Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wife and I need campground recommendations

My wife and I live in Birmingham, AL.

My Dad is going to keep our 2 children for a 4 day weekend in mid June and we will take off for a trip somewhere for that weekend and celebrate our 7 year anniversary

Anyway, this is our first year of camping with our Airstream and I think I am realizing that RV'ing is very popular...stuff gets booked up quite early!

We will be camping at topsail hill for a week in mid may, so kinda wanna switch it up to something different for the 4 day weekend in June.

Perhaps in mountains in GA....I have never really been there at all but hear some great camping and nice weather perhaps for June (ie not so incredibly hot?).

We would enjoy a spot somewhere that has easy access to a nice lake to swim in and lounge....perhaps a bit of hiking and biking a bit (we have mountain bikes that we have not used essentially since our little'ins were born starting 3.5 years ago).

Just want some nice mountain scenery, water....would love to have a spot actually on a lake or a nice river for swimming for a romantic weekend...

We are pretty open to any ideas...prefer to keep the drive within 5 hours or less from home - 6 if it is VERY nice spot.

Yeah, that is broad...but hey, lets see what you all think

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
seems like at canopener I was told vogel state park was nice...im looking at that one now...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
PG- Nice that you two can get away for a nice weekend.

How about where the two spring Airstream rallies are- Lake Wateree SP and the Georgia Mountain Campground. Both are on a lake.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You won't go wrong at Vogel. It is a beautiful setting and your legs will get quite the work out if you bike anywhere due to terrain. There is very little in the immediate vicinty except water, trees, and a road that all the motorcycle riders love to use on the weekend. Nearby, top of the mountain gap, you can hike along the Appalachian trail.

You might also want to consider visiting Elkmont Campground near Gatlinburg, TN 37738. Higher elevation so cooler temps in June, an easy interstate run of about 300 miles/5 hours from Birmingham, and has a nice river. It is the gateway to the Smokey Mountains.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Another vote for Vogel. Also, Cloud land Canyon (no lake) is beautiful. The Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds is a nice public park and is where Springstream is held. GMF is close to Brasstown Bald (GA's highest point), and Amicalola Falls (great hiking, maybe biking)
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Georgia mt fairgrounds or top of Georgia ASpark are both good spots. Must be WBCCI member at the top. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
A couple of campgrounds we really like are Vogel State Park (a Georgia State Park) and Elkmont Campground (in the Great Smoky Mountains Natl Park). Sites at Elkmont on the river are the best and go quick - kind of like the Canopener sites. At Vogel, we like the campsites with a creek behind them for the white noise. Vogel has a nice lake too. Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My wife and I live in Birmingham, AL.

My Dad is going to keep our 2 children for a 4 day weekend in mid June and we will take off for a trip somewhere for that weekend and celebrate our 7 year anniversary

Anyway, this is our first year of camping with our Airstream and I think I am realizing that RV'ing is very popular...stuff gets booked up quite early!

We will be camping at topsail hill for a week in mid may, so kinda wanna switch it up to something different for the 4 day weekend in June.

Perhaps in mountains in GA....I have never really been there at all but hear some great camping and nice weather perhaps for June (ie not so incredibly hot?).

We would enjoy a spot somewhere that has easy access to a nice lake to swim in and lounge....perhaps a bit of hiking and biking a bit (we have mountain bikes that we have not used essentially since our little'ins were born starting 3.5 years ago).

Just want some nice mountain scenery, water....would love to have a spot actually on a lake or a nice river for swimming for a romantic weekend...

We are pretty open to any ideas...prefer to keep the drive within 5 hours or less from home - 6 if it is VERY nice spot.

Yeah, that is broad...but hey, lets see what you all think
Bogue Chitto State Park, Franklinton, Louisiana. 14 miles of hiking/biking trails. No lake, but there is canoeing/kayaking/swimming on the Bogue Chitto River, and the bottomland campsites are right along the riverbank. Just under 5 hours away by way of I-59 to Hattiesburg, MS, then US 98 to Tylertown, LA, then Louisiana 27 to the park. Bogue Chitto State Park - Louisiana Office of State Parks
Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Great - I'm off to look at these and check for availability

Old 02-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
There is an all AS park just outside Helen that is convenient.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Top of Georgia is the name of the park.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is not a bad park. There are alot of things to do up there. The AT runs right by there. I used to backpack and hike up there a lot. My folks use to have a place in Blairsville. Helen is not far if you like the touristy stuff. I can give you some info on places to hike if you decide to go there. Hiking up the AT to Blood mountain has some nice views. You can also hike up the Coosa Backcountry Trail from Vogel to the AT. It is not for the out of shape though.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
seems like at canopener I was told vogel state park was nice...im looking at that one now...
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Griffin , Georgia
Vogel is a great State Park. Lots to do, however, it is a little tight on the road in the campground. One of my favs is Mocassin Creek State Park. This is a very small campground right on Lake Burton. Great hiking right across the road from this park.

I love Amicalola State Park, for hiking. I would not attempt to take my airstream up that climb. Too steep for me. We go to the mountains camping several weeks during the year and also live in Georgia.
Bassrats2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Our vote is on Fort Mountain in Chatsworth,GA! It has all the amenities you listed and more. It's easy to get to just off of I75 near Dalton. It's our favorite with or without kids.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Around here I would recommend Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort. Hiltonheadharbor.com
Hilton Head SC is a great beach with many great restaurants and 45 minutes from downtown Savannah and 2 hours from Charleston SC. You could tour charleston and savannah one day and relax the rest. The resort is very upscale and has many high end RVers. It has a boat dock, nice restaurant and pool on the water.

If you do decide to come to Hilton Head PM me and il send you a guide of the area. We are locals and can suggest several places. We will even take you on a ride on our boat in exchange for a tour of the airstream. We are a young family also in the market for a AS so I always like to hear how other families like their experience.

I would also suggest Hunting Island state park which is nearby. You could even do both
huntingisland.com
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
No mountains, but Fort Pickens Campground down on the Gulf at Gulf Islands National Seashore near Pensacola looks interesting...Fort Pickens Campground- NPS
Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our normal weekend getaways, North Abutment Campground, a Corps of Engineers park in Grenada, MS and Yocona Ridge Campground, George Payne Cossar State Park, Oakland, MS are great spots for all of the above.
A little closer to you are J. P. Coleman State Park in Iuka, MS, Trace State Park in Pontotoc, MS, and Dewayne Hayes, a Corps of Engineers park in Columbus, MS. These are all beautiful parks with all the qualifications you listed.
Of the bunch, J. P. Coleman is the most beautiful.
Will y'all be able to get away Memorial weekend, Fourth of July, and Labor day?
I'm sure we will be in our usual spot at Grenada Lake (North Abutment) or Enid (Yocona Ridge). I should make reservations now for Memorial Day at Yocona Ridge. I miss my pet deer there.
Are you a TAC member? I am considering getting some TAC rallies together for those holiday weekends- but you ain't gotta be a TAC member- come if'n ya want to-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
For lots of options and scenery too I vote for Elkmont in Great Smoky Mtns. You can get your feet wet there and return with the kids another time! It is about 4.5 hours from Birmingham but take the north route into Gatlinburg with the trailer. It MAY be too far but just a thought.

Facility Details - ELKMONT CAMPGROUND, TN - Recreation.gov
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think I checked elkmont and no spots available?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Vogal is very nice
Good hiking
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote