Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
My wife liked tent camping, from her earlier years, me not so much. But it turns out we both love glamping in the Airstream for the same reasons others have mentioned, all our own stuff and on wheels. And we prefer our own schedule, usually without reservations, and of course no hurry or plane to catch.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I grew up spending every summer from about 9yrs of age to 16yrs of age camping with my grandfather. From the end of school to about two weeks before the start of school in Sept.

It was a lot of fun, and my grandfather developed a love of the outdoors in me. Well, my wife and I both love to travel, and about two years ago on a road trip, we had the realization that we felt more at home in our car on the road, than we did in our home in Florida.

So that lead to this camping lifestyle of ours.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I like landscape, and I like people-watching. Camping allows me to do both -- enjoy areas of the country I wouldn't ordinarily see, and see families enjoying themselves in the campgrounds. I'm one of the old folks now, and I live in a retirement community where there are very few children. Campgrounds are loaded with kids playing the way I played as a child -- riding bicycles and scooters, fishing, throwing rocks, playing hide and seek, chasing each other, yelling and screaming -- all the things I did at their age and miss doing. Kids outside of the campgrounds mostly seem to be sedentary, their heads buried in their phones, iPads and other electronic devices. That's not a normal childhood-upbringing to me. Campgrounds remind me of the 1950's.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
...... let me think for a minute ......

...... well ......

...... mainly ......

...... pretty much comes down to ......

...... just because .....

..... absolutely .....

..... just because ......

..... and besides ......

..... is there anything else?? .....

..... there ......

..... think that covers it ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Why

To have a place to go without the Government watching you.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The house is in a typical Arizona subdivision where the view out any window is about ten to fifteen fees to the fence/wall. There is virtually no interaction with the neighbors.

We love the comfort of our Airstream home on wheels that lets go places and explore as long as we want on a variable schedule. We can socialize if we wish, cook on the grill or inside stove when it rains. It's warm when the temperatures drop outside. No shovel is needed for necessary body functions.

We have met really nice folks in the local Airstream group and when out on our own. We are learning how to select those more spacious non-sardine can camping places (KOA is a sardine can to us).

We always are looking forward to our next Airstream adventure.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Independence. Exploration. Regeneration. Solitude. Nature. Escape. Fun.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
It resurrects the primal instinct.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Why we camp: to get close to Nature.
Why we camp in an Airstream: to not get too close to Nature.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It is fun and life is to short not to have fun.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
When my husband brings our Airstream home to prepare for an upcoming trip, I can feel everything in my body change! I get a big smile on my face and the stress seems to melt away! When we camp, I still do a lot of work on the road, but the scenery is so much better!! I am a Realtor, so I can do everything but actually show the property. My poor mama died before she was ever able to enjoy her retirement and I made a decision right then that I was going to enjoy every second of my life and we hit the road as often as possible! Our airstream is so comfy and we can wake up with no alarm clocks, drink the coffee we love from the coffee pot we love, we have everything we need to enjoy ourselves thoroughly! At night time, our cocktails are there and we can make them just the way we like them! We love to travel and enjoy the road less traveled. Love nature and enjoy making new friends. We love everything about camping - but especially camping in our Airstream!!! It's the best!!

Laura & Tom
Old 08-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
We bought ours to visit family and friends we made in my 30 year military career. It also beats paying for expensive hotel rooms. My wife and I want to get away and be alone with our 4 dogs.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440363836.244533.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	246150
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I met a lady 6 years ago that camped. Now almost 6 years later I know why. Mostly because of all the great parks available. To look out the window or set under the awning a see the beauty around you. Also as a retired person I am getting to like the challenge of keeping all the equipment working well. I like the setting up the camp the way I want it. I do not like some of the challenges of hotels and especially air travel.

Some how I have grown to love camping.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
To avoid a hotel bed where have been before me!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Mobile , Alabama
I'm new to all this - and I have NEVER camped before, but I wanted to share why I am going to be an Airstream "Camper" in three weeks - And I know I'm going to LOVE it! This fall, both of my children are members of the Auburn University Marching Band. When our daughter was in the band last year, we trekked the 4 hours to AU every home game Saturday. After the game, when she was finally free, our daughter wanted to visit and be fed. That meant either a hotel room or driving home in the middle of the night. We saw all these families gathered around tents, cars, motor homes, and trailers - all enjoying the whole "game day" experience. (Not waiting in line at restaurants or stuck in post game traffic) So this year, we decided to join the party. Look for us out there in our little silver Airstream. It's a 1964 Overlander that's in pretty good shape for an old gal. We are eagerly anticipating these special weekends, as we make treasured memories with our kids and new friends in the AU family. And that's why we are gonna camp!
WeagleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
It's the only way to see America first hand and sleep in your own bed every night.

Brian
Absolutely! Wherever you go in this amazing and diverse country, you have your individually created "comforts of home." Nothing beats having your personally chosen mattress, sheets, & pillows when you lay your body down every night... wherever you happen to be. I would take RVing over hoteling any time, if possible.

To me, though, Airstreaming is not "camping". It is RVing. That includes boon docking. But that just depends on whatever one's personal definition of "camping" is. Is.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Being a farmer,, rancher and live in RR America the work never ends.. Always a fence to fix,, a field to farm or sort a bucket of bolts at the shop.. Once the A$ is pinned up and even if we only travel 30 miles we are away from our job..

Just a few days away and watching the grand kids playing at the park,, or taking long walks with them is something never done while at work..
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
We like being outside & going to new places. The AS allows us to do this in the comfort of our own bed & on our own schedule. We can take our 2 dogs with us wherever we go. We can't wait until I retire so our trips can be longer & we can see more of our great country.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"...about ten to fifteen fees to the fence/wall."

That's why.

Seriously, I'd be happy staying on the road until shortly before it becomes necessary for me to hang up the keys. Jo Ann wants to quit somewhat sooner. Both of us want to see as much of the country as we can in order to:
1. see the country
2. find the best place for us to settle down
3. see as many of our friends and relatives as possible.

We're full-timers and enjoy having our home to come back to, wherever we happen to be. Today, for example, we went to church, had lunch, took a nap, then poked around Interstate State Park (WI side) for a couple of hours, then came back to the coach for supper. Tomorrow we're moving south a bit to a Corps of Engineers campground for a couple of days. While we're there we'll visit the Wisconsin State capitol and pick up some Wisconsin cheese.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is online now   Reply With Quote