Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Whose shower do you use?

when you're in a campground like a KOA? Do you use the one in your airstream, or use the public showers at the campground? We're new at this, and so far have been using the shower in the airstream. But then i think of all that moisture and condensation inside the trailer and wonder if it isn't worth the hassle to carry my stuff over to the campground facility.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If available and somewhat clean I usually use the campgrounds showers. The humidity has been so high this summer that I really do not like to use the shower in the trailer if I don't have to.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Six of one, half dozen of the other to us. Don't see any hassle with using campground shower if they are nice.

doug k
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just depends on # of people, AS hookup facilities and how many days staying put. We use AS particularly if it's just the two of us and 3 days. Longer and more people, we use a combo of campground and/or AS. You just need to figure out how well you conserve water and develop a feel for best use.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
One reason I wanted an airstream was so we had all the comforts of home, and that includes a shower that I can use comfortably. I have only used the campground shower once in the year we have our FC, and that was at a "10" rated park. If you run the fans and hang a damprid bag, it does get the moisture out. And you can run the heat pump for a bit to clear out any condensation. (that has only happened in the winter months here in California)

and away we go.......
pidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We never use the campground shower. We always use the shower in Lucy. We now have 1,150 nights in Lucy, so we have used her shower a bunch, probably well over 2,000 showers. We always run the exhaust fan int he shower when using it. We have never had any moisture problem.

Last year, had a problem with Lucy's water heater and had to take a couple of showers in the campground facility. What a royal pain it was, having to haul all of our shower junk and clothes down to the shower, and haul it all back again. After doing this, I would now opt for quick, cold shower in Lucy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Campground. Never really comfortable in the shower. Feel like a contortionist sometimes. Using the campground shower saves on cleanup time.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I spent a couple of months in Santa Fe last summer and had to take a shower every morning before heading out, all pretty early in the morning. It was either waltzing across the park to take a shower, or taking the shower in the AS. It was a LOT more efficient and convenient to take the shower in the rig!

Lynn
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, Whoosch reminded me.....we find a quick squeegee after the last shower of the day really minimizes cleanup. I only really have to do a hard clean once a season. We're not tall people, so the AS shower is plenty big enough for us.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Depends

One of the first things I do after setting up camp is to wander over to the bath house to check out the showers. If they are acceptable, I prefer to use the campground facilities, as, at 6'1", the shower in the camper can be tight. That having been said, I can and will use my shower when needed.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs down There is no choice

I would not use a campground shower except in a dire emergency (like I was on fire). This is a decision arrived at by observation of fellow campers over 56 years, off and on, of RV experience. If given the choice, I would choose a lake known to be inhabited by alligators over any campground shower. At least you don't need extensive medical tests to figure out how to treat an alligator bite.

Ken
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
when you're in a campground like a KOA? Do you use the one in your airstream, or use the public showers at the campground? We're new at this, and so far have been using the shower in the airstream. But then i think of all that moisture and condensation inside the trailer and wonder if it isn't worth the hassle to carry my stuff over to the campground facility.
When I arrive at a campground, I'll check out the public facilities. If I'm satisfied with the location relative to my campsite, the cleanliness, and the privacy, then I'll use the public facilities for the duration of my stay. Especially when there's only a dump station and no sewer hookup for my campsite.

I have a collapsible washbasin that I use to carry my toiletries to the public shower, that I also use when washing dishes since my Airstream Interstate only has a single small galley sink. For public showers I have a pair of neoprene dinghy booties from West Marine that I can wear in place of flip-flops which my podiatrist won't let me wear since the onset of diabetic neuropathy in my feet.

When I shower in the Airstream, the duration of the shower is as short as possible, by means of wetting down with a big sponge, soaping up with the sponge as well, and only using the shower head to rinse off. Being bald, I don't have to worry about washing hair, and that helps. A very short hot shower doesn't put much condensation into the Airstream compared to a long hot shower.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Oh, Whoosch reminded me.....we find a quick squeegee after the last shower of the day really minimizes cleanup. I only really have to do a hard clean once a season. We're not tall people, so the AS shower is plenty big enough for us.
Another thing that helps is, wax your shower stall, all but the floor. I got this idea from a book on living aboard sailboats, and it works so well in my Interstate that I use it at home, too.

An automotive spray wax (I use Turtle Wax Ice) is easiest. With the walls and ceiling waxed, moisture beads up and rolls right off, leaving the walls clean and dry. Do this at the start of your camping season, and it should last all season.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Camper. When we were in the B190 I almost always used the campground shower; the camper's shower was just too small to be comfortable. The only exceptions were times when we were camping somewhere without showers (rallies in a field) or one time when the campground showers were so bad that the B190's was better.

Now that we have the trailer, we love using the shower in it. I imagine wanting to use the campground shower in only one instance: If you do not have a graywater hookup, taking showers at the campground shower will save some room in the gray tank. Still, we can easily go a weekend without filling it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote