Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #21
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
As beautiful and serene as beach camping is, it is also terrible for anything metal - the sand (obviously), is very salty. As guskmg mentioned, it is a must to rinse down the trailer, TV & undercarriages on your way out. Even then, you won't get it all.

Having lived in Corpus (as a young saiilor) and Rockport (just a few years ago), for six-seven years total, I can tell you from experience and observation, the damage the salt air and beach excursions can do to you vehicles.

Beach camping is an must-have experience but don't make a habit of it!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #22
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Time for some Humor

I have been to beaches around the world and only camped on the beach at the wonderful Ocean Lakes RV Park in Myrtle Beach, SC. Last year for Region 3 Rally and this year to bring two grandchildren to a fun location. Questions: 1. Those waves are real noisy, particularly if the windows are left open! 2. How to live without barking dogs? 3. Now that I think about it, I would miss the goofy guy who runs a stinky, noisy generator one site away from my site despite FHU's? 4. Please don't tell me those birds are quiet! Who can get a quality nap when those noisemakers are flying? 5. Who gets to vacuum sweep the floor of the AS EVERY day as the sand is brought in on shoes, sandals, swimsuits, etc.? After all these considerations, I guess the lonely beach is a real adjustment of my expectations!?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Awesome! Flyover how cool !!! Congratulations on your Retirement and Airstream. Enjoy your great adventure. Hope to see you on the road safe travels .
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
The Dream

Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Richardson , TX
Wish I'd seen this sooner, was just down there visiting friends that live right near PINS.

Would've told you to hit up Padre Island Burger Co, Rock and Rolls Sushi and you HAVE to get the smoked redfish dip at The Black Marlin in Port A. The seared scallops were B.A. as well.

Safe travels!!!
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Dateline: March 27th 2019, 7:15AM

We had towed the (light) AS for 4 miles on the North Padre Island (TX) beach with my 4x4 TV.

Spent 7 mostly sunny days boondocking (or in this case glamping) in nature, with at least 6 species of birds surrounding us, including pelicans who would fly every morning in perfect fighter pilot formation along the beach at 25-30 feet above ground; for some reason they would always stop beating their wings and glide as they passed over our shining AS (you almost felt the urge to salute!).

Had to hitch up and leave on the 7th day since a storm the night before (we were perfectly comfy in our "earth capsule") was pushing the tide waves a little too close for comfort.

This was our first long (65 days, 8000 miles) trip (newly retired) and we are super happy with our rig. Happy and safe travels and have a great summer!
photomike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomike72 View Post
Wish I'd seen this sooner, was just down there visiting friends that live right near PINS.

Would've told you to hit up Padre Island Burger Co, Rock and Rolls Sushi and you HAVE to get the smoked redfish dip at The Black Marlin in Port A. The seared scallops were B.A. as well.

Safe travels!!!
Mike
Texas rocks!Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1510440290314.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	339003
PaulG_4307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Photo contest my hat...you should send these to Airstream for use in their brochures. The trip and the location look great. We leave for Galveston Island SP this month and will be on the beach but not without water/electricity. Congrats on making Padre Island.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #28

Athens , Alabama
Bolivar Flats

Same thing happened to me. Were u at Bolivar Flats? How will you get the sand out of cracks, etc?
cindyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyboat View Post
Same thing happened to me. Were u at Bolivar Flats? How will you get the sand out of cracks, etc?
The beach is in the Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) park. There is a visitors center and two campsites, one by the visitors center, overlooking but not directly on the beach, and the other a few miles back (North) on the western side of the island, on the lagoon, a popular site with kite surfers.

About a mile past the visitors center, the paved road ends and if you don’t turn right onto the beach, you will get pretty wet driving staight into the Gulf! Park rangers are seen driving their pickups at least once per day on the beach.

As for “sand and salt management”, for the exterior I pressure rinse the rig, even when boondocking (see previous post in thread). For the interior, the floors are covered with soft weaved textile floor runners for which it is easy to shake off any sand. By the door steps we have a dishpan with water, so before going up the steps, feet rinsing is mandatory (and the obvious removal of footwear). For any further sand removal, broom, dustpan and a Dyson hand vacuum do the job. If the wind picks up, windows are kept closed, even on the down wind side of the trailer. This is less of an issue with roof vents which can remain open.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote