Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Close to my favorite swimming hole

Boondocking allows me to access my favorite swimming hole. It is peaceful and refreshing. I have the place all to myself.

Check out this site to find a nice spot for yourself. Add any that you want to see listed.

http://swimmingholes.org/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch Ness 1small.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	13638  
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
We like to camp in National Forest, State Forest, and National Park campgrounds. Most of these have no hookups... so I assume they qualify as boondocking. The scenery is incredible, the campgrounds are usually wooded/shaded, it is quiet, the sites are large, and it just feels like camping (comfortable camping).

We do not like developed campgrounds because they often look awful, frequently have minimal shade, are noisy, crowded, and feel like a mobile home park. I can't imagine having one of those $250,000+ motorhomes parked in a crummy KOA! I'd rather stay home.

Many Forest Service and State/National Park campgrounds have a length limit, often 25-30 feet. Our 25 foot Safari is a perfect size. Park, unhitch, and explore.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
rseagle ... look out for that fish...
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
rseagle ... look out for that fish...
The image file is called "Loch Ness Monster"
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
why did it take the picture?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 07-29-2005, 06:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
why did it take the picture?
I think my daughter took it.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 07-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
pst....the picture is going to sell better on eBay if you tell everyone that the "Loch Ness Monster" took the picture. Don't worry. The truth of your daughter taking is safe with me. No one will be the wiser.

Remember....Nessy took it.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The best thing about boondocking

is the neighborhood. Where I am, does not define who I am. Friends met on the road often give you the opportunity to travel in a different direction.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
The views

A picture is worth a thousand words...these views are only a few of the reasons why we boondock (but, we also live it up with full hookups!)

Life is short, might as well live in luxury while we can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Molas_View.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	13671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molas_Lake_Sunset.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	13672  

Name:	AS_Molas.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	13673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molas_Lake.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	13674  

Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #30
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Why you like Boondocking

I don't

But, it does give you the flexibility to go to those out of the way places where at times you can find solitude, and beauty.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Boondocking allows me to access my favorite swimming hole. It is peaceful and refreshing. I have the place all to myself.
Where the heck is that place...it looks great!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
My Avatar shows my favorite boondocking spot as of yet. Unmolested beachfront camping right at the Sea of Cortez.
To me and my wife, that's boondocking at it's finest.
We have made special provisions in the planning and restoration of the 1963 Overlander to increase our water, waste, battery and fridge capacity for just this reason.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Boondocking

Boondocking makes deer hunting a dream. After years of primitive camping in leantos and teepees from Tennessee to Montana, our hunting is now quite comfortable. We don't need an air conditioner that time of year and all other systems work fine on 12 volt or gas. Comfortable beds, showers, nice kitchen... even though the Safari is 34 years old. Plus, no other campers for miles. We have camped for four or five days without draining the batteries.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #34
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
UWE,

Say, Is your TT permanently down in Baja or do you take it across each time you visit. If you do take it across, what kind of hassles (if any) do you have to go through both coming and going?

I hear the horror stories of people (just in cars), complaining about how long it takes getting back to US not to mention Customs wanting to tear apart some TT's.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #35
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
UWE,

Say, Is your TT permanently down in Baja or do you take it across each time you visit. If you do take it across, what kind of hassles (if any) do you have to go through both coming and going?

I hear the horror stories of people (just in cars), complaining about how long it takes getting back to US not to mention Customs wanting to tear apart some TT's.

R/
Safari-Rick
Rick,

We go in and out, not leaving the trailer there.
Going in is pretty easy. We use the border crossing at Calexico, since this is the closest to San Felipe, where we boondock in the late fall, winter and early spring sometimes.
Driving there is very easy, especially once you're out of Mexicali, heading south through the desert. We take our time, pull over for faster traffic, and pay attention to our surroundings.
Going back is a bit of a hassle, but I must say that it has never been a problem for us. US customs will make you open your trailer, send a drug sniffing puppy through it, and confiscate your fruits, vegetables, eggs, Meats, etc. They will also confiscate your stash of illegal drugs and weapons, if you carry such items.
If you pick a Sunday afternoon for your return trip, then you can expect long lines and brutal heat while in line. The longest line we have experienced was about 75 min, the shortest about 10min. The customs ordeal can take up to 25min, depending on who's working it.
Very little changed from pre911 to post911,btw.
The people with the horror stories are often ( not always) spoiled mass consumers of the want it now, can't wait, park up front variety. Of course there's a procedure to enter our country, yes, there's a wait, and yes, RV's have been torn apart for searches. The dogs are usually right on!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
mexico

We have a 1985 345 classic and have taken it down to San Felipe several times. The last trip the alternator sheared a bolt and we lost all our belts 20 miles north of San Felipe. Our cell phone would not get out the federales stopped by to help and let us use their cell phone to call the campground we were going to, they sent a mechanic out and we were on the road in 2 hours. Never had a problem with the border crossing at Calexico, we go to the II crossing--the lines are shorter, searches have all been brief. The trip is best done during daylight--much easier drive.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Each year in the fall, we attend a special function way up north in New Hampshire.... The Great Northeast Poodle Party and Homecoming. This is three to four days of intense people and poodle activities! I got tired of having to schlep back and forth from the nearest motel, and always felt like I was missing out on some things!
Since we bought the Airstream, I no longer feel that way! We boondock in the back bowl shaped meadow overlooking a sizeable pond and bordered by apple grove. Now we miss out on nothing! And during breaks, we're close enough to our quarters to slip off for a nap, take a quiet moment, or grab a sandwich. We find we are entertaining a lot, too! always someone dropping in for a visit, a cold drink, or just to check out our unit! Over time, our stays have extended... we're up to eight days now! It's great! No amenities, no fuss, we can come and go as we please! The dogs can romp on our friend's eighty acres... and the best thing is..... even our cell phones don't work here! If you can wait for pictures, I'll make sure we get some shots of our Airstream surrounded by hoards of wild poodles! LOL!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Counting down the days until we leave for Colebrook!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #38
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
We have a 1985 345 classic and have taken it down to San Felipe several times. The last trip the alternator sheared a bolt and we lost all our belts 20 miles north of San Felipe. Our cell phone would not get out the federales stopped by to help and let us use their cell phone to call the campground we were going to, they sent a mechanic out and we were on the road in 2 hours. Never had a problem with the border crossing at Calexico, we go to the II crossing--the lines are shorter, searches have all been brief. The trip is best done during daylight--much easier drive.
Which campground in San Felipe do you go to? Does it have hookups and is it by the water? Always interested in options...
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

A bunch of us get together in someones field. It's an easy way to enable
us to camp together as a group ( but no hook ups ). Sometimes I boondock
so I can be with a bunch of friends, but sometimes I boondock to get away from people. It's very satisfying to be alone and self sufficient for a while.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks again, everybody!! The article was just

published in the Winter 2006 issue of Airstream Life. Thanks again to those who contributed statements and pics for the article. For those who didn't make it in the finished piece, your contributions helped shape the article and its overall direction.

Thanks again,
Michael S. Smith

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote