been a huge and costly mistake and it brought home an important lesson to me. My new motto, borrowed from Robert Duvall's Sonny, is, "Get behind me, Satan." I know I have to really concentrate on safe driving, instead of worrying about the iPhone, OnStar, GPS, TPMS, CB radio, Sirius radio, beloved but chatty wife, and all of the other devils on my shoulder.
Yep, This was totally my own stupid fault! I got my truck stuck in snow as I pulled the trailer around a tight curve and just put it in 4WD and went ahead even though I could see the inside corner of the trailer dangerously close to the snowbank.

Just a minute to walk back and assess things would have saved me $1600!

To use an expression an old boss of mine used to say,

"BF&FI" (Brute force and %$#$%^%$ ignorance!)

Brian (Another sunny day in Tucson - going geocaching today!)

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryHeat56 View Post
Brian,

Glad to see you made it to sunny Tucson. Hard to believe just last Sunday it was snowing when I woke up. So goes life in the Sonoran Desert. Anyway, I wanted to give you a "heads up" about a fantastic air show this Saturday up in Casa Grande if you are looking for something to do. It is called the Cactus-Fly-In and has a great selection of vintage planes and warbirds that come in from around the western part of the country. It is held at the Casa Grande Regional Airport and you can walk among the planes on the tarmac and stand around and watch them coming and going. If you are interested in vintage aircraft and the sound of large radial engines, it is not to be missed. You can find more info if you google Cactus Fly In. The show is also listed for Sunday, but many of the planes end up leaving on Saturday, so I have found that to be the best day to attend. Just thought you might like to know!

Tim

Many thanks Tim, I'll run that by "Mrs Wingeezer," she may argue for the
Tanque Verde Swap meet, but then we can go there any weekend.

We are planning one day to drive up to Apache Jct. to spend a day at the Renaissance Faire - been a few years back and had a good time there!

Brian

PS before joining Canadian National Railway where I spent my working days, I worked briefly at Pratt & Whitney in Montreal. My work was on the PT6 gas turbine, but at that time (mid sixties) they were still overhauling the Wasp and Twin Wasp radial engines - impressive piece of engineering for sure!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are enjoying traveling along with you. I thought that we were the only ones that had mishaps like that.

Keep us posted on your adventures, and we really need to see some pictures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We are enjoying traveling along with you. I thought that we were the only ones that had mishaps like that.

Keep us posted on your adventures, and we really need to see some pictures.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I have been taking a few pics, but never tried posting any on the forum as I recall. Not quite sure what is involved, I guess the info must be there someplace, I'll try to take a look.

Presume there ids a size limit to the jpegs, or does the forum somehow size it properly when you submit a picture?

Brian (The other one - well, an other one!)

PS- No luck finding geocaches today, but a great day for a hike in the desert and half way up a mountain before Mrs Wingeezer and I gave it up as a bad job! Back at the AS rewarding myself now with a couple of G&T's and annoying neighbours with a little five string clawhammer banjo practce!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
UPDATE

Well, we will be "On the Road again" early tomorrow morning, the trailer is all hooked up and the truck is only sticking about 2 feet into the road so should be ok! Ms. Wingeezer wants me to shine two solar floodlights that we have on the front of the truck so that fellow senior citizens here at the park who may have cataracts don't run into it. I will! (Anything to keep the peace.)

We had a great 3 1/2 weeks here in Tucson, almost constant sunshine and temperatures in the mid eighties.

Had one very minor problem with the trailer while here. I noticed that the nylon drain plug in the water heater was dripping a bit and decied to remove it and try some teflon tape (that fixed it!)

In the process, I of course had to drain the tank, and I opened the pressure relief valve to let air in.

Water got all over the place - which didn't surprise me - but what did surprise me was that afterwards I could get no hot water either on 110V or on gas!

I dried everything off on the water heater, had a look at the wiring diagram and trouble shooting notes, then decided that before going further I would just pull off all the spade connectors and circuit board connectors and clean up all the contacts with a pocket knife.

Luckily that was all that it took! Fine ever since! I used to have the same problem with our last (non AS) trailer - 90% of the problems were just high resistance connections. I often thought i should solder everything!

Tomorrow we head towards Dallas - Fort Worth where we will collect the Maxin Skylights that I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Saves a substantial amount in shipping and duty (to Canada) iof I just pick them up at the factory

Others seem very happy with this product and I hope I will be. The original skylights seem to be a very flimsy product. Ours are cracked all around the mounting screw holes in the flange and I had to goop them with sealant to fix leaks. Shouldn't be on a 2005 trailer.

Since we have not been to D-FW before, we will stay a few days - hope to camp at a town called "Grapevine" between and to the North of D & FW.

They run a train (steam I think?) in to the FW stockyard area and I hope we can take that one day.

If time permits, we will also make a stop to take in a show or two at Branson on the way home.

When we get home (01 April +/- ?) snow should be gone and it will be time to get the Goldwing out again for another riding season - once I have our taxes sorted out!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
April

Brian and Connie,
If you are headed back this direction toward OH during the first week of April you might consider a small detour to the OH TAC rally at Wooster. It is on the calendar. We would love to camp with you. Larry is installing a new water heater this weekend. Glad to hear that yours is back to working without too much of a hassle. Have a safe trip. We look forward to keeping up with your trip as you go.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote