Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I do because my cat's head is too small, lol
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Niece near Buffalo, NY wanted a Potato Hat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
"When in Idaho... a potato stitched into your hat is appropriate, there."
You hurt me there, Ray. How about keeping the folks from looking dated and updating my fine state's reputation by them getting a ball cap with a canoe, kayak, mountains, fish of all sorts, elk, mule deer, Idaho RMEF emblem etc. instead. jon
My wife's brother's daughter wanted an Idaho Potato HAT. Could not find one, but we did find a couple of Potato Tee Shirts in Idaho. She loves them.

She spent her Freshman and Sophomore years of College in New York.

She is now at the University of Idaho- Pocatello as a Junior and will be a Senior this Fall for an outdoor degree. Wildlife Management or something in that area. Found a Potato Head boyfriend as well. We will see how this works out. She is not leaving Idaho and had always wanted to live there. Why? That would be another Thread when we find out the "rest of this story".

I suspect she might be wearing the Idaho hat with the large rack Bull Elk, but wearing the Potato Tee Shirt as her favorite from her Uncle and Aunt. We still look for the giant missing potato on the 18 wheeler flat bed... has anyone found it in their backyard, yet?:

Five Guys Burgers in Castle Rock, CO posts on the wall the name of the farm and the location in Idaho, where their Idaho Potatoes come from to make their fries. Not one mention of Elk, Deer, Fish, Birds or raft trips down the Columbia River.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
This is great... !! I ware a camo aussie style bush hat everywhere.. Keeps the punks at bay as they think I might be a old pissed off Nam sniper or something. I also am given some extra elbow room at the fast food joint when in line. I can throw it in the washer and it takes on a different mood and shape every time I do. Trying to find one any more thats 100% cotton is getting harder as years roll by..

One thing about them that most dont know about is on a hot 104f day you can soak it in water and I swear it lowers the temp 30 degrees.. Works better in a dry area where its not humid..

Nothing upsets me more than when a local farm suppler hands me a $4 ball cap with his name across the front after buying $100k worth of farm supplies or a $300K combine.. I don;t feel I need to pay then advertise for free..

No matter what,, the hat makes the man and tells the world who you are..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WHO wears the HAT while on the road?

A ball cap is a boys cap, no matter how It's worn. A mans hat is just that. It has a brim worthy of the definition. Same for shirts. A tee shirt is underwear. Doesn't take much to dress decently no matter the activity. And tattoos are beyond the pale. Population with greatest number tattooed is in prison. Not a surprise for those who have no control in their lives. What of the rest?

Societies in decline, which is us just as with the later Romans, come to copy the lower classes. Some strange sense of authenticity is attached to it, and it is damned near as pitiable as having a Harley. That bs term "lifestyle" attaching to it all.

A hat denotes some activity. I've plenty of them, but the hard hat is worn the most as its a work requirement. Sad it is to see hat wearers without even the rain and sun protection of a brain bucket. Sadder still those without the sense to have anything at hand when the weather changes. Or they have to walk.

Let's not get started on footwear.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Am I the only one with a real coonskin cap? I have a variety of ball caps, (which go from brand new on down to fish cleaning duty but never get tossed out) the boonie hat, Indiana Jones style, Panama Jack wide brim, etc. But when I was at Fort Foster (Florida, near Zephyrhills) I met a very nice young lady, selling various fur hats. She seemed aware that people might object and had made her own sign about it. I forget most of it but the last line was "If you want reality, go to Disney World."

Anyway, I asked her where she got the hats. Mind you, this girl was about 17 years old. She said she either raised or trapped the animals, cleaned the pelts and made the hats, no help from anyone. She went to various places like Fort Foster and this was how she was making a living.

Probably more than you wanted to know. After talking to her I had to buy a coonskin hat, I've wanted one since first grade (Davy Crockett you know) so now I have one, I wear it while I drive and I thoroughly enjoy it. So if you see a guy pulling an AS and wearing a coonskin hat, he's somewhere in his second childhood and having a good time. Please wave
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A ball cap is a boys cap, no matter how It's worn. A mans hat is just that. It has a brim worthy of the definition. Same for shirts. A tee shirt is underwear. Doesn't take much to dress decently no matter the activity. And tattoos are beyond the pale. Population with greatest number tattooed is in prison. Not a surprise for those who have no control in their lives. What of the rest?

