Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Milton , Washington
Angry Who would have thought they would steal my....

.....trailer hitch in Boise, Idaho. When going about town to shop someone stole my trailer hitch. Bodily's in Meridian, ID helped me out considerably in replacing it. So I recommend a lock for all hitches to anyone who travels. Prob should have thought of it but who woulda thunk..
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
They are stolen all the time, including one of my draw bars in Albuquerque. I was lucky it was an old El Cheapo. Take em off or lock em.

Last weekend I saw something really dumb. For some unknown reason, maybe they thought it was easier, someone near Santa Fe left a whole weight distributing hitch attached to their Sovereign in a very public campground. The $500+ weight distributing hitch was still coupled to the coach. The owner just pulled the draw bar pin and drove off for 2 1/2 days.

This person (I hope you are listening) also left her dog with no food and a shelter that blew away. This was in the Sangre de Christo Mountains at 8500'. There was heavy frost both nights.I fed the short haired dog several times, set up the shelter and I was the guy who called animal control.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Some people lock their hitches to their TV, some lock them to their trailer. Not locking a hitch is asking for trouble.

Marshall - Thank you for the care you showed the dog and I am glad you made that call. I would have done the same thing in a heart beat.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall

\\ Polite Snip //

I fed the short haired dog several times, set up the shelter and I was the guy who called animal control.
thank you for us all, including K9.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
I fed the short haired dog several times, set up the shelter and I was the guy who called animal control.
Good karma for you!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
This person (I hope you are listening) also left her dog with no food and a shelter that blew away. This was in the Sangre de Christo Mountains at 8500'. There was heavy frost both nights.I fed the short haired dog several times, set up the shelter and I was the guy who called animal control.
One of the reasons we are Airstreamers is because we have a dog. It's people like this that will ruin it for all of us pet owners in the future at RV Parks. They have enough rules now and its for those pet owners that don't respect others.

In the future maybe along with animal control removing the animal maybe a tow truck could remove the trailer too.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Thank you for stepping in with help!! Our furkids are way too important part of the family for any of them to be mistreated! Did those people have an emergency or did they have someone who failed to take care of the pet?? Sounds fishy! *)* We've seen some sights on the road that make you wonder why these people have animals!!!

Thanks again for helping the little guy out!

Phil/Edee
Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
Thank you for stepping in with help!! Our furkids are way too important part of the family for any of them to be mistreated! Did those people have an emergency or did they have someone who failed to take care of the pet?? Sounds fishy! *)* We've seen some sights on the road that make you wonder why these people have animals!!!

Thanks again for helping the little guy out!

Phil/Edee
You wonder how some of these people actually survive themselves.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I refer to them as people from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Richard

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I always put a pad lock in the pin. Not that they can't take, but I'm determined to make it as difficault as possible.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I refer to them as people from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Yep, and the pool is empty.

Thanks so much for helping the pup. I'd have done exactly the same.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Good job Marshal! It's a shame that dogs can't pick thier owners.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
We use a pin lock instead of the traditional hitch pin .It uses a round
style key and a rubber cover that keeps it dirt an moisture free .Hope I
never lose the key though ,no ones gonna get the hitch thats for sure .
I keep the WD bars in the Travelall so they are with the vehical all the time .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
i just borrow the neigboors wherever i'm at...

seems to work out.

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sorry to hear you lost your hitch head. It's a good thing you were able to locate a replacement nearby.

We also put a hitch lock on the trailer so someone can't come in and hook up and haul the trailer - or, heaven forbid, should we have a problem somewhere and the trailer has to sit alone for a period. It's bad enough losing a hitch, but to lose the whole trailer would be heart breaking.

I'm paranoid about the whole theft factor of hitch and components, removable mirrors, and the trailer itself after one of our car club members had his very expensive car hauler ripped off from behind his shop - and they had to tow it past his house to get it out. It had to happen during a normal workweek day in broad daylight and he was dumbstruck that anyone even knew it was there other than neighbors as it was not easily visible from the road.

As for someone who would leave a dog or any pet in those circumstances you can only hope they get treated in some similar fashion at some time in their lives. This does raise issues though for folks who do leave a pet out while they are away for just a couple of hours and then something catastrophic happens like a health or car accident issue. I guess one should have a tag near the door that has an emergency phone number to call posted on their trailer - so if a pet is in distress or some other issue is occurring at the trailer while in town shopping or whatever you can be contacted. Just a thought, and something I guess I need to add to my trailer now that I think about it.

Barry
Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You can get free stickers from the ASPCA. It is called a pet safety pack.
They are a good organization and I support them. Their list of poison plants saved my yellow labs life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	47177  

Richard

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Time we all get paranoid

Sept. was a BAD month for us.On 3 Sept my wife had her shopping cart stolen INSIDE Safeway store in Flagstaff AZ after she had paid for it and stopped to load the ice into it.She turnd around and it was gone. The store was very very nice about it and replaced all the items.
Then on 29 Sept our Honda 2000 generator wha stolen at Canyon point campground AZ.It WAS tied to trailer with a security cable and hardend clock.This CG has an 8ft tall Elk fence around it with only one enterance with guard shack.
This stealing of quite type generators is getting worse all the time since many people are willing to buy "USED GENERATORS"most of the time not used by the sellers.
Our new generator in now mounted on a plate that I park the trailer tire on ,then tie it to the trailer wheel with an Alarm-it cable.All hitch items stored inside TV.
I am now working with on an alarm system that uses motion detectors with alams that make noise when they go off.(HOPE they wake me up).Want to stop them BEFORE the damage is done.Will be trying this next week on our 3 week trip. Your shot gun is NO help in the bad guys if you DO NOT know the bad guys are at your RV.
WE ALL need to secure our stuff now day.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I'm sorry to hear about your hitch, but glad you were able to find help locally. I use a locking pin on my hitch, but always seem to be banging up against the hitch in the camp ground. I saw a good idea in Florida earlier in the year. The camper had removed the hitch from his TV and locked the ball into the hitch receiver of the trailer. It looked like reasonable security for his hitch and no more banged legs when moving around the TV.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
Then on 29 Sept our Honda 2000 generator wha stolen at Canyon point campground AZ.It WAS tied to trailer with a security cable and hardend clock.This CG has an 8ft tall Elk fence around it with only one enterance with guard shack.
This stealing of quite type generators is getting worse all the time since many people are willing to buy "USED GENERATORS"most of the time not used by the sellers.
Our new generator in now mounted on a plate that I park the trailer tire on ,then tie it to the trailer wheel with an Alarm-it cable.All hitch items stored inside TV.
I have been playing around with the idea of permanently mounting mine in the rear of my pickup. Not sure how this would function though, anyone with a bright idea on this point is welcome to contact me

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have been playing around with the idea of permanently mounting mine in the rear of my pickup. Not sure how this would function though, anyone with a bright idea on this point is welcome to contact me
Pick up would be good ,all you have to do is take bolts out of rubber feet on bottom of generator put longer metric bolt thru a plate or pickup bed.Would want bolt heads where they can not get to them or grind heads round so it would be hard to get them out.DO NOT mount on back of trailer it might start problems with you frame.