Old 06-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

The human condition is that many people like things "their way", not only for themselves, but for others to do things "their way", and if other people don't comply, the response is to badger, complain, litigate, and legislate to see that "their way" is codified as enforceable.

Live and let live and cordial respect has been replaced with selectively enforced but rigid and emotionless policy.

It's actually ugly, and a very slippery slope.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #100
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Auburn , California
In CA State Parks there is a rule “Quiet Hours” 10p to 8a. At 10p all electronics must be turned off. Generators are shut off at 8p, including those on RV’s.
Concerning amplified music; in general it is allowed (Campgrounds and day use areas) only through a portable radio and may not be so loud as to disrupt others.

Advise for anyone visiting a California State Park: if you are being disturbed by anything man made go to the kiosk and explain the situation. That park employee will call a ranger. Unless you see a star shaped badge on their shirt they are not LE and do not have the authority to enforce the rules, only LE rangers can do that.
It is very common for the ranger staff to ‘put the campground to bed’ every night during the summer.

rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #101
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
It may be true that in some parks rangers without a star-shaped badge can't write tickets, but they *always* have a radio and would only be too happy to call the LE ranger down upon your head should you decide to "take their advice under consideration" instead of honoring their request. In that situation, as a Volunteer In Parks for the National Park Service, I can tell you that heck hath no fury like an LE ranger enforcing something another ranger has called in to them, especially if that individual has clearly decided to disregard the direct request of another non-LE ranger.

So, if a ranger without a star asks you to turn it down, you'd best follow their advice.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #102
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Being an apartment dweller all my adult life, forty-one years and counting, the basic rule is "If it's loud enough for the neighbors to hear, then they're automatically invited to attend." I firmly believe that campgrounds work the same way.

In fact, there was one case where I wandered over to the campsite where the loud obnoxious music was coming from, pulled up one of their lawn chairs, grabbed a beer from their cooler, and waited for the inevitable "Who the heck are you?" Then I explained the rule, that by cranking the music up, they basically invited everyone within earshot to join them. They turned the music down pretty quickly after that!
Old 06-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Being an apartment dweller all my adult life, forty-one years and counting, the basic rule is "If it's loud enough for the neighbors to hear, then they're automatically invited to attend." I firmly believe that campgrounds work the same way.

In fact, there was one case where I wandered over to the campsite where the loud obnoxious music was coming from, pulled up one of their lawn chairs, grabbed a beer from their cooler, and waited for the inevitable "Who the heck are you?" Then I explained the rule, that by cranking the music up, they basically invited everyone within earshot to join them. They turned the music down pretty quickly after that!

I like that a lot.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #104

Olive Branch , Mississippi
Years ago my wife and I were tent camping in a state park in Tennessee. About 10 pm a caravan of boy scouts showed up and the noise kept us up well past midnight. The sad thing is that it was mostly the adults doing the yelling and making the racket.
swillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #105
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Buy the campground..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Buy the campground..

Hey Channing!

I said something like that when I was much younger and caused a huge controversy, and no,, I didn't learn a thing from the experience....

Old 06-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
...snip...

Classic! If you had done that at my sight I’d have offered you a few more and hoped to have a good chat about life and camping!

Brilliant!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #108
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey Brother!!!
Wise beyond your years my friend... there are too many windmills and I have the matches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Hey Channing!

I said something like that when I was much younger and caused a huge controversy, and no,, I didn't learn a thing from the experience....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
No one complains about my Gregorian chant. Maybe they think they are parked next to the Pope.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
[QUOTE=Fly at Night;2263354]No one complains about my Gregorian chant. Maybe they think they are parked next to the Pope.

Crank it up. I'll bring over some wine. We can bluetooth link our systems so everyone can enjoy. What? This is the music appreciation thread, right?

-Dennis
batman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Why Don't Campgrounds Prohibit Amplified Music ?

I use active ECM to quiet a campground if need be.

A full gallon** on 40 meters usually makes for peace and quiet in the aftermath. And I can be heard around the planet with that—legally.

** that’s Hamspeak for 1.5 Kilowatts PEP of RF energy. Cheap hardware tends to make weird noises and possibly leak smoke if they are the least bit vulnerable.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
[QUOTE=batman;2263406]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
No one complains about my Gregorian chant. Maybe they think they are parked next to the Pope.

Crank it up. I'll bring over some wine. We can bluetooth link our systems so everyone can enjoy. What? This is the music appreciation thread, right?

-Dennis
Cool. I'll bring the communion wafers.