Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Oh and by the way,...want to say thanks again everyone for the comments,...super helpful!! Keep em coming!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihoff View Post
Just checking in to see what has come in to the forum,...and so far so good,...keep it coming!!

The AS trailer we are looking at is about $40,000 used,...this is quite the investment!! We just recently went on a vacation to Europe with our 11 monther and it was great but it was quite a burden logistically to take care of jet lag, diapers, feeds, and in the meantime sqeeze in the sights. One of the things we were thinking of after this trip was possibly buying a cabin in the mountains and using that as a future vacation / weekend destination,....costly, huge maintenance issues, do we want to go to the same place every other weekend?? The other thing we also thought of to mitigate some of the cabin negatives was the possibility of getting a trailer and using that for future vacation destinations. I want the trailer,...i think its super cool and it would be a neat experience to wake up in the morning and look out of those wrap around windows at a postcard forest or the ocean and have the rain pitter pattering on the roof,...top a great day off with a game of scrabble with some tunes playing through the speakers with my wife. Then we start thinking that $40k will buy a lot of nights in fancy hotel rooms or a huge deluxe rain tarp and the best lantern ever made to make our camping experience that much more comfortable.

Lets keep the forum going,...I want to want the trailer,...help me justify buying a $40k trailer at this point in my life!!
All valid points. Check out the classifieds. There are a lot of nice used Airstreams for a lot less than $40K.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Lets keep the forum going,...I want to want the trailer,...help me justify buying a $40k trailer at this point in my life!!
I agree, shop around - there are lots of options out there for late model Airstreams for about half that amount! Many more options and potential for savings if you go vintage...

The thing with a cabin is you feel like you have to go to the same place every other weekend. Besides it's probably going to cost more than the $40K and then you have a second home to maintain ~ who wants to that on vacation?! With an Airstream, you have your home on wheels and can take it where ever you want and it's much easier to maintain.

If you just gotta have something to tinker with get an unrestored vintage trailer to work on every other weekend...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Besides it's probably going to cost more than the $40K and then you have a second home to maintain ~ who wants to that on vacation?! With an Airstream, you have your home on wheels and can take it where ever you want and it's much easier to maintain.
Yabbut,

the onliest flaw in that argyment is that with time, the property will grow in value.

The AS on the other hand...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Because one should never have any regrets in life and once you buy one you will have regrets. Your regret will be that you did not do it sooner. Minimize the level of regret you are going to have to deal with now.

Best money I have ever spent in my life. I know that 100%. My Airstream has changed my life entirely for the better.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Rivet tow vehicle?

Do you have one? If you do not have a suitable vehicle, this is an added expense to consider. If you DO have to purchase a TV, best to wait until you have decided on which (if any) Airstream (or SOB), so you have suitable companions for the journey!

In the classifieds there are at least two bunkbed models for sale, which is a great style for a growing family long term:

2005 30' Safari Bunk - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale $37k

2005 SAFARI Bunkhouse - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale $45K

But, you can get a great, gently used Airstream for WAY less than $40k! And remember, there are members of this forum who offer their knowlege and are willing to check out a unit in their area

FYI, IF you are financing, an Airstream qualifies as a second home deduction in the US, at least up 'till now (not sure about Canada, please check with your cpa to be sure), since it is equipped with a kitchen and a bathroom. We should have saved and paid cash, but we were impulsive! Good on you for doing your research!

We were considering renting an apartment near all our friends in the greater Philly area, as we were travelling down there once a month after our move. But we also wanted a condo by the sea and one in the mountains. Our cabin on wheels means we can have it all for a lot less money, and go where we want when we want! This is NOT regular old camping - BTDT - gave that up when DS was a baby, for me it was WAY too much work, switched to renting KOA type cabins. No more soggy tents, preparing food in the rain, going nutty stuck in tent for extended periods of time during inclement weather, yay! But the Airstream is WAY better!

My son calls it "cabining", I call it wonderful! We have a front bedroom model, which means that when we back into our space, we back up to our view! So far we have always preferred the view over our dinette to the one out the bedroom front window

Since we store ours at home, getting ready for a trip is so easy - carry out clothes, carry out food items, make sure clean linens get back out there after a trip, load a few other necessities into the truck, hook up and GO!

I do have the AS fully stocked with disposable dishes, etc. I am into recycling, conserving, all that fun stuff. But a)we are often boondocking and need to conserve our water and b)it's MY vacation too! I even prep/cook a lot of the food before leaving so I don't have to do it on the trip.

I do most of the towing, set up, break down, etc. We often camp mid-week within driving distance of DH's work, and he commutes to and from the site. Works really well for us most of the time

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Cool High end purchase

The AS trailer we are looking at is about $40,000 used,...this is quite the investment!! I want the trailer,...i think its super cool and it would be a neat experience to wake up in the morning and look out of those wrap around windows at a postcard forest or the ocean and have the rain pitter pattering on the roof,...top a great day off with a game of scrabble with some tunes playing through the speakers with my wife.

Yikes a high end newer airstream for 40K.

There are a lot of restored airstreams for $10000 to $15000 and even if they missed something even another $1000 to $4000 won't break the bank. Plus when you get the itch to move up or change your gameplan you can easily sell the airstream, checkout classified and EBAY for some ideas.

Your idea of waking up looking out at the scenery is the right take especially if it's fall or winter and snowing while you are nestled comfortable in your heated airstream with hot shower, fridge, and comfy sleeping.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Lake Winnebago , Missouri
It's all up to you. Both my wife and I are 33 and our daughter is 2 1/2. The Airstream is the way to go. We look forward to getting to take her out on the weekends. We are going to make a trip up to Michigan this summer and it makes it so easy. No packing bags. Just put everyting in the Airstream and away you go.

If you are worried about a 40k investment maby you should look for a good used one. For around 10k you should be able to find a good one. They really don't look that different then the new ones. Put new axles and tires on it and it will roll like new with no worries. Try it for a while and the great thing is that if you find that you want to upgrade to a 40k unit you could get your money back out of it. I love our Airstream. We spent some time making it our own. No matter where we go someone always comes up and wants to talk about her.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Our story is much the same as others. Tent, VW Westphalia, and a couple of smaller trailers when the kids were young, then a hiatus when they got into their later teens.

We bought a 27' "Award" trailer when I took early retirement about twelve years ago and recently moved to a 30' Airstream.

You know, my first reaction to whether you should buy a $40k Airstream is that if you don't already know, perhaps you should not!

We went at it step by step over many years and had no doubt about the next step each time!

You speak of the $40k being quite an investment - I'm afraid it won't really be an investment. You might make money or at least get most of it back on an older restored airstream, but I have my doubts on a $40k newer one. We paid a little more than that for ours and I certainly expect to lose $$ when we sell it!

I'm not really sure other folks can tell you why you should do this - your reasons should be self-evident!

Also, I don't believe it will likely be more economical than other forms of vacations. I tried to do that analysis a few years ago when we sold our last trailer. Of course I had to make a lot of assumptions, but I tried to compare all costs, including depreciation, need to have a heavy tow vehicle, etc etc over the ten years we had owned it and basically felt it was awash compared to taking conventional hotel holidays each year. It is surprising ow expensive some RV parks are these days in comparison to fairly decent hotel room rates.

I think people buy trailers and motorhomes because they like the lifestyle, not so much to save money - at least that is what my analysyis seemed to indicate for us, using it maybe 8-10 weeks a year. The economics would be more favourable for RV's the more time you were away from home each year.

Good luck with your decision, let us know how it goes!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
PLEASE HELP US WITH FIGURING OUT WHY...
PLEASE HELP US WITH FIGURING OUT WHY?...
IF ya gotta ask and are YELLIN' about it...

well, mehbe ya don't needed no stinkin' stream...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-why-2799.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ands-5808.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-why-7045.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...why-38293.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ler-10751.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-16859.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-17171.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-21668.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-21411.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-24783.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-30822.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/why-buy-28207.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-36290.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-40067.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-38706.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...eam-48583.html

while some of those were sincere questions in threads started by regulars or legit buyers...

others are 1 time 1 thread posters who may just be priming the pump.

and my next 2 most favorite why...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...rum-25136.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

You can't rationalize this one, and I'm sure not going to try to convince you either way, but once you come down with aluminitis, you will realize it's not about the money you pour into it, or any other detraction, its a lifestyle. By the way, vintage is the way to go, there's nothing like a thirteen panel 50's era AS, nothing! Check out my severe case of aluminitis: Member's Photos - Photo Gallery
Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Safety! That would be the reason I would choose to get a towable vs a tent.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
heresy

This might sound like heresy, but:

1) if you aren't yet sure you want it, don't ask someone else to tell you why you need it
2) think about it long and hard and make sure you fully understand what you are signing up for
3) while we have an airstream and really enjoy, sometimes we think about when we didn't have one and wish for simpler times
4) consider all options and their ramifications

----------
you can't do this with a tent
a) overnight at a walmart/cracker barrel
b) rain sucks
c) shower/toilet visit in the middle of the night
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We're a little older than you, but still in our 30s. To be honest, I'm really happy that we started out with our little $9000 used T@B teardrop. We used it and found out we loved this type of camping (I have a closet full of tents.)

That experience allowed us (with little depreciation) to move forward on finding and restoring an older Argosy without worrying about if we really wanted it. We also weighed the vacation home vs. trailer issue and came down solidly on the side of "trailer."

I'll fully admit, a newer trailer sure would be nice (We'd love a newer front bedroom and/or center bath model - someday.) You'll probably want something bigger than either of our trailers with the baby. But I still wonder - as mentioned above - if you'd be better off starting with a solid used trailer for $10k-$15k before making the decision to go all in. Maybe a mid-80s to mid-90s 25' with a front wrap window...

Finally, there is a difference between loving the Airstream as an object - shiny inside and out, front wrap windows, etc. - and loving RVing. It's good to be sure that you love both before writing the check.

Just my $0.01...

Tom

Tags
travel trailer