Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We like the quick in-and-out. Water & electric seems luxe to us!

70+ % - Bring your flip-flops. The campgrounds' shower is just fine. We just seem not to end up with sewer at the site. These generally are not available at state or national parks that we prefer

20 % - The outside shower after dark (don't let the campground host catch you doing this!).

< 10 % - We'll use the inside shower last night before leaving the campground only if the gray tank isn't filling ups.

It's all personal style. None of these choices are right or wrong.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Many campers (especially older ones) do not have an outdoor shower. It's definitely not an option in ours...unless I wanted to hook up a hose and use cold water only...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, even my dog gets his bath in our trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, even my dog gets his bath in our trailer.
The last person who tried to bathe a cat in an Airstream is still in Intensive Care.

Ken

You know, that Icon looks exactly like Daisy. I think I should sue for royalties.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
The last person who tried to bathe a cat in an Airstream is still in ICU.

Ken
Hi, OMG, I can visualize the claw marks.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You don't bathe a cat in the shower, you put him in the toilet. Stand, do not sit, on the seat cover and let the water flow. Cleans both the bowl and the cat.

To get off the seat, just move over to the sink cabinet. The cat will open the toilet seat himself. That's why you don't sit on the seat cover; there's no way you could get up fast enough not to be damaged by the cat because he is so eager to run around outside. Leave outside door open and plan to stay several days at the campground until the cat returns.

This is not advised for very young kittens as they have a habit of falling into the black tank, though they will get it clean and may come out the drain. If they don't come out the drain, turn off the water and open the valve at the bottom of the bowl. Stand back and watch for projectile kitten.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We shower in our Airstream. Always.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Lets see. My wife is a doctor, so she is a germ freak. We have 4 alcohol germ bottles in the car! She has used public showers before the AS but with flip flops on. Now she always uses the AS. Me, I have a sun shower room outside and have Hung the sun shower in it for the kids and myself. Now I have a hose that hooks up to the AS with a shower head on it. It is tied into the hot and cold water. I get a nice hot shower without filling up the grey tanks out side with a view on the evening sky.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
You don't bathe a cat in the shower, you put him in the toilet. Stand, do not sit, on the seat cover and let the water flow. Cleans both the bowl and the cat.

To get off the seat, just move over to the sink cabinet. The cat will open the toilet seat himself. That's why you don't sit on the seat cover; there's no way you could get up fast enough not to be damaged by the cat because he is so eager to run around outside. Leave outside door open and plan to stay several days at the campground until the cat returns.

This is not advised for very young kittens as they have a habit of falling into the black tank, though they will get it clean and may come out the drain. If they don't come out the drain, turn off the water and open the valve at the bottom of the bowl. Stand back and watch for projectile kitten.

Gene
This also works with small children, 2 and under.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
I fully understand this system, except for the waiting around a couple of days for the cat. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
Campground. Never really comfortable in the shower. Feel like a contortionist sometimes. Using the campground shower saves on cleanup time.
Yep, us too, the shower makes a great storage room for the vacuum, Keurig coffee pot, wife's junk, etc. If we were forced to use it, we would, but we have not crossed that bridge yet. Most campground showers are so much larger and one can spread out.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
I fully understand this system, except for the waiting around a couple of days for the cat. Sal.
Children always come back in a few minutes. This is the one drawback

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We LOVE our Airstream shower and only use campground showers when necessary. We both are in the medical field as well, and fungal infections from someone else's feet just don't interest me in the least. Could be that we are both under 5'10" ...larger peeps might have less comfort than we do....
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
We LOVE our Airstream shower and only use campground showers when necessary. We both are in the medical field as well, and fungal infections from someone else's feet just don't interest me in the least. Could be that we are both under 5'10" ...larger peeps might have less comfort than we do....
I copied these numbers from a statistical data web site.

Men's Average Height 69.4 inches
Men's Average Weight 194.7 lbs

I am about 1 inch shorter than this height and 50 lbs lighter. I have plenty of room in our trailer's shower. In fact I had plenty of room in our 15' trailer's shower.

The solution to this problem is obvious. All people above this average size need to start practicing being smaller. If they devote themselves industriously to this endeavor, we will be able to entirely eliminate those disease spreading campground showers.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #55
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I copied these numbers from a statistical data web site.

Men's Average Height 69.4 inches
Men's Average Weight 194.7 lbs
Shorty, I'm glad I'm still taller than average, though the averages keep increasing; slightly above average wt. (all muscle, of course). This probably accounts for my belief the shower is kind of small, but ok for daily use. I can see how someone 6'2" or obese would feel really cramped.

My problem with it is the wheel well that gets in the way of my feet when I turn around. When I see showers without that wheel well, I wish I had one like it.

My wife never complains about the shower. She used to be 1/2" shorter than me, but is shrinking and is now 1 1/4" less. She won't tell me how much she weighs. So I guess she fits better than me (smaller feet may make a difference).

But the answer is to use the campground showers, get some loathsome disease and you will loose weight and fit better in the trailer. To get short, keep bending while carrying heavy weights and you will probably blow out a couple of discs and that may help you get shorter as the vertebrae scrap against each other. Also walk around with a 50 lb. weight on your head while jumping up and down. Of course you may still have a problem with the toilet if your knees hit a wall. The special reduction knee replacement may be a solution for that and the shower. Lop a few inches off your tibia or fibula or whatever that bone is and no problems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We use our airstream shower, we are both tall but it works beautifully. Sometimes we do take all of the kids to campground showers to get them over with quicker since there are nine of us, which takes forever one at a time! That's also lots of hit water and humidity.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If staying for more then 3 days I use the campground shower and my wife uses the AS shower. It is because I do not want to dump until we are leaving. I have always found teh showers at the state and national parks to be clean but at times very umid
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #58
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Well, we've been in this campground for a couple weeks now and using the AS shower. She's 5'11 and I'm 6'1. It's a little cramped, but we're used to this kind of arrangement. We're sailors, too. Wish I could get Airstream to do the interior of our catamaran.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
My 5 yo daughter is my camping buddy, so I use the shower in the AS when she is with me because I cant leave her by herself. If the DW goes along, I will use the campground facilities. I agree with monkeypants, the AS shower is doable, but at 6'-7" its really tight.
I usually leave the rooftop exhaust fan running all the time when we are camping. If the weather is nice, i keep the bathroom window open to control humidity. so far i haven't had too much of an issue with moisture.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Unlike the "glamour" baths in anything basically larger than us (and interstate), we obviously have the "all in one". We have always taken showers in our AS. I know it's clean and it's a good incentive to limit the number of s'mores I may eat! I'm 5'2...he's 5'8. If we couldn't fit properly, we wouldn't have gotten it! As for water, we've never run out. So we conserve...

Also, it doesn't get humid because the bathroom door opens up right to the entrance door - best ventilation!
btw - I like the 2012 16' bathroom door location.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote