Old 06-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
And I've found that the best part is that the 34' trailer is really no more of a problem to tow than a 23'. The only concession you have to make is watching the turning radius. Of course, you feel the weight of the 34', but the bonus is that it's much, MUCH easier to back than the short trailers.

Roger

Old 06-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I checked my favorite Towing Law Link.

The maximum width allowed is 8'-6" in every state except: NJ, PN & VA which only allow 8'-0" and HI which allows 9'-0"

Shari

Old 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
I vote for a wide bodied Bambi

As RoadKingMoe pointed out, a wide bodied Bambi could have a 54" wide bed rather the 48". The Safari with the identical same bed/bath setup as the Bambi is a wide body and while the width difference of 5.25" does not sound like much, it makes a big difference when it comes to the bed. As for the rest of the Bambi benefiting from a wider body, well that is not as cut and dried. We have the front couch rather than the dinette (our choice) and the sofa in our unit is EXACTLY the same as used in the 34' (we measured). The added width is put into the armrest storage areas. But if I had been given the option of an 8' Bambi or an 8.5' Bambi, the choice would have been a no brainer.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #18
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Just a note ... the new 28' CCD International is a wide body. I think we will see more in the International line.

As for the '34 ... the wife and I are getting pretty close to ordering our new AS .... we figured the '30 would be perfect until we stepped into a friend's '34.

My wife never cared for the lack of storage in the '30 ... and really fell in love with the '34. I'm a little bit leary of towing something that long ... but everyone I talk to who owns one says it isn't a big deal.

So now, we are leaning toward the '34. I should add that we will be full timing for at least 2 years. Also, my tow vehicle will be a F-350 Crew Cab with a Powerstroke.

Can't wait .. we're getting anxious.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:28 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Danny...

I was apprehensive about the 34'. I can tell you that you need not be! Maurice calmed my fears before I got mine, and hopefully we can calm yours. It's really not a problem.

Roger
Old 06-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: I vote for a wide bodied Bambi

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbw
The added width is put into the armrest storage areas.
There's a full-sized free arm sewing machine and a bunch of accessories in one of our arms. Wife's very happy about that.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny
As for the '34 ... the wife and I are getting pretty close to ordering our new AS .... we figured the '30 would be perfect until we stepped into a friend's '34.
As I've posted before, there was a 30, 31, and 34 side by side when we looked at ours. I thought the 31, with the double wardrobe and same side-bath as the 34, would be plenty for full-timing a few years, since we could eat at the fold-out table. My wife strongly disagreed and said she'd be willing to give up my half of the wardrobe for the extra food preparation space of the dinette across from the galley in the 30 if we went that route. She also wanted a dinette so she wouldn't have to pack away a sewing project to eat.

Quote:

My wife never cared for the lack of storage in the '30 ... and really fell in love with the '34. I'm a little bit leary of towing something that long ... but everyone I talk to who owns one says it isn't a big deal.
My wife fell in love with the 34 because the layout was perfect, it had an appliance garage, AND because it had the Limited package with the beautiful wood.

When towing, the triple-axle is smoother and steadier than any tandem I've every towed. I've made some pretty tight turns forward and backing with it even though the tires slide sideways a little. It has 50% more axles, shocks, tires, AND brakes carrying not nearly that much more weight.

The 30, 31, and 34 are all large trailers and have to be treated as such. That often means doing eighteen wheeler turns... i.e. a right turn pretty much much takes two lanes... I straddle two with the turn signal on. I also sometimes do this with left turns since the rear swings opposite the turn and could hit a vehicle in an adjacent lane. Right turns are also better onto 2 lanes going your direction, but are doable onto only one if you're coming off two.

Where you don't want to try to turn right is in the middle of some little po-dunk town from one lane into another with traffic and a light pole or mailbox on the corner. In these situations, it's better to go straight down the road, and either find a place to make 3 consecutive left turns crossing your original path, or a place where you can turn around, come back and make a left turn.

I used to deliver RVs, up to 33' trailers, down through little two-lane highways and small towns. It's no big deal and you get used to it pretty quickly, and plan ahead as much as possible. Despite the shorter rig length, I found fivers worse because the trailer tracks more to the inside of the turn.

Quote:

So now, we are leaning toward the '34. I should add that we will be full timing for at least 2 years. Also, my tow vehicle will be a F-350 Crew Cab with a Powerstroke.

Can't wait .. we're getting anxious.
I am SO GLAD I went with the 34! The floorplan is perfect and the extra space with no compromises is invaluable. We would've regretted not financing a bit more to get it. I like a happy wife!

Our bone-stock 7.3L Powerstroke is perfect for pulling a 34'. With 3.73:1 gearing, at 58 mph, it's at the 1600 rpm torque peak in OverDrive. Down in Drive, with the torque converter locked and not generating heat, the 1600-2600 rpm power band is between 40 and 65 mph. Perfect!

Let me recommend 4WD. Even though the six tires float the heavy trailer pretty well on sod and sand, it tends to sink into the soil a little over time. The PSD can spin the rear tires even with limited slip trying to pull it out. With 4WD, there's a lot more traction, AND with 4WD LOW, the turbo is spooled up higher, making more torque. I also like 4-LOW for backing off-road, since the cooling fan on the engine is running faster, pulling more air through the radiator and tranny cooler.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-27-2003, 02:49 PM   #22
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thanks Moe!

I have read your posts in the past and find them most helpful.

Thanks again for the tips on right hand turns ... I think I will print that one out. When we finally get the trailer, I plan on taking it to a big empty parking lot and practice parking it.

And yes, 4WD is the way to go. I should also add that I am sold on the Hensley hitch.

We're almost there ...I'm retired and the wife retires in November.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Great information especially Mo, and Shari....but any body got anything on those north of the border mounties? any truth about those wiley wascals...norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've heard the same stories about Canada. But if they're lettin' Dodge Intrepids and Ford Windstars pull 34' Airstreams, they can't be that tough. Maybe you just need to get a Can-Am RV (London ON) license plate frame for your trailer tag.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
The wide-body SOMETIMES requires straddling both lanes in a construction zone with concrete barriers on both sides.
This will make you popular. Also there's a stretch on I-75 where it's one lane each way.
Skip J
Old 06-27-2003, 03:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Mo,

Ehh?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I hear a lot of that when I'm up there! LOL!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally posted by skipj
I was at a caravan going to the Statue of Liberty and was sitting with a group of folks who had shorter units who wondered why any couple needed a 34 footer. Thought was they must not get along with each other. Skip J
Sounds like a definite case of ...."Dinnette Envy" to me.