Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Ignorance and dumb luck

So my experience is I got bit by the bug. I knew what I wanted and was willing to travel and not willing to pay lots.

I bought it on ebay. I did travel about 1800 miles for my trailer. Got the year and model I wanted. It wasn't perfect. It had some floor rot, split pipes and the A/C didn't work. However I didn't pay the perfect price and the seller was very up front with the condition. The kicker was that I towed back home the 1800 miles with little to no work on it and the trailer did well going home.

I also found out the seller (a farmer in Indiana) buys and resells A/S on a frequent basis. So he does not want a bad rep, cause it would bite him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
And I repeated the experience with the '66 Merc listsed below. I found it in Ohio.

Next time I hope to find what I want closer to home.

>>>>>>>>Actin
Old 11-20-2003, 07:41 PM   #23
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Painting with a broad brush

I want to believe that most Airstream owners are honest and decent folks. There are of course unscrupulous people who will take advantage of others in the AS market or anywhere else.
I think the key belongs to the buyer and it is his/her responsibility to be an educated buyer. The tools are all here.
I have been party to the sale of 5 AS trailers. None were misrepresented. There is no need to fabricate or embellish the condition of a vintage AS. If you get taken, who is to blame?
Caveat emptor in buying a used AS or anything else.
If you arm yourself properly with the right info and know the right questions to ask, how can you lose?
C'mon now, who has lost money in buying a used AS and who is to blame?
I keep my eyes open locally for good buys and I take time to research the value. I sleep well at night knowing the AS's I have sold were exactly as I advertised. One even went to France.
Vintage Airstreams are my hobby and my passion.
Beware the guy/gal who just wants to make some fast money.
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote