Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
White River National Forest (Colorado)

Well, we were planning on heading to Utah in Sept, but I've changed plans.
Now I'm looking at camping in the White River National Forest in Colorado. I've looked through a lot of National Forest Service Camp Grounds (NFS CG). They look great. However, they (for the most part) don't take reservations in September.
We would like to find a NFS CG that has a lake, and great hiking trails, and not too far to get supplies. We have a small generator, which I hate to run, but will if needed. I don't min hauling water in and out. We like peace and quiet.
Any recommendations in that part of Colo? With what I'm looking for..
Thanks
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I think it is just too early to make reservations for September. We like Silver Queen and Difficult. Near Aspen but a world away. Silver Queen is on the road to the Maroon Bells. Quiet and spectacular setting.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Unfortunately many USFS campgrounds close after Labor Day in CO. Check out allstays.com to review the CG's to find out which will still be open.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for the info. I know it's somewhat altitude dependent on how early some of them close up. I would need water at a minimum, but that's about it. Has that part of Colo been hit by the pine beetle as much as over by Steamboat Springs? We lime shade too.. I know, not too particular. Ha. I'll check out the websites and see if they don't open up Sept reservations. If I remember correctly, there was a state park over there also.
Thx
Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
September in Colorado is the best! Many higher elevation Colorado USFS campgrounds close after Labor Day. Lower elevation ones may be open until 10/1. Also, some have length restrictions. Allstays app will give you all the details. Rifle Gap State Park is on the Western Slope. It was nearly empty when we visited in September.
CloudDancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Silver Queen closes September 30, according to the web site. This campground is spectacular but I do not think it could accommodate a unit much more than 23-25 ft max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00348.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	232045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00345.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	598.9 KB
ID:	232046  

Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What about Trappers Lake east of Meeker? I remember going there a long time ago as a child on a family camping trip. There is one campground there that is reservable,
Sheppard's Rim. Closes 9/26. There are other campgrounds close to that campground but not reservable.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
Since you are traveling from Missouri, I'm assuming you are traveling on I-70. Your easiest access to dozens of campgrounds and hiking and/or biking trails in every direction is to keep heading East through the Eisenhower Tunnel to Summit County. Lake Dillon is in the middle of the valley with adjacent campgrounds. You will be near the towns of Silverthorne, Dillon, Frisco, and Breckenridge. The scenery is spectacular in every direction. Hiking trails are everywhere. Enjoy your journey through our beautiful state.
Ginny Tamblyn
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
How is Sylvan Lake SP?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Search for Two Chicks here on the Forums. They have a website that shows their camping adventures in Colorado. They've been to Sylvan Lake.

Our Glamping Adventures | It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. — Thoreau

Kelvin
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have camped all over Colorado and never stayed at a campground, just to much open camping (boondocking) to ever stay at a structured campground. Its quieter and I can let the dog off leash without offending someone else's version of utopia.
if you are interested in any of these type of camping let me know
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Try Heaton Bay in Frisco, CO. It's on Lake Dillon, and is not scheduled to close until Sept. 26th. Close to restaurants, ski resorts, shops, great fishing and hiking. Campsites are paved, very clean, and those that don't have lake views have exceptional mountain views. It's very convenient, just off I-70. One of the best spots I've found.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've got a electric site reserved at Heaton Bay in June when I return from Utah. Its too bad the pine bark beetles have devastated the trees around Dillon reservoir.

Kelvin
Old 02-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Search for Two Chicks here on the Forums. They have a website that shows their camping adventures in Colorado. They've been to Sylvan Lake.

Our Glamping Adventures | It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. — Thoreau

Kelvin
Kelvin,
It looks great to me. We are hoping to catch the aspens turning too. When in Sept did you go?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have camped all over Colorado and never stayed at a campground, just to much open camping (boondocking) to ever stay at a structured campground. Its quieter and I can let the dog off leash without offending someone else's version of utopia.
if you are interested in any of these type of camping let me know
Sent you a PM.
Thx
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Anyone with experience in Sylvan Lake, know which campsites to go for?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Can't remember which spot, but you want the Elk Run loop. Sites are somewhat similar with pull throughs on the outer loop and back-ins on the inside. Look at the google maps earth view to get an overview. The Fishermans CG is a parking space side by side, although close to the lake, it's elbow to elbow.

You may also want to check out Turquoise Lake near Leadville. There are a couple of CG's at both ends of the lake and not to far to an historical town with great bars and food.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 AM   #18
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Can't remember which spot, but you want the Elk Run loop. Sites are somewhat similar with pull throughs on the outer loop and back-ins on the inside. Look at the google maps earth view to get an overview. The Fishermans CG is a parking space side by side, although close to the lake, it's elbow to elbow.

You may also want to check out Turquoise Lake near Leadville. There are a couple of CG's at both ends of the lake and not to far to an historical town with great bars and food.
Thanks!
Took a quick peek at Turquoise Lake. Looks nice!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
September is a beautiful time to be in the Colorado High Country but finding a open campground above 8500 feet can be challenging. I suggest that you order "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and all the rest" by Gil Folsom. It will give you all the information you need to make your decision on where to stay. including the best site numbers. Amazon.com has old and current editions. We are natives who have camped the entire state and we still carry it with us all the time.
Turquoise Lake is a wonderful place to camp but if you're not used to functioning in very high altitude, I would suggest you find somewhere else. Leadville is 10,200 ft. It snows there regularly in September.
Good Luck.
Ginny
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #20
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal-Gin View Post
September is a beautiful time to be in the Colorado High Country but finding a open campground above 8500 feet can be challenging. I suggest that you order "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and all the rest" by Gil Folsom. It will give you all the information you need to make your decision on where to stay. including the best site numbers. Amazon.com has old and current editions. We are natives who have camped the entire state and we still carry it with us all the time.
Turquoise Lake is a wonderful place to camp but if you're not used to functioning in very high altitude, I would suggest you find somewhere else. Leadville is 10,200 ft. It snows there regularly in September.
Good Luck.
Ginny
Thanks for the info about "Colorado Campgrounds" I'm ordering it right now.
We've made four trips out to Colo to camp during Sept, all with the idea of catching the Aspens in perfect color, and maybe having a few less people on the trails and campgrounds. All but one has been great. We hit Lake City perfect one year, and had a fantastic week with the aspens at peak color, quiet trails, lots of fish, etc.. But we were also camped in Rocky Mtn a few years ago when all the rain came. It was a sad trip...
We would go back to either place (and others) in a heartbeat, but I'm always a bit more interested in seeing new places.. Sylvan Lake, and Turquoise Lake are both new to us, and I'm sure both are great. I'm picky about campsites, I figure if we are driving out for a week, let's try for the site that's shaded, but has a fantastic view, is quiet, but not too long of a hike to the outhouse, but up wind all the time, from the facilities, and is set up so that I can back in the AS and our dinette and awning look out over the campsite, and lake beyond.. Not asking for much.. Haha.. They are all good, we've taken the last site available and have always had a blast.
Thanks again for the info on the book.
Jeff