Societies in decline, which is us just as with the later Romans, come to copy the lower classes. Some strange sense of authenticity is attached to it, and it is damned near as pitiable as having a Harley. That bs term "lifestyle" attaching to it all.

A hat denotes some activity. I've plenty of them, but the hard hat is worn the most as its a work requirement. Sad it is to see hat wearers without even the rain and sun protection of a brain bucket. Sadder still those without the sense to have anything at hand when the weather changes. Or they have to walk.

Let's not get started on footwear.

I was expecting this to end with, "and stay off my lawn!" 😜
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WHO wears the HAT while on the road?

In your case, amigo, it would be turn down the radio since its past ten and quit cutting across my RV space on your way to the shower room. 😘

I guess the linked "essay" (a rant) got me going.

That no one makes judgments based on appearances is a falsehood. They're telling.

But hats are functional first.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh.. btw. I have a really nice friend who knitted a perfect fitting Knit 'watch' cap... can't wait till it cools off again!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But hats are functional first.
Hi, I was never a hat person, but as I age, a ball cap helps block the bright light that hurts my eyes; And after some surgeries for skin cancer, mostly on my face, I now wear hats. Ball cap while driving and full rim when outside.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yeah....a crash helmet.

I'm still a little nervous.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ranches Have gone to Ball Caps... free or not, as working attire

Ball caps are now common Ranch attire at Wyoming and western Nebraska Ranches and Farms, as standard head gear. Horses have been replaced with ATV's. That is as off the grid as one can get for attire. Dude Ranches sport western hats and helmets.

You will not see a Rancher wearing a helmet while riding a horse or driving an ATV. Even the calf castration roundups have a mix of ball caps and wide brim western hats. No body armor, either. Gives a new meaning to "Ball Cap".

My handkerchief in my back pocket is a quick piece of headgear to tie around my forehead when sweat is running into my eyes and a ball cap is not immediately available. After a hard day of prospecting, it is not unusual to change hats to let one dry out. A hat to keep the rain off my head or one another to shade my head. None are fashion statements. I care less about condition. Only if it is doing its job or not.

I spend more time outdoors than indoors, whenever the sun is shining and there is ground to cover to explore. Boots and socks get wet from sweat, needing to swap them out to dry. If you have not dug for trilobites or fossil fish and moved a couple tons of shale before... you really need a British Victorian Hat with flowers and ribbons.

Canvas, wool, straw or cotton all weather head protection works for me. When there is a strong wind... ball cap time. There is a time and season for all head gear. I do wear a helmet while skiing Colorado slopes.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I favor Panamas for style, but mine don't see a lot of wear. Since form follows function, a straw lifeguard style wide brim hat for outdoors on hot sunny days and SUP. and a bell full face helmet for cruising around on the Vespa.
Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Anyone interested... For a bit more you can have a Texas Handmade original..

Standard Hat Works - Home

Silver Mist is a color offered...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
No hat?!?

Seriously? You guys don't wear hats?!? It rains and snows and sun will burn head>>>

"A man is not completely dressed without a hat".
Grandmother Bergeron, Amherst, Mass, 1960....I suppose I'm the only one that actually listened to and did what Grandmother Bergeron said? Geez.

I guess I have enough for ALL of us...I stopped counting at over 100+ fedoras.

Oh, you include caps?? That's a whole other chapter.
Still have Old #1...1964 Yankee baseball cap with leather sweat band...I wore it watching Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris play in 1964 Worlds Series in person.

At least six hats stay IN the '64 Airstream...vintage Stetson Open Roads, Dobbs 5th Avenue, Panama straw, Stormy Kromer for cold,....and obligatory original Wally Byam blue fedora.

Sunbody makes the best modern straws...Akubra still makes nice Stetson pattern fedoras...now called "Camp Draft".

Be careful, hats are another SubCulture Cult like Airstreams and Whizzer motorbikes.

Aren't your heads cold?
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When I wear one it's a US Flag on front hat given to me by a mother of a fallen Hero (I was State Captain of the Patriot Guard Riders at the time) and it was her way of thinking us. OR I wear my Augusta National Golf Club members hat. Nope not a member, but got to play it a number of times and bought the hat in the members pro shop. OR I wear a black American Flag hat sent to me by a contractor friend over in Afghanistan.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote