Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Oh boy, where to start.... Two Tillys, one replaced for free by Tilly for the old mostly worn out one, two Borsalino Fedoras-one beaver felt one Panama, an Akubra fur felt Aussie outback style, an old beat up Stetson gun club, an Orvis straw for fishing and golf, an Outback waxed cotton rain hat, multiple ball caps for various occasions, and a felt Resistol cowboy hat. Oh and a full blown plains feathered headdress. I wear a hat every day since the first MOHs procedure. Once was enough for that.

I really like Sean's pith helmet (LoLoHo). Gotta get one of those for the Safari!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I have a 25 year old cotton duck Eddie Bauer safari hat that has been worn, sweated in, and perfectly crown creased when I pinch it between my thumb and forefinger ti adjust it. It looks like a civil war era slouch hat!

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I am a redneck, but I don't need to advertise the fact with a sunburned neck.
I wear a hat with a generous brim full circle ( some call it a cowboy hat). I generally wear them until they are shredded. To be able to keep them that long I attach a cork to the back of the hat band to provide some flotation. Seems all the hats I like are "sinkers". Which means when they blow off I have to turn the boat around quickly to retrieve them before they are too deep to recover. The cork gives me the time needed and makes them easier to find.

Sam
Old 05-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
For me it's straw hats with pins and name tags from rallies and a pair of Ray Ban Aviators-
The hats live in the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
"When in Idaho... a potato stitched into your hat is appropriate, there."
You hurt me there, Ray. How about keeping the folks from looking dated and updating my fine state's reputation by them getting a ball cap with a canoe, kayak, mountains, fish of all sorts, elk, mule deer, Idaho RMEF emblem etc. instead. jon
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I have a small selection of "working" baseball hats - each has its own purpose: there's the workin'-in-the-yard hat, the workshop hat, the outdoor recreation hat, the trip-to-the-city hat, the goin'-out-for-supper hat and the Sunday-goin-to-meetin' hat.

You'll see that they are listed in a bit of an order - perhaps better defined by the severity and width of the sweat stain .....

A new hat gets added to the collection annually when on vacation - and it takes me a long time to make a choice.

Once a new hat gets added it takes the prime spot then the rest get bumped down a notch to the next lowest level - with the lowest level hat being retired to the smelly-hat-box in the basement.

Drives my wife nuts .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I do because my cat's head is too small, lol
Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Niece near Buffalo, NY wanted a Potato Hat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
"When in Idaho... a potato stitched into your hat is appropriate, there."
You hurt me there, Ray. How about keeping the folks from looking dated and updating my fine state's reputation by them getting a ball cap with a canoe, kayak, mountains, fish of all sorts, elk, mule deer, Idaho RMEF emblem etc. instead. jon
My wife's brother's daughter wanted an Idaho Potato HAT. Could not find one, but we did find a couple of Potato Tee Shirts in Idaho. She loves them.

She spent her Freshman and Sophomore years of College in New York.

She is now at the University of Idaho- Pocatello as a Junior and will be a Senior this Fall for an outdoor degree. Wildlife Management or something in that area. Found a Potato Head boyfriend as well. We will see how this works out. She is not leaving Idaho and had always wanted to live there. Why? That would be another Thread when we find out the "rest of this story".

I suspect she might be wearing the Idaho hat with the large rack Bull Elk, but wearing the Potato Tee Shirt as her favorite from her Uncle and Aunt. We still look for the giant missing potato on the 18 wheeler flat bed... has anyone found it in their backyard, yet?:

Five Guys Burgers in Castle Rock, CO posts on the wall the name of the farm and the location in Idaho, where their Idaho Potatoes come from to make their fries. Not one mention of Elk, Deer, Fish, Birds or raft trips down the Columbia River.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
This is great... !! I ware a camo aussie style bush hat everywhere.. Keeps the punks at bay as they think I might be a old pissed off Nam sniper or something. I also am given some extra elbow room at the fast food joint when in line. I can throw it in the washer and it takes on a different mood and shape every time I do. Trying to find one any more thats 100% cotton is getting harder as years roll by..

One thing about them that most dont know about is on a hot 104f day you can soak it in water and I swear it lowers the temp 30 degrees.. Works better in a dry area where its not humid..

Nothing upsets me more than when a local farm suppler hands me a $4 ball cap with his name across the front after buying $100k worth of farm supplies or a $300K combine.. I don;t feel I need to pay then advertise for free..

No matter what,, the hat makes the man and tells the world who you are..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WHO wears the HAT while on the road?

A ball cap is a boys cap, no matter how It's worn. A mans hat is just that. It has a brim worthy of the definition. Same for shirts. A tee shirt is underwear. Doesn't take much to dress decently no matter the activity. And tattoos are beyond the pale. Population with greatest number tattooed is in prison. Not a surprise for those who have no control in their lives. What of the rest?

Societies in decline, which is us just as with the later Romans, come to copy the lower classes. Some strange sense of authenticity is attached to it, and it is damned near as pitiable as having a Harley. That bs term "lifestyle" attaching to it all.

A hat denotes some activity. I've plenty of them, but the hard hat is worn the most as its a work requirement. Sad it is to see hat wearers without even the rain and sun protection of a brain bucket. Sadder still those without the sense to have anything at hand when the weather changes. Or they have to walk.

Let's not get started on footwear.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Am I the only one with a real coonskin cap? I have a variety of ball caps, (which go from brand new on down to fish cleaning duty but never get tossed out) the boonie hat, Indiana Jones style, Panama Jack wide brim, etc. But when I was at Fort Foster (Florida, near Zephyrhills) I met a very nice young lady, selling various fur hats. She seemed aware that people might object and had made her own sign about it. I forget most of it but the last line was "If you want reality, go to Disney World."

Anyway, I asked her where she got the hats. Mind you, this girl was about 17 years old. She said she either raised or trapped the animals, cleaned the pelts and made the hats, no help from anyone. She went to various places like Fort Foster and this was how she was making a living.

Probably more than you wanted to know. After talking to her I had to buy a coonskin hat, I've wanted one since first grade (Davy Crockett you know) so now I have one, I wear it while I drive and I thoroughly enjoy it. So if you see a guy pulling an AS and wearing a coonskin hat, he's somewhere in his second childhood and having a good time. Please wave

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A ball cap is a boys cap, no matter how It's worn. A mans hat is just that. It has a brim worthy of the definition. Same for shirts. A tee shirt is underwear. Doesn't take much to dress decently no matter the activity. And tattoos are beyond the pale. Population with greatest number tattooed is in prison. Not a surprise for those who have no control in their lives. What of the rest?

Societies in decline, which is us just as with the later Romans, come to copy the lower classes. Some strange sense of authenticity is attached to it, and it is damned near as pitiable as having a Harley. That bs term "lifestyle" attaching to it all.

A hat denotes some activity. I've plenty of them, but the hard hat is worn the most as its a work requirement. Sad it is to see hat wearers without even the rain and sun protection of a brain bucket. Sadder still those without the sense to have anything at hand when the weather changes. Or they have to walk.

Let's not get started on footwear.

I was expecting this to end with, "and stay off my lawn!" 😜
Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
WHO wears the HAT while on the road?

In your case, amigo, it would be turn down the radio since its past ten and quit cutting across my RV space on your way to the shower room. 😘

I guess the linked "essay" (a rant) got me going.

That no one makes judgments based on appearances is a falsehood. They're telling.

But hats are functional first.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Oh.. btw. I have a really nice friend who knitted a perfect fitting Knit 'watch' cap... can't wait till it cools off again!!!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote