Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sorry to hear you lost your hitch head. It's a good thing you were able to locate a replacement nearby.

We also put a hitch lock on the trailer so someone can't come in and hook up and haul the trailer - or, heaven forbid, should we have a problem somewhere and the trailer has to sit alone for a period. It's bad enough losing a hitch, but to lose the whole trailer would be heart breaking.

I'm paranoid about the whole theft factor of hitch and components, removable mirrors, and the trailer itself after one of our car club members had his very expensive car hauler ripped off from behind his shop - and they had to tow it past his house to get it out. It had to happen during a normal workweek day in broad daylight and he was dumbstruck that anyone even knew it was there other than neighbors as it was not easily visible from the road.

As for someone who would leave a dog or any pet in those circumstances you can only hope they get treated in some similar fashion at some time in their lives. This does raise issues though for folks who do leave a pet out while they are away for just a couple of hours and then something catastrophic happens like a health or car accident issue. I guess one should have a tag near the door that has an emergency phone number to call posted on their trailer - so if a pet is in distress or some other issue is occurring at the trailer while in town shopping or whatever you can be contacted. Just a thought, and something I guess I need to add to my trailer now that I think about it.

Barry

Old 10-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can get free stickers from the ASPCA. It is called a pet safety pack.
They are a good organization and I support them. Their list of poison plants saved my yellow labs life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	47177  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Time we all get paranoid

Sept. was a BAD month for us.On 3 Sept my wife had her shopping cart stolen INSIDE Safeway store in Flagstaff AZ after she had paid for it and stopped to load the ice into it.She turnd around and it was gone. The store was very very nice about it and replaced all the items.
Then on 29 Sept our Honda 2000 generator wha stolen at Canyon point campground AZ.It WAS tied to trailer with a security cable and hardend clock.This CG has an 8ft tall Elk fence around it with only one enterance with guard shack.
This stealing of quite type generators is getting worse all the time since many people are willing to buy "USED GENERATORS"most of the time not used by the sellers.
Our new generator in now mounted on a plate that I park the trailer tire on ,then tie it to the trailer wheel with an Alarm-it cable.All hitch items stored inside TV.
I am now working with on an alarm system that uses motion detectors with alams that make noise when they go off.(HOPE they wake me up).Want to stop them BEFORE the damage is done.Will be trying this next week on our 3 week trip. Your shot gun is NO help in the bad guys if you DO NOT know the bad guys are at your RV.
WE ALL need to secure our stuff now day.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I'm sorry to hear about your hitch, but glad you were able to find help locally. I use a locking pin on my hitch, but always seem to be banging up against the hitch in the camp ground. I saw a good idea in Florida earlier in the year. The camper had removed the hitch from his TV and locked the ball into the hitch receiver of the trailer. It looked like reasonable security for his hitch and no more banged legs when moving around the TV.
AIR#809
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
Then on 29 Sept our Honda 2000 generator wha stolen at Canyon point campground AZ.It WAS tied to trailer with a security cable and hardend clock.This CG has an 8ft tall Elk fence around it with only one enterance with guard shack.
This stealing of quite type generators is getting worse all the time since many people are willing to buy "USED GENERATORS"most of the time not used by the sellers.
Our new generator in now mounted on a plate that I park the trailer tire on ,then tie it to the trailer wheel with an Alarm-it cable.All hitch items stored inside TV.
I have been playing around with the idea of permanently mounting mine in the rear of my pickup. Not sure how this would function though, anyone with a bright idea on this point is welcome to contact me

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have been playing around with the idea of permanently mounting mine in the rear of my pickup. Not sure how this would function though, anyone with a bright idea on this point is welcome to contact me
Pick up would be good ,all you have to do is take bolts out of rubber feet on bottom of generator put longer metric bolt thru a plate or pickup bed.Would want bolt heads where they can not get to them or grind heads round so it would be hard to get them out.DO NOT mount on back of trailer it might start problems with you frame.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Pick up would be good ,all you have to do is take bolts out of rubber feet on bottom of generator put longer metric bolt thru a plate or pickup bed.Would want bolt heads where they can not get to them or grind heads round so it would be hard to get them out.
I wonder how that would work with a shell on? I had thought about rigging up some sort of slide out, but that seemed trouble bound.

and the
My Blog

Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I wonder how that would work with a shell on? I had thought about rigging up some sort of slide out, but that seemed trouble bound.
Do you mean CAMPER SHELL? You would want to leave tail gate open when running.But they can not just run up and cut cable and run.If you wanted to you could put a motion detector with alarm at tail gate of camper shell,if they went in alarm would go off. Then you could .
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Do you mean CAMPER SHELL? You would want to leave tail gate open when running.But they can not just run up and cut cable and run.If you wanted to you could put a motion detector with alarm at tail gate of camper shell,if they went in alarm would go off. Then you could .
Sorry, I do mean camper shell, but bolted down like suggested.

and the
My Blog

Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Will your electic plug reach your PU if you are parked in front of your trailer? Many of the places I park it is not possible to park behind the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Will your electic plug reach your PU if you are parked in front of your trailer? Many of the places I park it is not possible to park behind the trailer.
It will with my extension cord.

and the
My Blog

Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
On a related happy note. Putting new seals on a window yesterday and in a rush to leave - left a brand ne 18 volt drill sitting streetside of the trailer. Went back out today and it was gone....

Someone picked it up and set it between the curbside tires....
Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
On a related happy note. Putting new seals on a window yesterday and in a rush to leave - left a brand ne 18 volt drill sitting streetside of the trailer. Went back out today and it was gone....

Someone picked it up and set it between the curbside tires....
So you got it back! Good! I had to read it twice to see...First I thought it was between the tires and you left with the trailer (which would have run over the drill...).
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
[This person (I hope you are listening) also left her dog with no food and a shelter that blew away. This was in the Sangre de Christo Mountains at 8500'. There was heavy frost both nights.I fed the short haired dog several times, set up the shelter and I was the guy who called animal control.]

Good job, i'm very glad i wasn't there! Last week two 4 month old pups were wondering around my yard. No doubt someone just dumped them, now i don't know what to do with them, i already have 2 of my own.

I'm going up to N Georgia for a rally and i'm really pretty sick over what to do with them. I really can't keep them, we want to go cross country for 3 months this summer, 4 dogs in a 23 ft, ahh. Humane Society kills them after 6 days or so, i'm very bumbed. Help!