Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"Bob and Lee's random trip."

Hi, we went to Alaska a few years ago. We went alone. We were gone for 50 days and drove over 10,000 miles. A big part of "Bob and Lee's random trip" is the fact that we just go and never make reservations. We left home on July 1st and got home around August 20th.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
My wife and I just finished the WBCCI Alaska Caravan and we would recommend that Caravan to anyone. It is the experience of a life time. You will see and do things you will not do if you are along. Its is great fellowship and you will make friends for a life time. We traveled in groups of 5 or less Airstreams. A lot of members traveled along and did their own thing. As stated earlier in this thread we knew where our next stop was and how much time it took to get there. If you encounter a mechanical problem there is plenty of help to assist you.

We fished for Salmon and Halibut. Saw glaciers close up. There was lots of time to do things on our own.
Having been on 3 WBCCI caravans we are familiar with the routine part of that routine is why we want to travel in a small group, we like the flexibility of being able to stay longer in the places we enjoy and drive by those that we would not.
We have only good things to say about those caravans but do not feel that it would fit our wants when going to Alaska.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I forgot to include that this is not an Airstream caravan only, any motor home or travel trailer is welcome.

Gary
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Fairbanks , Alaska
I have lived in Fairbanks for the past 41 years and am now in the process of purchasing a new AS from a dealer in Oregon. Since, in my opinion, it is getting too late in the year to risk dragging the new trailer back to AK, the dealer has agreed to store the trailer until May.

I saw this thread and thought that it would be just the ticket since I really would like to have the experience of an Airstream veteran to travel with while on the ‘shake-down’ cruise back north. July and August are just too late in the year for me, but I am still interested in finding someone who might be heading this way in May.

My plans are to pick the AS up on May 15th and to maybe spend a few days outside in the Pacific NW-Montana area and then to begin the trip home. This would be my 16th round-trip on the AK Hwy from Fairbanks to Lower 48, even though the last time was in 1991 (My first was a hitch-hiking trip in 1972. I’ve been told the road has changed pretty significantly since then).
Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Paron , Arkansas
Alaskan Adventure

We are planning Alaska for next year. Had to postpone this years trip.
We traveled Alaska in 1996 and had a great time. At that time "The Milepost" had a suggestion for the Russian River Campground" "Bring a 30-06 caliber rifle or better". Salmon runs attract a good number of bear at that time. The Milepost has since deleted the suggestion.
Any way, we will be happy to share our schedule as we get closer.
Highlights are Drumheller Royal Terrel Museum, Edmonton Mall, Cassiar
highway, Hyder and Stewart, Tok, Chicken, Valdez to catch Pinks and/or Silvers from the bank near the oil terminal, Kenai Peninsula for clamming,
fishing and eagle viewing, having a quart cup of coffee from some of the road kiosks, Gold Panners Association claim gold panning, rock and mineral collecting, Dalton Highway for Grayling and gold panning. Maybe go by Haines and take the tour to see where the Schnabels mined.
It will be a full trip and there are other stops. Dawson City to watch someone have a "Sour Toe" cocktail and maybe Diamond Tooth Gerties Saloon.
Be happy to share some experiences. We camp and travel whenever and almost wherever we want to in Alaska so it is a very interesting time.

We'll send a schedule, emaill address, and cell phone to coordinate if you wish when final plans are made.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabbit View Post
We are planning Alaska for next year. Had to postpone this years trip.
We traveled Alaska in 1996 and had a great time. At that time "The Milepost" had a suggestion for the Russian River Campground" "Bring a 30-06 caliber rifle or better". Salmon runs attract a good number of bear at that time. The Milepost has since deleted the suggestion.
Any way, we will be happy to share our schedule as we get closer.
Highlights are Drumheller Royal Terrel Museum, Edmonton Mall, Cassiar
highway, Hyder and Stewart, Tok, Chicken, Valdez to catch Pinks and/or Silvers from the bank near the oil terminal, Kenai Peninsula for clamming,
fishing and eagle viewing, having a quart cup of coffee from some of the road kiosks, Gold Panners Association claim gold panning, rock and mineral collecting, Dalton Highway for Grayling and gold panning. Maybe go by Haines and take the tour to see where the Schnabels mined.
It will be a full trip and there are other stops. Dawson City to watch someone have a "Sour Toe" cocktail and maybe Diamond Tooth Gerties Saloon.
Be happy to share some experiences. We camp and travel whenever and almost wherever we want to in Alaska so it is a very interesting time.

We'll send a schedule, emaill address, and cell phone to coordinate if you wish when final plans are made.
I sent you a pm, it is nice to finally see another informative post on this thread instead of those who list all of the reasons what not to do or where not to go.

Gary
Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
After much research here is what we are thinking for our trip. Leave Ohio around June 10 heading for Banff/Jasper area spending maybe 4-7 days. Our next destination will be Haines Alaska, taking our time, maybe another 7/10 days. While in Haines we will check out Skagway. After 4-7 days in Haines we will get on the Alaska Marine Highway with 1-2 day stops at Juneau, Petersburg,Wrangal and ending up at Prince Rupert BC. Then head back through Yellowstone.

If this sounds like a trip you are interested in taking with us please PM us or email dietz5285@icloud.com

Gary
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please reconsider. That is like paying for the movies and leaving after the cartoons.

If you spend less than a month in Alaska you have wasted the time you took to get there.

Haines to Skagway is a full days trip one way and you have to go back into Canada to get there

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Please reconsider. That is like paying for the movies and leaving after the cartoons.

If you spend less than a month in Alaska you have wasted the time you took to get there.

Haines to Skagway is a full days trip one way and you have to go back into Canada to get there
Howie

How can you judge weather or not OUR trip will be to short or not? Do you know what we want to see or do? Are you aware that we have already been to Alaska 3 times in the past? Your assumption that it takes a full day to go from Haines to Skagway assumes that we would drive, we are planning on taking the ferry.

If you read any of my posts in this thread you would have seen that I have never asked for opinions, only if anyone else was interested in taking this trip with us, but yet you and others feel the need to try and influence OUR trip.

Why do so many people on here feel the need to hijack threads or reply with an a$$hole response? The same thing happened on Airstream Adventure Facebook page, maybe I am overly sensitive to your kind but I believe in the saying " If you have nothing good to say , say nothing"

This response may be a thread killer but I am going over to Good Sam forum, they have great HELPFUL INFORMATION with positive replies

Gary
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
No I was not aware that you had been to Alaska 3 times.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Castaway,

"Good Luck" on the "Good Sam" forums... I didn't see Howie's response as harmful, nor meant with ill intent. Your response, however, was definitely worthy of killing a thread.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #26
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post

Why do so many people on here feel the need to hijack threads or reply with an a$$hole response? The same thing happened on Airstream Adventure Facebook page, maybe I am overly sensitive to your kind but I believe in the saying " If you have nothing good to say , say nothing"

This response may be a thread killer but I am going over to Good Sam forum, they have great HELPFUL INFORMATION with positive replies

Gary
Sounds like a real fun trip!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Who wants to go to Alaska?

It seems like Howie was only providing some innocent advice. From the response you provided, I don't believe you would be the type of person that would make very pleasant traveling partner anyhow. Giving some thought to one's comments prior to pulling the trigger makes for a more civilized discussion. Good luck on the Good Sam Forum.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
...and good riddance.

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska