Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Answer to OP: $$$$$$
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
My first Airstream, an 07 AI, came with outside speakers with one of the option package. I told the dealer to keep them as they would never get used.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingsland , Texas
Loud music

I found the only way is fight fire with fire. Keep a bull horn in your trailer and point it out the window at them. Make a tape of a barking dog and play it at them for about 8 hours
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Hey I’m older than you. If the neighbor’s playing ZZ Top, I’ll ask ‘em to turn it up😜
Yep “LaGrange” especially. Or like the Cooder Graw song says, “we live in a “Loud Country””.and I’m going to make it as loud as I can.”
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
Hey I’m older than you. If the neighbor’s playing ZZ Top, I’ll ask ‘em to turn it up😜
Yep “LaGrange” especially. Or like the Cooder Graw song says, “we live in a “Loud Country””.and I’m going to make it as loud as I can.”
Hey you only live once and I don’t want it to be boring.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #26

2017 22' Sport
Chula Vista , California
I think campgrounds don’t prohibit amplified music for the same reason they don’t prohibit dogs, children playing, or campfires. One person’s pleasure is often the source of another's annoyance.

I support personal liberty (even when others do things that annoy me) over a bunch of rules designed to please the most sensitive.
bvanderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
( I hope you appreciate that I don't practice me bagpipes at 6:30 AM).
You know the old saying "Don't get mad; get even." Grab your pipes and serenade them with this at 0600.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...2F0F&FORM=VIRE

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

I am one who plays music right outside my door. I always try to keep the volume at a level that you can hear it within about 15 feet of the door, but not past that.

Campgrounds by their very nature are tight spaces, and I am of the thought that we all know that when we enter them so I accept the fact that I’m going to be in close proximity to my neighbors as well as their habits. There are some cardinal rules that we tried to follow. The biggest being don’t allow our experience to infringe on those of our neighbors. This ranges from the music level, to our lighting and to where we park our cars. I too have run into neighbors who inquire about things such our AC, “wondering if it’s broken since it’s so loud”. I try to be fair in both what I expect and how I behave. I find almost everyone follows a similar approach.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have learned the hard way first rule is NEVER GO TO A STATE PARK ON THE WEEKEND. Second rule is NEVER EVER GO TO A STATE PARK ON A THREE DAY WEEKEND. I have found the Corps of Engineers Campgrounds to be much better. If you must go to a state park go during the week otherwise expect a zoo and loud music. I really hate the new trend of outdoor surround sound systems.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
I’m with mandolindave, especially the hat thing. I like all music (rap isn’t music) but be respectful.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You have two ears for what?

Don't you just hate it when others are having a lot of fun and you are tightening screws and repairing your trailer having to listen to all of this stuff. Even whispering cannot be tolerated, as the neighbors could be gossiping about you.

I was camped in the forest in Central New Mexico and thought I was in an area that was undiscovered. By old people, that is. I was wandering around the camp site and could not get away from the late 1950's to late 1970's ballads and nostalgic tunes that were loud even in their... time, blistering my ears.

Even some real WESTERN music if some of you still have memories.

It was frustrating that I could not find the source of all of this 'old fart music' ruining our experience in the Forests.

No cell service to complain to the Forest Service. Although a cell phone ringing during a theatre is a solution that could be solved by the Forest Service.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was my wife. I had to take my 'ear buds out of my ears'. What's up... honey? I asked.

She wanted to know why I was outside without any pants.

You just cannot please old people. They cannot find their pants, nor realize that quiet is not to be found in Mother Nature. We have two ears for a good reason, which at the moment cannot be recalled.

Take a couple of ear plugs, shove them into the ear that is being deprived of silence and live a few extra years.

Our solution. Set up camp so far into the Boondocks that I can wander around without my pants and no one can complain that my 'ear buds' are too loud.

Do not get caught 'thinking out load' either. That is an obvious, no no.

If you take this all too seriously. You are obviously too old to understand. Seventy years wasted complaining is not good for you. In my case, complaining is a hobby so not wasted time.

Had you been deaf anything would be a blessing. A set of US Army issue ear plugs have worked well for me since 1969. Still do. Never get into an argument at the dinner table.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

I should instead just come right out and say it.

I think that just maybe, some people haven't realized that they don't like campgrounds. I don't.

I'm sure there are some nice ones. But some are like parking lots.

For some Airstream enthusiasts, just being in their camper is enough. My trailer isn't my hobby. It's a warm, dry, safe place to sleep while I'm doing my hobbies.

The other thing is that camping alone in the sticks can get lonely. You might end up missing the crowds.

Besides camping at Bluegrass festivals, I go to 4 or 5 camping parties at peoples houses. The crowd noise, music, laughter, and generators, don't bother us. We sleep fine when we want to.

The moral of the story.....Campgrounds aren't quiet.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I was interested to hear comments on both sides of this. I will say that personally the folks who enjoy playing music at modest volumes and who have commented against any restriction on amplified music (other than the time honored 9-10 pm to morning silent time) are likely folks I would be pleased to have as neighbors.

What actually set me off was a campground review I saw from a young lady who was trying to enjoy her first RV experience and there were folks playing loud rap music with swear words and more in what was basically a supposedly family friendly campground. Not a cheap place either, this was a high end $125/night place. In rereading, I would bet the campground attendants were simply afraid to confront the group with the loud music, and we can hardly blame the young lady from not wanting to ask them to turn down the music.

So, my premise was that if we can't really do much to dictate what type of music people listen too, then by my logic left the only option open to simply prohibit all amplified music.

I have always been torn between freedom and HOA type restrictions. It just seems that often there are idiots who will abuse freedom and ruin it for everyone else. One of my favorite National Forest shooting ranges was finally shut down because irresponsible folks kept hauling in old refrigerators, televisions, etc leaving then onsite, and not picking up their spent ammo. I personally hauled away pickup and dump trailer loads of crap, but hardly put a dent in it.

P.S. At any rate I love being retired, traveling, and enjoying camping, so I am not really the complainer (honest) that I probably sound like on this thread !
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Hey you only live once and I don’t want it to be boring.
“Haow, Haow, Haow, Haow....”
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Loud Country Living and don't want it to be boring:

-Motorcycle (or quad or snowmobile) racing-yes!
-Competitive shooting-yes!
-Auto racing-yes!
-Rodeo-yes-!
-Playing a musical instrument, amplified or otherwise-yes!
-Live Theatre- yes!

-Getting drunk and playing amplified music loud enough to annoy your neighbors - Lame and Sad!

Over and out
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #36
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
And yet there are threads on here about installing outside speakers!

And TV mounts.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
A funny thing happened to us at a Provincial Park one Long Weekend.
A campsite 2 away from ours had some fairly loud music happening for quite a while. All I could see were a couple of teenagers seemingly enjoying the sounds. When we had finally had enough I asked them politely if they could turn the music down a notch or two. The music was loud enough that I had to say it again only louder
The third time,they finally heard me and I saw one of them turn and look behind the tent and say
Dad, can you turn your music down!
Had to laugh
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
An old story. New campers got one of the prime creekside spots. Everything was great. At about 2 in the morning the cg manager was asked if he could turn the creek off now, it was too noisy. At .
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:33 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
We have a Bluetooth outdoor speaker we use when camping. The trailers are 20’ apart. I can hear my neighbor fart so I assume my guitar (which isn’t amplified) and an occasional beer belch are OK. I don’t care much for kids but they are usually louder than all the above. It’s all good.

Never had a problem.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson View Post
I’m with mandolindave, especially the hat thing. I like all music (rap isn’t music) but be respectful.
I'd like to add to the ban list:
1. Fire. I hate smelling like smoke.
2. Dogs. (Except mine)
3. Children. Too noisy.
4. Grumpy old people.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote