Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have camped all over Colorado and never stayed at a campground, just to much open camping (boondocking) to ever stay at a structured campground. Its quieter and I can let the dog off leash without offending someone else's version of utopia.
if you are interested in any of these type of camping let me know
Sent you a PM.
Thx

Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Anyone with experience in Sylvan Lake, know which campsites to go for?
Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Can't remember which spot, but you want the Elk Run loop. Sites are somewhat similar with pull throughs on the outer loop and back-ins on the inside. Look at the google maps earth view to get an overview. The Fishermans CG is a parking space side by side, although close to the lake, it's elbow to elbow.

You may also want to check out Turquoise Lake near Leadville. There are a couple of CG's at both ends of the lake and not to far to an historical town with great bars and food.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Can't remember which spot, but you want the Elk Run loop. Sites are somewhat similar with pull throughs on the outer loop and back-ins on the inside. Look at the google maps earth view to get an overview. The Fishermans CG is a parking space side by side, although close to the lake, it's elbow to elbow.

You may also want to check out Turquoise Lake near Leadville. There are a couple of CG's at both ends of the lake and not to far to an historical town with great bars and food.
Thanks!
Took a quick peek at Turquoise Lake. Looks nice!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
September is a beautiful time to be in the Colorado High Country but finding a open campground above 8500 feet can be challenging. I suggest that you order "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and all the rest" by Gil Folsom. It will give you all the information you need to make your decision on where to stay. including the best site numbers. Amazon.com has old and current editions. We are natives who have camped the entire state and we still carry it with us all the time.
Turquoise Lake is a wonderful place to camp but if you're not used to functioning in very high altitude, I would suggest you find somewhere else. Leadville is 10,200 ft. It snows there regularly in September.
Good Luck.
Ginny
Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal-Gin View Post
September is a beautiful time to be in the Colorado High Country but finding a open campground above 8500 feet can be challenging. I suggest that you order "Colorado Campgrounds: The 100 Best and all the rest" by Gil Folsom. It will give you all the information you need to make your decision on where to stay. including the best site numbers. Amazon.com has old and current editions. We are natives who have camped the entire state and we still carry it with us all the time.
Turquoise Lake is a wonderful place to camp but if you're not used to functioning in very high altitude, I would suggest you find somewhere else. Leadville is 10,200 ft. It snows there regularly in September.
Good Luck.
Ginny
Thanks for the info about "Colorado Campgrounds" I'm ordering it right now.
We've made four trips out to Colo to camp during Sept, all with the idea of catching the Aspens in perfect color, and maybe having a few less people on the trails and campgrounds. All but one has been great. We hit Lake City perfect one year, and had a fantastic week with the aspens at peak color, quiet trails, lots of fish, etc.. But we were also camped in Rocky Mtn a few years ago when all the rain came. It was a sad trip...
We would go back to either place (and others) in a heartbeat, but I'm always a bit more interested in seeing new places.. Sylvan Lake, and Turquoise Lake are both new to us, and I'm sure both are great. I'm picky about campsites, I figure if we are driving out for a week, let's try for the site that's shaded, but has a fantastic view, is quiet, but not too long of a hike to the outhouse, but up wind all the time, from the facilities, and is set up so that I can back in the AS and our dinette and awning look out over the campsite, and lake beyond.. Not asking for much.. Haha.. They are all good, we've taken the last site available and have always had a blast.
Thanks again for the info on the book.
Jeff
Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
I'm glad to meet someone as picky as we are about campsites. I will research for days to find the perfect spot and then try to secure it. September is our favorite month to be in the mountains. We live in Frisco and keep our 350 moho on our property which is at the west end of Lake Dillon. Last year the aspen were glorious with colors from gold to red.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
I'm glad to meet someone as picky as we are about campsites. I will research for days to find the perfect spot and then try to secure it. September is our favorite month to be in the mountains. We live in Frisco and keep our 350 moho on our property which is at the west end of Lake Dillon. Last year the aspen were glorious with colors from gold to red.
I'm horrible about it. One time we were camped on Lake Irwin up above Crested Butte, we had the pop-up and three kids. We had a site over the lake, but the door and awning were facing the wrong direction. I spun the pop-up 180 degrees so it was lined up right. We just about lost control of it though, and it would have gone over a pretty high cliff into the lake. Ha.. Did the same thing at OHaver Lake down near Salida.
The worst part is, we just don't spend that much time in camp. I like to hike and fish, etc.. But we do enjoy a good campfire in the evenings, and we will take our time getting out of camp in the mornings. Nothing better than blueberry pancakes cooked outside on the Coleman stove. Haha
Old 03-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Good Luck.
Ginny

Well Ginny,
The book arrived. We really liked the look of Baby Doe CG on Turquoise Lake, so we are in! It's at 9,300 ft, so it does close early.
We were able to book a site for a week though. We will be taking along our two person kayak, and hope to spend some time on the lake. Maybe even catch a few fish.. Ha
This part of Colorado is new to us, so we are excited to see it.
Thank you for the tip. (The book has a lot of additional info, for future trips!)

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Well Ginny,
The book arrived. We really liked the look of Baby Doe CG on Turquoise Lake, so we are in! It's at 9,300 ft, so it does close early.
We were able to book a site for a week though. We will be taking along our two person kayak, and hope to spend some time on the lake. Maybe even catch a few fish.. Ha
This part of Colorado is new to us, so we are excited to see it.
Thank you for the tip. (The book has a lot of additional info, for future trips!)

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Jeff,
We've camped at Baby Doe before and love it. I'm glad you got in before it closed for the season. You will love this trip through the Central Colorado High Country. If you're traveling on I - 70 you will go right by Frisco in Summit Count where we live. We would love to have you stop by for a visit.
Ginny & Hal Tamblyn
Old 03-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Jeff,
We've camped at Baby Doe before and love it. I'm glad you got in before it closed for the season. You will love this trip through the Central Colorado High Country. If you're traveling on I - 70 you will go right by Frisco in Summit Count where we live. We would love to have you stop by for a visit.
Ginny & Hal Tamblyn
Thank you! I will let you know when we are coming through. Our first night there, on a Sunday, we do not have a site reserved. We wanted one of the ones right next to the lake, and it was open starting Monday, I'm figuring there will be a site open up there somewhere.
Thanks again
Jeff