Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Who Wants Yosemite Reservations For Easter Weekend?

Hi Folks -

We booked three separate campsite reservations for campgrounds in Yosemite Valley, right in the park. We made these reservations months ago and plans have changed. We'll only be using one of the campsites in Upper Pines - six people, one trailer! So, now we have two available reservations. One is for Lower Pines, the other, Upper Pines.

Both reservations are for three nights, arriving Friday, April 22nd and departing Monday, April 25th.

(Not to get anyone's hopes up, but the sites can not accommodate larger trailers. Although they have long back in driveways - 27 feet, the reservations site states that trailers must be considerably smaller. Unless you are highly confident in your back up skills and be willing to possibly unhitch and hitch the trailer back up to get the right angle it's not advisable to try this with an Overlander or anything larger than 22 foot Safari.)

We don't want them to go to waste and thought that some folks on the forum could use them. We'd love to see some more aluminum in the Valley.

Please let us know if you're interested and we'll provide additional details.

Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View From Our 1974 Tradewind Northside Drive Yosemite 2010.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	127203  

Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Just an aside; there is a free app for the iPhone for Yosemite NP. It is great. From Chimani. There are other NP free apps available for this week only as well. Try it!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor537 View Post
Just an aside; there is a free app for the iPhone for Yosemite NP. It is great. From Chimani. There are other NP free apps available for this week only as well. Try it!
Thanks so much for the info! We'll download it later this evening.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
What's a rivet?

2008 23' International CCD
Napa , California
HI Gemma and Murray
Would the one in Upper Pine work for our 23 ? What number is it and I can check the YNP
website too.
Thanks, Daniel
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Hi Daniel!

We're at our storage facility working on the trailer. We'll check when we get home and will PM you with the information.

Wouldn't that be great?! We'd hang out with you and Kathleen two weekends in a row!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Oh!

Hi Folks -

We received a PM and just realized that we didn't post a price for the reservations.

We're not looking to make a profit - we're releasing the reservations for what we paid for them, $20/night and $10 for the transfer fee that the NPS will charge us.

We just don't want to waste the reservations (our home was like CentCom at 7am on the day the reservations became available) and hope that some folks on AirForums can use them.

Happy trails!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Yay!

Okay Folks -

We have one site left. We just transferred the Lower Pines campsite to a lovely family with three daughters. It will be there first time with their trailer to Yosemite! We're so excited and happy that they'll be able to use the site.

If you're interested in camping in Yosemite, at Upper Pines, this weekend please let us know!

Happy trails,
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Hanford , California
I saw a blurb on CNN that some people are booking reservations and reselling for hundreds of dollars. The NPS is investigating.

2012 International 27FB
2011 F-250 CC Lariat Diesel
18driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Economics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18driver View Post
I saw a blurb on CNN that some people are booking reservations and reselling for hundreds of dollars. The NPS is investigating.
Ah, yes, we're sure they probably aced their Economics 101 class. Supply and Demand.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint louis , Missouri
Hey all - hope you had great camping this weekend - i have a question about camping in Yosemite - how do you fare with no hookups - is there a place to dump or get water nearby? Do you use a generator at all? We plan to camp thee in June - my husband is an airconditioner dependent - I'm thinking it will be cool enough not to need it - any experience would be great - thanks
"Homer"
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'd be very surprised if you felt the need for air conditioning in Yosemite. It just doesn't get that hot and humid. The nights are always cooler, so opening your vents at night would cool the trailer right down. Yosemite is primarily a tent camping sort of place, so generators are allowed, and "may be used sparingly during daylight hours."

There are dump stations in Yosemite Valley, Wawona and Tuolumne Meadows. Water is available at hose bibs at the restrooms for filling buckets, but I don't know about places to fill water with a hose.

Do you have your campground reservations for June already? If you do, you'll know how sought after and tough to get they can be. If not, you'll probably be out of luck.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Hey all - hope you had great camping this weekend - i have a question about camping in Yosemite - how do you fare with no hookups - is there a place to dump or get water nearby? Do you use a generator at all? We plan to camp thee in June - my husband is an airconditioner dependent - I'm thinking it will be cool enough not to need it - any experience would be great - thanks
You won't need an airconditioner.... first of all, typical high temps that time of near are low 80s at the valley floor - and you're just not going to be in your trailer then, 'cause there's so much cool stuff to do and see there. Evening lows are in the 50s, typically. Many camp sites are shaded w/ trees, etc, so even less need for generators, etc.

Camp grounds all have water spigots; do yourself a favor and have a water can you can fill and move to your trailer.

I've camped in Yosemite many time, but never yet w/ the Airstream - one of these days! Do follow bear protocols, of course; the bears there are belligerent (well, to cars w/ food inside, anyway) and numerous.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Hello Lois!

We fare really well with no hookups while camping for a few nights in Yosemite, but then again we fare really well at Burning Man where we've camped without hookups for up to two weeks. It's a matter of using the resources available to you wisely.

None of the campsites in Yosemite National Park have hookups. We choose to use the nearby restrooms at the campgrounds when convenient. We also choose to take showers at Curry Village instead of using our trailer's shower.

There is a free dump station at the entrance to Upper Pines campground. There is also a hose bib at the station, but we doubt that it is potable water. Potable water is available at the campgrounds - the water quality is amazing. You will need a fill can with a nozzle to fill your trailer's fresh water tank if you wish to do so.

All of the "Pines" campgrounds are located in Yosemite Valley. All of the campgrounds are shaded by large pines and generally the weather at the sites on the Valley floor is temperate. That being said, we have been known to run the A/C on more than one occasion. (Hey, what can we say? We're from the Bay Area, where anything over seventy-five degrees constitutes a "heat wave" and anything below fifty-five degrees is a "cold front" in our minds. Murray's originally from Phoenix and he now heartily agrees.)

Please don't hesitate to post any additional questions or PM us if you'd like.

We hope you have a great time in Yosemite!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Gemma/Murray -

Did you retrofit gray water tanks? If not, what do you use to catch your gray water and have any parks given you any flak about it?

- Barbie